• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AM3 Socket - Ram Not Detected [SOLVED]

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Killing me boss, that's what I already said 6 posts up. Again, we are on the same page, no disagreement or confusion on my end.

You may have the last word now. :roll:

Oh I know haha the OP just isn't listening so I figured we could post useless things, until he tries a new CPU/Mobo

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
CPU might of had a IMC hernia or the Mobo Injured its VRM

Processor AMD FX-8350 @ 5 Ghz
Motherboard M5A99X EVO R2.0
Cooling Alphacool Block + Custom Loop
Memory HyperX FURY 1600 @ 2300 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7970
Case Thermaltake Mozart
Power Supply Dark Power Pro 1kW
My cpu power draw is between 220 and 250W on full load, according to the power socked draw I measured. Thanks for the time and effort guys, Saturday or tonight i will try a re-seat or something. I appreciate every bit of help you guys gave me, even the guys that didn't bother to read. I'm at work right now and i can't take my time on this thread, but will do as soon as possible. I'll keep you informed.

Case Thermaltake Mozart
Guys. Please. Read. A 8350 overclocked to 5 Ghz > 9590 because the 9590 uses turbo boost to go up to 5ghz and the turbo boost affects only some cores, not all. 101% my TDP is greater than a 9590's because the voltage(and therefore current draw and therefore power) exponentially increase when you go over 4.7-8 ghz (at least in my case they did). Overclocking this thing from 4.8 go 5ghz was the real fun and challenge. Doing this under 1.51-2 Core voltage was hard.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/members/dorsetknob.8331/
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/members/dorsetknob.8331/
dorsetknob - I respect your knowledge about electronics and I totally agree with everything you said.
I'm into electronics myself, I know what causes wear and tear to the different types of elements, I have even read the datasheet of my VRM's. By the way, my board has a pretty beefy power delivery, and I highly doubt it is the problem, thats why I posted here, to see what other guys think. Of course the first thing i thought when this thing happened was " bye bye, mobo/cpu" but I have had socket contact issues before on these AM3/2 sockets, thats why I still have hope. I didn't reseat my cpu right away because in order to do that i have to dissasemble 2/3 of the machine.

Once again, thanks for the time, guys. If the cpu is dead, I promise to fry a low TDP athlon/sempron or whatever I can find for the test :D I have a 155W Peltier and it would be an interesting article to see how far I can push it :D

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Guys. Please. Read. A 8350 overclocked to 5 Ghz > 9590 because the 9590 uses turbo boost to go up to 5ghz and the turbo boost affects only some cores, not all. 101% my TDP is greater than a 9590's because the voltage(and therefore current draw and therefore power) exponentially increase when you go over 4.7-8 ghz (at least in my case they did). Overclocking this thing from 4.8 go 5ghz was the real fun and challenge. Doing this under 1.51-2 Core voltage was hard.
dorsetknob - I respect your knowledge about electronics and I totally agree with everything you said.
I'm into electronics myself, I know what causes wear and tear to the different types of elements, I have even read the datasheet of my VRM's. By the way, my board has a pretty beefy power delivery, and I highly doubt it is the problem, thats why I posted here, to see what other guys think. Of course the first thing i thought when this thing happened was " bye bye, mobo/cpu" but I have had socket contact issues before on these AM3/2 sockets, thats why I still have hope. I didn't reseat my cpu right away because in order to do that i have to dissasemble 2/3 of the machine.

Once again, thanks for the time, guys. If the cpu is dead, I promise to fry a low TDP athlon/sempron or whatever I can find for the test :D I have a 155W Peltier and it would be an interesting article to see how far I can push it :D

I hope you seriously stress tested the system at 5GHz over all 8 cores. When hitting 4.8 even on a Sabertooth R2 is an achievement, I cringe to think of what your MOSFETs must have been up to. When you get up to high overclocks, you're probably going to want an 80mm fan or two to sit on the MOSFET heatsinks.

Phase count is highly irrelevant and doesn't make for "pretty beefy power delivery". 6+2 may be something (however obscure) to boast about at stock in comparison to a 4+1, but under high OC, all boards are under the same amount of extreme stress. Even a 990FX-UD3 can give out to a high overclock. No board is safe from FX CPUs.

FX-8350 at 5GHz is more power-hungry than FX-9590 at 5GHz because the 9590 is binned for higher frequency operation at lower voltage. FX-8350 only needs to make it to 4.2GHz.

Case Thermaltake Mozart
I hope you seriously stress tested the system at 5GHz over all 8 cores.

- Every overclock I do, I test with hours on Prime95 or the AIDA Stresstest. All 8 cores of course.

I cringe to think of what your MOSFETs must have been up to. When you get up to high overclocks, you're probably going to want an 80mm fan or two to sit on the MOSFET heatsinks.

Even on stock clocks, these mosfets get pretty hot. That was the main reason I placed a thermal probe with an alarm between one of them and the heatsink. You know this gets even worse, when you have a waterblock and therefore less air circulation around the VRMs. Ever since I have that probe, I keep them under 70 degrees. The other thing is that they are surface-mount elements and they transfer the heat trough the motherboard, towards the cpu socket and from there to the cpu. No joke. :) Ever since i got this motherboard i used the fan from the stock cooler (Pretty decent 60mm PWM Delta fan) I strapped it on the VRM heatsink and it sits like factory made.

Even a 990FX-UD3 can give out to a high overclock. No board is safe from FX CPUs.

Man. I'm in love with gigabyte motherboards. Every single board i had was an overclockable gigabyte UD. This ASUS motherboard was a gift from a friend, and when i started having problems with it, i always said to myself "If this was a gigabyte motherboard, this wouldn't have happened :D" Those FX CPUs are hot and bad, no doubt. But for the price - there is no better choice for rendering, etc. And, yeah. I'm not a fanboy or anything, but AMD is a couple of years behind Intel on terms of technology and CPU's. I needed a mid range machine with a decent performance/price ratio for WORK related stuff - rendering etc. I think this was a pretty decent choice. After i finished my work a year ago, I overclocked it to 5ghz (before that it was 4.7) just for fun and its been like that ever since.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I would wager a bet that the cross hair v can maintain a high over clock quite a bit longer than a 4 or 6 phase board...

Case Thermaltake Mozart
------FIXED IT------

- took the cpu cooler off
- took the motherboard off the case
- cleaned the DIMM sockets with alcohol
- reseated the cpu(didnt work)
- reseated the cpu and changed the DIMM slot (didnt work)
- cleaned the cpu pins with alcohol and a brush
- cleaned the cpu socket with an air can (compressed air)
- worked. Holy sh*t.

-----------------------------

No visual damage to the board. Nothing. What do you guys think?

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Might have been minor surface corrosion which with the extensive cleaning you have just performed may have allowed for full and proper contact

glad you have sorted out your problem and thanks for informing us of your sucess by updating the thread

Got the same mobo as OP but with hexacore instead. I'm curious as to what Vcore he had for his 8350 to run @ 5GHz? and stable enough for stuff like gaming I presume? also if the RAM is rated at 1600 but running at 2300, how much Vdimm ?

Case Thermaltake Mozart
I got 1.51 Vcore and 1.64 (NOT SURE!) VDIMM - I don't remember what. The overclock is easy :) , you just need a big f**king cpu cooler, good PSU and vrm cooling. RAM is a little harder to overclock - lookup a tutorial. The setup is quite old, just use google, you will find tons of articles about this. I did this overclock long time ago, I might not remember something, so I will not try to explain. And just one advice - Learn the basics of overclocking, dont copy-paste settings. Every system is different :)

I was using this for gaming and hard work. Gaming is not a problem because you rarely/never use more than 4 cores. In order to be sure that your OC is stable, you need to stresstest ALL the cores. If u can't overheat the CPU when all 8 are loaded, then loading them with a game like a walk in the park.

If you have a decent cooler, vrm cooling and stable PSU, im 100% positive that u can achieve 5ghz+ on that Fx-6XXX vishera :) I don't know about the ram, I'm bad in ram overclocking.

Good luck, buddy :)

Last edited:
I got 1.51 Vcore and 1.64 (NOT SURE!) VDIMM - I don't remember what. The overclock is easy :) , you just need a big f**king cpu cooler, good PSU and vrm cooling. RAM is a little harder to overclock - lookup a tutorial. The setup is quite old, just use google, you will find tons of articles about this. I did this overclock long time ago, I might not remember something, so I will not try to explain. And just one advice - Learn the basics of overclocking, dont copy-paste settings. Every system is different :)

I was using this for gaming and hard work. Gaming is not a problem because you rarely/never use more than 4 cores. In order to be sure that your OC is stable, you need to stresstest ALL the cores. If u can't overheat the CPU when all 8 are loaded, then loading them with a game like a walk in the park.

If you have a decent cooler, vrm cooling and stable PSU, im 100% positive that u can achieve 5ghz+ on that Fx-6XXX vishera :) I don't know about the ram, I'm bad in ram overclocking.

Good luck, buddy :)

Thanks for the reply GKirev, yes I know how to OC cpus, been doing it for many years already, I was just curious as to your specific situation because I was seriously thinking of upgrading to octacore but 95W tdp versions only on this mobo version we share. :)