• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon R9 Nano Review by TPU...Not

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
Time to remove my pleasant attitude.

... rant...

Good rant. I never read TPU conclusion sections and don't intend to. Their graphs speak plenty of the quality work they do.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Hilbert over at Guru3D has one, and he's the best and most impartial graphics card reviewer around IMO. If AMD were looking to avoid reviews, I doubt he'd have one.
Impartial isn't posting AMD-only marketing, like the mantle review Hilbert did. AMD's only using marketing-friendly companies for reviews it seems. We have a larger reach than GuRu3D (according to the public info available by Alexa), so this definitely isn't about AMD getting the widest exposure for their products, it's about getting the reviews they want. Tech Report not getting one is not surprising, since the whole frame pacing stuff, and HardOCP not getting one is weird, since I think HardOCP has always been very AMD-friendly.

So the idea that sites with anti-AMD bias aren't getting cards seems wrong, to me. There's another reason why only certain sites are getting cards for launch day.

BTA posting this news item isn't about complaining about it for W1zz... something very weird is going on for sure.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Impartial isn't posting AMD-only marketing, like the mantle review Hilbert did. AMD's only using marketing-friendly companies for reviews it seems. We have a larger reach than GuRu3D (according to the public info available by Alexa), so this definitely isn't about AMD getting the widest exposure for their products, it's about getting the reviews they want. Tech Report not getting one is not surprising, since the whole frame pacing stuff, and HardOCP not getting one is weird, since I think HardOCP has always been very AMD-friendly.

So the idea that sites with anti-AMD bias aren't getting cards seems wrong, to me. There's another reason why only certain sites are getting cards for launch day.

BTA posting this news item isn't about complaining about it for W1zz... something very weird is going on for sure.
Illuminati confirmed.

uh? so who got the sample that was meant for tpu?
i tought tpu was a major player in the review field, in fact the major player

what the hell amd press folks

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
This whole topic makes me nauseated. Both companies don't send out every single SKU to reviewers. I suspect why this is making waves (to contrary belief if you read the other Nano threads) because people are interested in it one way or the other.

Most reference skus don't get sent out and sites have to improvise and test AIB OC cards to reference numbers. Never an up roar on those cards because they don't generate interest one way or the other.

Not sending review samples to review sites is less marketing for them good or bad. It also reduces potential revenue for sites and a product that generates this much attention good or bad will bring in traffic to sites.

To me it equates to getting upset your free lunch card doesn't work because the lunches ran out but you still want your free lunch meal.

This is in general not specific to TPU.

So you're saying TPU is pissed (not specific to TPU you say but inclusion compiles them as a component of this) because they wont get traffic now? Not that one of the largest independent tech sites is 'snubbed' which is very unusual?

The reason Guru3D is getting one is because their decibel reviews are constantly "yeah man, we totally cant hear this card". I've said to W1zzard in the past that Hilbert's reviews are always contradictory to his. If anything, W1zzards testing usually reflects poorly on most cards noise (inc Maxwell) compared to other places. I'll put my chips on this factor. If so it means Nano isn't as quiet as they are saying or that to be quiet, it'll throttle like crazy.

Tech Report might of started the frame pacing but Ryan over at PCPerspective took it further collaborating with Nvidia to bring FCAT. If AMD wanted to avoid anyone it would be PCPerspective I would think but he has one and said he would look at it closely from all sides.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I have that clown (SOny) on ignore... I suggest you all do it too until the management at TPU realizes what a forum disease that kid is....

Yeah that's all well and good, until I'm reading through page 2 and scratching my head wondering WTF everyone is getting on about, LOL! It literally made no sense until I got to your post and had to show ignored content.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
While we all may feel this is a slight against our community, perhaps AMD is really that hard up right now.
You would have to have a pretty screwed up business model if the revenue from a few cards outweighs the marketing impact of having the card reviewed and appearing in future benchmark review charts.
We are already at the point where other sites reviews now lack Fury/Fury X results because the site had to return the review samples...so, no PR, no ongoing marketing, and a ton of negative press. That doesn't seem like a fair trade-off for the revenue of a few retail sales to me.
HardOCP said they would buy the card if they had to, would expect TPU would do same.
HardOCP stated that their review would be conducted under the conditions that AMD have been marketing the card for - namely, the review test system would be enclosed in a SFF build. Maybe AMD got cold feet.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The reason Guru3D is getting one is because their decibel reviews are constantly "yeah man, we totally cant hear this card". I've said to W1zzard in the past that Hilbert's reviews are always contradictory to his. If anything, W1zzards testing usually reflects poorly on most cards noise (inc Maxwell) compared to other places. I'll put my chips on this factor. If so it means Nano isn't as quiet as they are saying or that to be quiet, it'll throttle like crazy.
You do realize that proper sound measurements require math, not just a dB meter? I've taken proper courses on acoustic analysis and management, and very few sites and almost no companies report real dB numbers.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Why the fuss really? No one in their right mind is going to buy these things. The moment AMD announced the price and gave the basic info on Nano, it was doomed. People expected a different product than what they delivered. Mostly this was AMD's fault for confusing the public with their PR statements.

So TPU doesn't get a Nano? Who cares! Nano is a lame duck, let it go.

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Tech Report might of started the frame pacing but Ryan over at PCPerspective took it further collaborating with Nvidia to bring FCAT. If AMD wanted to avoid anyone it would be PCPerspective I would think but he has one and said he would look at it closely from all sides.
So in other words, this is just an angry TPU rant, for not getting a card, while others have.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
You do realize that proper sound measurements require math, not just a dB meter? I've taken proper courses on acoustic analysis and management, and very few sites and almost no companies report real dB numbers.

The masses don't care about that. They just want to know what the numbers say on the doo-hickey noise probe thingy-ma-jig

All said and done - nobody should actually see this thread as a stab at the Nano card itself. Once more it's a criticism of AMD's PR dept.

So in other words, this is just an angry TPU rant, for not getting a card, while others have.

When NVIDIA didn't send us a GeForce GTX TITAN-Z sample, we didn't care. We didn't make an announcement like this.

Try again.

Cloudfire

This is AMD preparing for damage control.
This is AMD knowing that the R9 Nano will completely suck in the performance/dollar chart TPU make.
This is AMD knowing that the R9 Nano will be measured extremely close to GTX 970 Mini ITX in 1080p and 1440p and they will not be able to defend the BS $650 price point for the card when the GTX 970 Mini ITX cost $300.

You saw the same damage control when they refused to give TechReport samples, because TR measured frame times where 980Ti did much better overall than Fury X. And you saw the same damage control with refusing HardOCP any samples because they said that a factory overclocked GTX 980 with much better cooling than stock 980 can compete against Fury (non X) in most cases.

You saw the signs that the R9 Nano will be quite slower than Fury and Fury X in the pre release Far Cry 4 benchmark from AMD where they didnt seem to test the Nano with BS 0xAF settings. We all know Fury and Fury X are quite close, and since Nano is so far behind Fury X here, one can suspect the Nano of falling down to GTX 980 level, perhaps slower. Which ultimately moves it towards GTX 970 ITX performance. Which cost under half the price.

AMD know the Nano is overpriced beyond almost anything out there, and try to do damage control by handpicking biased reviewers or those that doesnt make accurate graphs which is easy to conclude with, like TPU does.

We all know what you are trying to pull on us AMD. The truth will unfortunately for you come out eventually. And just like Fury X, it will be another overpriced card. Its not our fault that you decided to use HBM before yields was good enough to drive the price down. The expense should come out of your pocket, not from the customers. Ultimately the HBM didnt show much gains if any vs GDDR5 cards, so this is entirely your fault. Just like the missed GPU launch time times, the failed CPU architectures, and the reputation wrecking decision to think you could cover up the handpicking of reviewers.

Not an angry rant by TPU. The post clearly states the reason they aren't getting one in the second sentence.

There won't be a Radeon R9 Nano review on TechPowerUp. AMD says that it has too few review samples for the press.

Btarunr just posed the question.

Are we sourgraping? You tell us.

The rant is by the posters.

TPU is just stating what they can provide to their community through a review.

Last edited:
System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
*not a rant* If AMD is afraid of TPU's testing methods, they should have told them so & rely on overnight IT gurus by releasing horrible results as per instructions from them (AMD) via the whatever the program they came up with, attracting a lot of gamers thinking AMD is the way to go because of botched benches stating the 970 ITX is an underpowered BS of a card not worth purchasing despite selling for half the price. Seriously... a $650 card that's relying on crapped benches aren't going to get sales from the consumers or getting a +1 from right-thinking, budget-conscious reviewers.

Hilbert over at Guru3D has one, and he's the best and most impartial graphics card reviewer around IMO. If AMD were looking to avoid reviews, I doubt he'd have one.
Guru3D also has an AMD rep present who operates anywhere from 15-20 or more ghost accounts. I know this for a fact. So do the admins at G3D.. Any relevance?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Time to remove my pleasant attitude.

Thanked for the :laugh:.

Anyway the constant lesson from all the crap surrounding Fiji and AMD in general is a) fanboyism sure is stupid, and b) there aren't as many fanboys as forum arguments indicates and c) omg it feels like it's been going on forever.

Guru3D also has an AMD rep present who operates anywhere from 15-20 or more ghost accounts. I know this for a fact. So do the admins at G3D.. Any relevance?

"Fact" or fact?

Thanked for the :laugh:.

Anyway the constant lesson from all the crap surrounding Fiji and AMD in general is a) fanboyism sure is stupid, and b) there aren't as many fanboys as forum arguments indicates and c) omg it feels like it's been going on forever.

"Fact" or fact?
I don't understand the question? If you're taking the piss I can assure you it's true. I was there for 9 years, almost became an admin. No need to say any more.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Stop sniffing that soap and reading up on chemtrails.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
could just buy one and then when it falls flat on there face give them a nice scathing

Cloudfire

I don't understand the question? If you're taking the piss I can assure you it's true. I was there for 9 years, almost became an admin. No need to say any more.
What were the content of the posts from this AMD reps multiple accounts?

Right now we have the AMDRTP cult which seems to plague the internet they seem like the biggest fanclub that exists. Members that monitor any forum and news articles, and is quick to go berzerk against any negative post toward AMD products. I bet AMD give cheap cards to these guys every now and then just to get their "protection".

AMD_Roy is the biggest joke around with his constant low blow attacks against Nvidia and reposting of any tweet from a random guy saying "Love my R7 360X, AMDRTP 4 life". That is one of the higher ups in the system and he is a clown.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
.....hey Jay of Jay's Two Cents tech you-tube channel has one...... he teased and showed it at the end of the Mionix Castor video. HE HASN'T DONE A REVIEW YET though........if it gives the performance......people will buy it....however Amd's product Launch seems to be snatching defeat out of the jaws of Victory again........

Processor Intel Core i5 3570k
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright Archon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x4GB 1600MHz (8-8-8-24)
Video Card(s) MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X
Storage Plextor M5 Pro 512GB; WD Caviar Green 2TB
Display(s) 2x HP ZR24w
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Special Edition Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-650
Mouse Logitech G403 HERO
Keyboard SteelSeries 7G
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit EN

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
I don't see anything mysterious to support the correct way to deal with bad press. What is so mysterious again?
That AMD and me have the same opinion ?
Instead of blaming AMD, tell us please why or how much you receive from nvidia to keep their image up and AMD's down?

Oh fuck right off and stop pretending that you don't know what he's getting at. Whatever banhammer that TPU has is not strong enough for an acutely obstinate, inflammatory shit like you. Ain't gonna be no more painstakingly written rebuttals from myself and a lot of other users after this; you, my friend, are going to have the thread all to yourself. That other little monkey is doing just fine on my ignore list, and I can't believe that I've simply forgotten about the existence of the Ignore button since I had to deal with the other turd all those weeks ago. Good riddance. Today, I am going to take the advice that I should have listened to a long time ago.

And...I'll be back to my old self in no time.