• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Socket-AM2 Performance Preview

System Name Current
Processor Core i5 2500k
Motherboard Z77MA-G45
Cooling Cooler Master Tx3
Memory 8gb DDR3 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 960 4GB GDDR5
Storage (1) SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 IPS
Case Fractal Core 1000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 430 Watt Corsair
Mouse Logitech g602
Keyboard K70 LUX Mech LB, Red LED, Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows 10 + Hackintosh
AnAndtech says,
To say that AMD has been uncharacteristically quiet lately would be an understatement of epic proportions. The company that had been so vocal about their K8 architecture in the past will hardly say anything at all about future products, extending even to its forthcoming AM2 platform. In just two months AMD is scheduled to officially unveil its first DDR2 platform (Socket-AM2), but we've heard virtually nothing about performance expectations.

As you page through the preview looking at the test results you will come to see that most performance increases are all rather minimal. The memory Bandwidth was increased, but that is to be expected. Why move to a new socket to have only marginal performance increases? It's not like socket 939 AMD processors were memory starved in the first place.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

V

v-zero

But you may move because of dropping DDR2 prices, the promise of better overclocking on nForce5, and the possibility of a wider pci-e bus lane (not that we need one...).

Or you could do the sensible thing and wait for Conroe.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

...sensible and Conroe don't belong in the same sentence, paragraph, story.

Until tests are run on the final mobos and CPUs it's all speculation - especially Conroe and friends. I wouldn't put much stock in current reports for any future CPUs.

V

v-zero

You wouldn't put stock on possibly the greatest architechture to come out of intel for the last ten years? Tests have been run, and the results are in - Conroe kicks ass. It is the only sensible option out there... I don't get your argument?