1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Phenom II X4 960T "not" cancelled

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BUCK NASTY, May 16, 2010.

1. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Should be available, eventually

According to our info, AMD's Thuban based Phenom II X4 960T is not canceled but rather just delayed. Unfortunately, our sources were not clear about the specific date but were pretty sure that it will come eventually.

As you may remember, Legitreviews.com reported yesterday that the "unlocking-friendly" Phenom II X4 960T will be limited to OEMs and probably paired up with a non-unlockable motherboard. Our sources suggested that it is a mere delay and that the noted CPU will indeed be available.

We are not sure if AMD will change something and make it less "unlockable" in that process, or when it will actually be available, but for now, we are hearing that it will be available in retail, sooner or later.

Source

Woot!

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    this is good news... maybe i can nab a unlocked 960 at some point and grab me some 6 core action on the cheap

3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, get some poor sod to buy a Hell, offer to swap 965 BE with 960T, then unlock away! I am not sure why they are trying to stop the unlocking culture, I think that gives them an edge when competing against intel's offerings.

4. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    yea i want 6 cores mostly for rendering in maya etc,, but eitherway still glad to see its NOT canceled

5. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was miffed after buying several Phenom x3 8650/x4 9850's and have to admit that the unlocking potential brought me back to AMD for the Phenom II's. I still use Intel for serious work, but the gap has narrowed considerably and unlocking is just plain fun! Props to AMD for what appears to be a successful roadmap so far.

6. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    1055t is cheap, I got mine for $150. I went for unlocking potential in my 720 and it never unlocked. I say get the for sure 6 core since they are priced so low and OC so well.

7. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    well kurgan i got a 965 that can do 4ghz easy sitting right next to me already and im broke i got just enough money left to buy some tubing and barbs etc etc to get water loop finished when the time comes i was lucky enough to get the 965 to put it bluntly i owe alot of TPUers a great debt of gratitude. so x6 wont happen this is where i stop for a good long while

but just because im gonna stop with the 965 dosent mean i cant dream big eh :toast:

ive seen what the x6's can do im just hoping the 960T maintains that new lvl of performance id like to see a head to head 960T vs 965 comparison for heat power stock and oc results

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  8. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    sure debt this and debt that, i want you to put that cpu in.. i hate waiting for things like this, i just wanna know everything turned out alright, and you may have better luck with it than i did, my m4a79t dlx seems to be dodgy these days, my inability to oc could've been linked to the board all along. psh

crazyeyesreaper says thanks.
  9. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    i know i know i know ..... the thermal adhesive tape should be here monday if you reall want to know ill strip the rig tomorrow around lunch time for us and see what happens that work for you ? :roll: i was just waiting because if it rocks my socks ill drag my feet on the 790fx ddr3 upgrade lol

since ill be tearing the rig down 100% and redoing my wiring and everything else top to bottom

and sorry buck i derailed your thread