1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Spider Platform Video

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Nov 16, 2007.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    This video shows the new AMD Spider platform - the one that's on display for the past week. The platform combines AMD Phenom processors, ATI Radeon HD 3800 series discreet graphics and AMD 7-series chipsets.

AMD Spider Platform

Source: MSN Video

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not very impressed. I love the hardware, but those AMD folks sounded like they were trying to explaing thier "gaming supercomputing" to my grandmother. This video closely resembles the magic of the old MS-DOS commercials from the 80's!

3. Basard

Basard

Thanks Received:
    Ya, the video wasn't that great. 80x the power of of the PS3, they say...

4. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    it's just not enthusiast focused, thats about it

5. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    mmm.gaming super computing,will it be affordable for the average user? NO.Useless then as only the rich could possibly afford it.If you dont aim at the average joe user and not at entusiasts which are a small percentage,i dont see the point.The average joes are were most of the revenue from pc sales comes from,not us.

6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    good luck to all those poor people in the UK who are considering trying to go 'spider'

maybe in america its affordable but in the UK were have take out a morgage to afford the whole set up

7. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is pretty dumb. Typical people aren't going to keep usual cards long enough to incorporate a four card setup. By the time someone puts in the 2nd or 3rd card, let alone the 4th, there's going to be something a lot better out in the market. Hopefully this isn't AMD getting desperate...

8. DaJMasta

Thanks Received:
    Typical people just oooh and ahhhh, it takes a special kind of person to buy more than one video card at the moment, I can only imagine that most 3 and 4 card users will buy them up front, because the only people who can afford that much equipment in total can afford it up front and can recognize that 2 cards of the next generation will be faster than 4 of the previous.

9. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i love how in all the rigs with 4 cards the comp is in a air condisioned room with the side panel off ;)

10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I am insulted by this comment. You are far too blind.

11. SpeedyVT New Member

Thanks Received:
    HA ha HA ha ha HAA hhaa... 3 hours later...

9days later...

Okay that was funny. I like how they said Affordable. UM lets do the math people 4 x 220$ than take the new board 200$, new processor 500$, and the power supply to handle that load. I think its only for the rich who dream that way. Why don't they just do what they have done with processor dual or quad the processing units. Well then again there is a limit to pcie bandwidth. You know its gonna turn out like card games one of these days... *Nerd Talk* Yeah my deck has 8 3870s and 4 3850s, which totally beats your nvidia 8 * 98 headed dragon. *no more nerd talk crap* YEAH RIIIIIGHT, just them saying that makes me want to go nvidia and intel, and I CURSE those words. Well not Nvidia as so much intel. Only reason I curse nvidia was for the ti series.

12. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Affordable? My a$$! with $880 to the video-cards, $550 for the processor, $280 for a board (4x PCIe X16 slots but 8 lanes per slot) = $1710 for the spider platform?

80x the power of a PS3? EIGHTY times? now I know why AMD processors underperform: bad number-crunching ability. their bosses flunk in math too. Do they even know what the CELL Broadband Engine can do? If the CELL processor is ported to the desktop, it'll put both AMD and Intel out of business. BTW, PS3 has a GPU made by NVidia. So they should insted be saying: 80x the power of a Xbox 360, which uses the ATI Xenos GPU.

I'm just waiting for my next paycheck, pooled up enough for a good C2Q Q6600 + P35 board.

Is it Mandark from Dexter's Lab?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  13. SpeedyVT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually if Sony got into the video card industry I might just buy one. They should also try competing with Microsoft's ground of a pc operating system although they failed the computer production.

14. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
  15. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sony doesn't make GPUs. Actually the PS3 's CPU is co-made by Sony, Toshiba and IBM. The console itself has a GPU made by NVidia.

So you should be saying: "If Sony got into the processor industry, I'd buy one."

Sony does make some of the best notebooks, did you forget about the VAIO?

16. SpeedyVT New Member

Thanks Received:
    OH the flaming laptops... tisk! tisk! But Sony can still throw a label on it and call it theres lol. Pretty much what they do anyways... that includes games.

17. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    :wtf: That's a terrible idea!! Root-kits all over the place... :laugh:

18. Basard

Basard

Thanks Received:
    i know one thing for sure... it will be cheaper than an intel-based tri-sli system with nvidia cards..... will it be faster than the intel-based? probably not....