• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT Pricing Slides to Below its $500 MSRP, RX 7700 XT Below $440

Processor 5700X
Motherboard B550 Tomahawk
Memory 16GB Teamgroup
Video Card(s) 6800XT
Storage WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) Iiyama
Case Define S
Correct. AMD needs to apologize publicly for this whole generation which makes little to no sense whatsoever.

RX 7900 XTX should have been RX 7800 XT for 650$.
RX 7900 XT should have been RX 7700 XT for 500$.
RX 7900 GRE should have been RX 7600 XT for 350$.
RX 7800 XT should also have been RX 7600 XT for 350$.
RX 7700 XT should have been RX 7600 for 279$.
RX 7600 XT should have been RX 7500 XT for 199$.
RX 7600 should have been RX 7400 XT for 129$.
I also like lower priced gpu's but why would AMD price themselves so low when nVidia are taking us for fools? AMD has competitive products now, they know it and are slowly turning into nGreedia. AMD is still counting on us for that: I love the underdog feeling............. I got myself a 6800xt because it was the right choice for me from a price/performance ratio but I wouldn't hesitate to buy nGreedia if they had similar performance for a lower price.

Still way too dear. Since these are really 7700XT and 7600XT parts with BS names, they need to drop to $449 and $389 respectively, just like 4070 Super (aka real 4060 Ti) should be $479.
When was the last time we had a 60 Class card perform 60% of the flagship. Genuine question.
660 to Titan was 47%
660 Ti to Titan was 53%
760 to Titan Black was 53%
960 to Titan XM was 47%
1060 to Titan XP was 46%
2060S to RTX Titan was 53%
2060 to RTX Titan was 46%
3060 Ti to RTX 3090 Ti was 50%
3060 to 3090 Ti was 39%

Best case scenario, the 4060 Ti would've been the regular 4070.

You would have to go all the way back to Fermi (where they didn't have a Titan card equivalent; just a 80 class card), where it was 70% performance of 80 class for half the price (which would be the equivalent of 4070 Super performance for $600. Which is inline with the regular 4080.)
We are not in 2011. We are in 2024. Get a bloody grip

Last edited:
System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
IMO, the 7800XT is well positioned and relatively priced, sits comfortably around the skimped 12GB 4070 ($530+) . A small reduction in price would be nice for the consumer/compo but i don't believe the competition offers any compelling pressure to dictate a price drop. Esp. considering the 4070-S is going for $600 and the TS for a ridiculous $800

I rather see more price slashing action at the higher end with the 7900 XT/XTX + the mid-tier 12GB 7700XT.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Why? So you buy Nvidia cards for lower prices?
What a salty dumb ass reply, I bought a RX 7800 XT on sale ya derp!

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo
Memory 2 x 16 Ballistix 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac Twin Edge OC RTX 3070
Storage Corsair P5
Display(s) AOC q32e2n
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Corsair RM650X
There's no scalping here, it's just that the world has changed. Since 2016 when the last generation of "well-priced" Nvidia GPUS (10-series) existed there have been a bunch of things that happened to the "$350" card.
  • Inflation has increased prices by 27% in the last 8 years.
  • We've had the ETH mining boom disrupt pricing in favour of GPU manufacturers, the same is now happening for AI.
  • We've had a pandemic cause a massive shift in the market demand for GPUs because dramatically more people are gaming and working at home with them than pre-pandemic.
  • We've had a change in the cost of labour in Taiwan and China from government labour laws. Exploiting people for profit isn't happening so badly now - which ends up adding cost.
  • There are ongoing economic sanctions on exports driving up the cost of components sourced from all over China
  • The cost of shipping containers to distribute GPUs globally has increased by 26% above inflation, for a cumulative increase of 60% higher shipping costs.
Each of those six bullet points accounts for a non-trivial reason for GPU cost increases. The first bullet point (inflation) alone means that a $379 GTX 1070 in 2016 would cost $479 today. It's honestly incredible what you can build for $1000 these days, not just in terms of technological progress and the expectations of how a game should look and run, but also because today's $1000 budget is equivalent to a $785 budget from 2016 when you account for just the inflation alone. We were getting 1080p60, PS3-quality DX9 graphics back then for $1000, which is more like $1270 in today's money. Today we're getting 1080p144 or 1440p60 PS5-quality graphics for $1000, effectively only $785 in 2016's money. The games have become more demanding, the resolution and refresh rates have increased, the expectations are higher, and yet the budget is smaller.

The only reason it sucks is because global inflation and cost increases are outpacing global worker wages, which isn't a GPU-market only problem, it's called "the cost of living crisis" and it's on every news outlet in every country on earth, as it has been for at least a couple of years now.
You are obviously not wrong that the costs increased, however rounded the calcuations are.

The thing is that the prices are no longer linked to the manufacturing costs, the mining craze showed the CEOs and boards how much people were willing to pay ... So they WILL pay.

Look how Nvidia prices their 'AI' products currently, with markups running in 1000s % . Why? Because they can, so they are.

This is just a normal, greedy corporation with no appetite limits on profit, the shares must go up and the sales targets are not going down. Nvidia totally dominates the gpu sales (effectively a monopoly) , dictate the prices and is solely responsible for how the current market looks like.

Nvidia does not deserve to be defended by graphics cards buyers because Nvidia doesn't act in their interest. Nvidia is not your friend, nor is any corporation, especially with dominant market position, they are all just looking to exploit you.

AMD is obviously also a corporation and chase mostly profits too but their market power is just incomparable.
If they decreased the prices, Nvidia would just follow ( if profits and/or dominant position is threatened), as a result both would make less. Therefore, AMD prefers to play small games and tries not get nVidia too angry, whilst making some cash on side, dreaming (or planning) of hitting a jackpot with some AI, superb CPU line or similar product.
Being 'the smaller one', in monopolistic or oligopolistic conditions is super hard.

GPU market needs a revolutionary product from either Intel, AMD or... someone else, such as Ryzen was, in order to shift the powers and make the market a bit healthier. Otherwise, get ready for constant price increases because they maximum price is the price you are willing to pay.

However bad it sounds, buying Nvidia gpu sends them signals that it's still ok to sting you that much...and they will try more on their next release.

Btw I own Nvidia card (certainly my last one from this maker) and I am not an AMD unconditional lover, I just say how I see it and how it is.

Last edited:

Peterson!

There's no scalping here, it's just that the world has changed. Since 2016 when the last generation of "well-priced" Nvidia GPUS (10-series) existed there have been a bunch of things that happened to the "$350" card.
  • We've had the ETH mining boom disrupt pricing in favour of GPU manufacturers, the same is now happening for AI.
  • We've had a pandemic cause a massive shift in the market demand for GPUs because dramatically more people are gaming and working at home with them than pre-pandemic.
  • We've had a change in the cost of labour in Taiwan and China from government labour laws. Exploiting people for profit isn't happening so badly now - which ends up adding cost.
  • There are ongoing economic sanctions on exports driving up the cost of components sourced from all over China
  • The cost of shipping containers to distribute GPUs globally has increased by 26% above inflation, for a cumulative increase of 60% higher shipping costs.
Each of those six bullet points accounts for a non-trivial reason for GPU cost increases. The first bullet point (inflation) alone means that a $379 GTX 1070 in 2016 would cost $479 today. It's honestly incredible what you can build for $1000 these days, not just in terms of technological progress and the expectations of how a game should look and run, but also because today's $1000 budget is equivalent to a $785 budget from 2016 when you account for just the inflation alone. We were getting 1080p60, PS3-quality DX9 graphics back then for $1000, which is more like $1270 in today's money. Today we're getting 1080p144 or 1440p60 PS5-quality graphics for $1000, effectively only $785 in 2016's money. The games have become more demanding, the resolution and refresh rates have increased, the expectations are higher, and yet the budget is smaller.

The only reason it sucks is because global inflation and cost increases are outpacing global worker wages, which isn't a GPU-market only problem, it's called "the cost of living crisis" and it's on every news outlet in every country on earth, as it has been for at least a couple of years now.

You are absolutely right.

You are obviously not wrong that the costs increased, however rounded the calcuations are.

The thing is that the prices are no longer linked to the manufacturing costs, the mining craze showed the CEOs and boards how much people were willing to pay ... So they WILL pay.

Look how Nvidia prices their 'AI' products currently, with markups running in 1000s % . Why? Because they can, so they are.

This is just a normal, greedy corporation with no appetite limits on profit, the shares must go up and the sales targets are not going down. Nvidia totally dominates the gpu sales (effectively a monopoly) , dictate the prices and is solely responsible for how the current market looks like.

Nvidia does not deserve to be defended by graphics cards buyers because Nvidia doesn't act in their interest. Nvidia is not your friend, nor is any corporation, especially with dominant market position, they are all just looking to exploit you.

AMD is obviously also a corporation and chase mostly profits too but their market power is just incomparable.
If they decreased the prices, Nvidia would just follow ( if profits and/or dominant position is threatened), as a result both would make less. Therefore, AMD prefers to play small games and tries not get nVidia too angry, whilst making some cash on side, dreaming (or planning) of hitting a jackpot with some AI, superb CPU line or similar product.
Being 'the smaller one', in monopolistic or oligopolistic conditions is super hard.

GPU market needs a revolutionary product from either Intel, AMD or... someone else, such as Ryzen was, in order to shift the powers and make the market a bit healthier. Otherwise, get ready for constant price increases because they maximum price is the price you are willing to pay.

However bad it sounds, buying Nvidia gpu sends them signals that it's still ok to sting you that much...and they will try more on their next release.

Btw I own Nvidia card (certainly my last one from this maker) and I am not an AMD unconditional lover, I just say how I see it and how it is.
Nice observations, I hope the consumers stop buying generally GPUs from AMD and N - GREED - IA in outrageous prices in order the prices goes down ( this is the only way).

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64

I think one more thing that adds to this is that all prices are in USD and the USD is strong right now.....................that exchange rate hurts especially when you have to add taxes on top of it.

TheBeastInside

Correct. AMD needs to apologize publicly for this whole generation which makes little to no sense whatsoever.

RX 7900 XTX should have been RX 7800 XT for 650$.
RX 7900 XT should have been RX 7700 XT for 500$.
RX 7900 GRE should have been RX 7600 XT for 350$.
RX 7800 XT should also have been RX 7600 XT for 350$.
RX 7700 XT should have been RX 7600 for 279$.
RX 7600 XT should have been RX 7500 XT for 199$.
RX 7600 should have been RX 7400 XT for 129$.
That would be heavenly and the most optimistic pricing for GPUs in years.

I think we're as consumers who actually want to game, we are pretty much cornered by Nvidia and AMD.
I tried to claw my way our by buying an XBOX, but it's not the same thing, and despite supporting a mouse and keyboard, most games don't support it in their XBOX version.
I don't think either company will bring prices down as long as people are buying, and we are buying, all of us somewhat.
I held off for 3 years to upgrade a 1080ti untill it really showed its age at 2k gaming. Even then I bought an rx6800 at 400 bucks.
Corporate greed is our of control worldwide, and in sectors which are not necessity , the squeeze is definitely on.