• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FSR FidelityFX Super Resolution Quality & Performance

Indeed, it's how it works, if it looks sharper than native, I'm going to go with it was sharpened.
It's not the size of the sharpen it's how you use it. Nvidia does plenty of sharpening regardless in fact negative LOD bias is a sharpen and recommend for some of it's AA techniques to offset the aggressive blur.

a Bilinear upscale + sharpening do not look as good as FSR with it's own sharpening. Way more artefact.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
a Bilinear upscale + sharpening do not look as good as FSR with it's own sharpening. Way more artefact.

except that FSR oversharpen the hell outta Necromunda that people gonna think it's Borderlands 4 LMAO

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Is this over sharp as well?
RiftBreaker

IMO I prefer Native due to color looking more natural, though the CAS is not being over-sharpened as there are no visible haloing, image still look natural as a whole.

No idea why some people would even think 4K FSR UQ look better than 4K DLSS Quality LOL, because FSR somehow made the Symbol of Medicine into flourescence light on a rusty board?

Last edited:
You just told me that native looks more natural, but CAS was in actually native so yes it was natural as whole quite literally. I used a mean curve blur pass in GIMP with some custom settings for the native. Basically you said you liked blur because the color looking more natural when in fact color was more natural at native which was labeled CAS in the link above.

Below is legitimate comparison between it's the GIMP editor mean curve blur of native against the CAS + DPX reshade setup. I can't notice haloing honestly with it though it's defiantly more sharp slightly. There is a minor tone mapping from the DPX that adds a subtle bit of luminescence that enriches the colors a hint more combined with the linear color space of CAS.

Mean Curve Blur vs CAS + DPX

What I found in testing with rehsade is that the DPX offset some of the contrast portion of CAS to get it a bit closer to the original scene contrast because it gently darkens or excessively if you go crazy overboard with CAS which you shouldn't less is more for both blur and sharpen. If you can point out obvious haloing with it let me know maybe that's a area that can be improved better though I just don't spot it.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
You just told me that native looks more natural, but CAS was in actually native so yes it was natural as whole quite literally. I used a mean curve blur pass in GIMP with some custom settings for the native. Basically you said you liked blur because the color looking more natural when in fact color was more natural at native which was labeled CAS in the link above.

Below is legitimate comparison between it's the GIMP editor mean curve blur of native against the CAS + DPX reshade setup. I can't notice haloing honestly with it though it's defiantly more sharp slightly. There is a minor tone mapping from the DPX that adds a subtle bit of luminescence that enriches the colors a hint more combined with the linear color space of CAS.

Mean Curve Blur vs CAS + DPX

What I found in testing with rehsade is that the DPX offset some of the contrast portion of CAS to get it a bit closer to the original scene contrast because it gently darkens or excessively if you go crazy overboard with CAS which you shouldn't less is more for both blur and sharpen. If you can point out obvious haloing with it let me know maybe that's a area that can be improved better though I just don't spot it.

Well I did say the CAS one look natural, just that I like the color gradation (or anti-aliasing property) of the one you label Native, personal preference I guess..
Basically all edges with FSR in Necromunda have black, heavily contrasted outline which are artifacts from being oversharpened (halo), it make the entire image look flat and lose sense of depth, also it looks cartoony. I don't know if a blur filter can fix an oversharpened image?

I can't tell any sharpness difference between the two and there are no sharpen artifacts, just that CAS+DPX colors look more vibrant so to me CAS+DPX looks ever slightly better.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I think I'm going to have to test this out. I typically run DOTA 2 at half resolution (1440p) on my 5k displays because the Radeon Pro 5600M can't handle much at full resolution aside from Factorio, Rimworld, or Diablo 3 and I noticed the option for FSR became available.

Something I haven't tried with FSR is combined it with DSR x4.00 of 1080p to upscale to 4K then using FSR performance to run 4K at about half the resolution which is give or take 1440p how does that compare with native 1440p on performance and IQ and how does it compare with 1440p with 1080p with FSR ultra?

On the one hand with DSR you have more pixels to work with for the post process upscale so I'd be keen to compare it.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Something I haven't tried with FSR is combined it with DSR x4.00 of 1080p to upscale to 4K then using FSR performance to run 4K at about half the resolution which is give or take 1440p how does that compare with native 1440p on performance and IQ and how does it compare with 1440p with 1080p with FSR ultra?

On the one hand with DSR you have more pixels to work with for the post process upscale so I'd be keen to compare it.

4K FSR Performance is upscaled 1080p (50% of width and 50% of height), I would say Native 1440p will look better than 4K FSR Performance

Don't haste. It will eventually come to desktop with checkerboard rendering which is what you are emulating with DSR.
DSR&FSR won't change the basics, but since there will be less texels to pixel, the staircase geometric aliasing will be attenuated which is the case with all good low pass filters.

Checkerboard rendering like MFAA has some perks though in motion it looks better due to the interpolation since it reduces shimmer.

They will customise it with other filters with such strongpoints to overcome it. Such as bilateral filtering. Ringing is a phenomenon of motion shimmering.

Here's a little comparison of something I cooked up with GIMP. I combined dilate filter with LCh Color at 11.9 opacity value. I wouldn't go higher on the LCh opacity it can start doing some crude things more if you do that become readily noticeable. At the value set or lower I like what it does with color gradients and color values. It's subjective I'd say, but everything about post process is subjective. I ultimately like the compromise however.

RiftBreaker Dilated w/LCh opacity 1.19

Trying to fine tune CAS configuration further seems to have a bit more clarity, contrast, color vibrancy slightly over default and the previous cas configuration that I was aiming to replace with something improved upon.

NEW CAS SETUP OFF/ON
Skyrim SE - DEFAULT vs CAS + DPX

CAS COMPARISON OLD/NEW
Skyrim SE - CAS configuration old vs new

Seems like it's a general improvement to me specifically the clarity of the scene depth is better. The screen stills don't really give it full justice given the scene is in motion and it absolutely looks better in motion. I some area's the filtered lighting effect you can notice in area's with it on versus off is pretty impressive with the games god rays.

Update
I lowered by the contrast adaptation sharpening amount and intensity a hinter further alongside the other adjustments shown in the two top links which changed some other values. Combined it's a bit less sharpening intensity, but overall the float peak and float3 wRGB were widened a bit so you end up with less sharpening/intensity with better linear color space tone mapping shaping in essence.

OFF/ON
Skyrim SE - CAS

CAS v1.0 vs CAS v2.0
1.0 vs 2.0

(off/1.0/2.0) Real time fake lighting. Not bad for a mere 3 frames though.
Skyrim.gif

Last edited:
I created sort of a linear mipmap approach of 6 configurations of CAS and this is how it looks with just CAS versus the default look. The overall overhead on a GTX980 is a dead even 2ms GPU latency on average.

Skyrim SE - Default vs CAS

I can definitely improve a few things, but unless I zoom in I wouldn't be able to tell from a glance outside of the cooler color temperature, but that was somewhat intention however stronger than intended right now with the 6 configurations. There is some halo ringing effect if you zoom in with a photo editor, but at normal distance during game play I can't tell personally. It's noticeably more clear and sharp definitely though I can tell obvious ringing in game in motion myself. Zoomed in I do see some checker board dithering within the texturing that the added sharpening makes a bit more pronounced though. I notice that more readily than halo ringing effect between the two.

I think I need to re-adjust the sharpen intensity linearly downward across the 6 configurations and improve the color temperature a bit further. That said with my 3 configurations of DPX it improves the color temperature matter a lot. Here's how the CAS and DPX looks right now. The 3 configurations of DPX + 6 configurations of CAS is about 3ms GPU latency a slight bit lower since DPX has a bit less overhead than CAS.

Skyrim SE - Default vs CAS + DPX

I find it looks really good with the CAS + DPX though is a bit more hardware taxing still overall pretty low at roughly 3ms. That said you can disable 3 of the CAS configurations and use the DPX in place of them quite easily at around 2ms and have fairly close to the same look while negating a lot of that other issues at the same time.

Here's a update on a Reshade post process comparison. I have 6 configurations of CAS layers together and compared it against 7 configurations of DPX layers. So how do they stack up!? I don't know you tell me. Which would you prefer!? Now look careful as well at the top left corner FPS 42 vs 46! Included links to CAS or DPX vs OFF as well for more comparison. OFF was 52 FPS. That was at 4K with i3-6300 and GTX980 for context. I normally run 1440p 120Hz 10bpp, but the display can do 6bpp at higher resolutions and lower refresh rates as well. it'll even do 8K 26Hz 6bpp which doesn't serve too much purpose, but you can use it to upscale video streams.

CAS vs DPX

CAS vs OFF

DPX vs OFF

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Here's a update on a Reshade post process comparison. I have 6 configurations of CAS layers together and compared it against 7 configurations of DPX layers. So how do they stack up!? I don't know you tell me. Which would you prefer!? Now look careful as well at the top left corner FPS 42 vs 46! Included links to CAS or DPX vs OFF as well for more comparison. OFF was 52 FPS. That was at 4K with i3-6300 and GTX980 for context. I normally run 1440p 120Hz 10bpp, but the display can do 6bpp at higher resolutions and lower refresh rates as well. it'll even do 8K 26Hz 6bpp which doesn't serve too much purpose, but you can use it to upscale video streams.

CAS vs DPX

CAS vs OFF

DPX vs OFF

They all look the same to me, CAS seem to make shadows brighter vs OFF
DPX look the same vs OFF

I can defiantly notice differences, but maybe I should have leaned less heavily towards the side of subtly perhaps.