• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Puts Radeon Vega and Polaris GPUs on a Slower Driver Update Track

If you were a 980 or 1080 owner who didnt understand the game specific fixes included in game ready drivers, I'd say you probably deserve to have an AMD card with only 5 years of support. The artificial segmentation of DLSS is a separate issue.

New driver shave new fixes for new software. Hell, we saw this LAST YEAR. Remember rDNA3? Remember how AMD put rDNA2 on the backburner for 3 months? In those three months, rDNA2 users like myself did not receive new drivers, and within that time the 6900xt went from trading blows with a 3090 to trading blows with a 3080. The forums here were absolutely LIVID that AMD would do this.
I was a 970 owner, then 1080, then 3080 and now 7900XTX. Still I have not seen those mentioned game specific fixes that nvidia includes for Pascal or even better Maxwell in their newest "Game ready" drivers, but feel free to provide them, no worries.

Also interesting about that 6900XT losing perfomance because it did not had a new driver for 3 months. You have any benchmarks comparing those? Would love to see them.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
We're not comparing hardware here though, are we? Out topic is softawre.

As far as hardware is concerned, GCN1, 2, and 3 did receive some d3d feature-enabling patch-love (for whatever that was worth). No different than Maxwell.

There is no hardware without software, just like there is very little software without the hardware to back it up. The relationship between a graphics driver and the hardware is symbiotic, if either fails, the experience will suffer for it.

If you were a 980 or 1080 owner who didnt understand the game specific fixes included in game ready drivers, I'd say you probably deserve to have an AMD card with only 5 years of support. The artificial segmentation of DLSS is a separate issue.

New driver shave new fixes for new software. Hell, we saw this LAST YEAR. Remember rDNA3? Remember how AMD put rDNA2 on the backburner for 3 months? In those three months, rDNA2 users like myself did not receive new drivers, and within that time the 6900xt went from trading blows with a 3090 to trading blows with a 3080. The forums here were absolutely LIVID that AMD would do this.

Bingo.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2406-MH 75Hz
Case Bitfenix Nova Midi
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
There is no hardware without software, just like there is very little software without the hardware to back it up. The relationship between a graphics driver and the hardware is symbiotic, if either fails, the experience will suffer for it.

And like every analysis of everything in life, it is possible -and often required- to look at issues while holding everything else constant.

The thread is about software development cadence. Hardware only enters to the equation as a constraint, as it has been demonstrated. If we were talking about AMD's customer satisfaction or if this was another episode of the old Nvidia v. AMD flamewars, then sure, everyone grab a club and start swinging. But it isn't. The merits of one vendor supporting x feature while the other going for y half a decade ago has little effect here.