• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD mobo/cpu upgrade

phaze1

well i'm looking into buying a new mobo and cpu and i was woundering which would be better...the 754 or the 939...i've looked into both of them and i can't decide which one i want to buy...does anyone know if there is a better if not greater advantage between the two socket types...

Nobru_rv

754- mostly tested and working good. No Dual Channel support,great overclocking abilities.
939- still not fully tested,still no good mbo that u can be happy with,dc supportbut it's going to a standard high end rig as i hear.

Advice: if u are not in a hurry,dont buy anything now.Wait for mid-end 939 cpu-s and a great fully tested mbo for 939. (maybe nforce4 wiull be great,who knows.)
BR

GoLLuM4444

If you want to leave yourself in the best position for further upgrading definitely go for 939. On a 939 board you will be able to upgrade your memory to dual channel, your CPU to most future AMD CPUs including Athlon FXs, and your motherboard to an nForce4 board (even allowing for possible SLi upgrade :D ).
Until recently it was true that all the more expensive CPUs were on 939 and all the lower end CPUs were on 754, making 939 the expensive option. Recently however AMD released some new 90nm Winchester-cored CPUs (the 3000+, 3200+ and 3500+) on socket 939. These CPUs make 939 a much cheaper option. (also they overclock really well ;) ).
If you get a 754 board you will be a bit confused :confused: when you come to your next upgrade.
Conclusion: you can high end CPUs on 939 only, you can get lower end 64-bit CPUs on both but the 939 versions perform better and leave you with better prospects for further upgrading.

:cool:

P.S.
nForce4 will be great ;) but the asus a8v and abit av8 are good current 939 boards.

phaze1

do you guys happend to know if the nforce4 will have agp support or will it only be for pci express?

ati.bob

most probably it will only have PCI-Express support.. however.. there are 2 versions of it.. the normal nForce4 and another nForce4/SLI version.. the normal version doesn't have SLI support.. only the newer nForce4/SLI version have support for SLI systems..

Nobru_rv

Well,i have a 754 pc and i think it will be a low-end PC like barton was till now. I think it will replace socket A.
Dual channel is not the reason that i would wait 939 for. As it didnt seem much faster that single chaannel. Maybe a 5-10% boost on Sock.A mbo. Im waiting on tests of DC boot for sock 939 mobo.
For now,754 rocks. Talking about this dfi i have and AMD64 3000+. I got a hell of a performance boost from barton rig i had before. It is slightly oc-ed to 220x10 and i can oc it high. Fully satisfied. 939 rig will cost much more than mine. So i will wait for a long time for 939 as i see.
BR