1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Talks about K8L and Socket AM2+

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Oct 4, 2006.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) has postponed launch of its Socket AM3 processors to the middle of 2008, from an originally scheduled third-quarter 2007. AMD's first quad-core K8L desktop processor, the Altair, originally set to utilize the Socket AM3 connector, will be resident in Socket AM2+. The main difference between AMD's Socket AM2 and Socket AM2+ is that the former adopts HyperTransport 1.0 and the latter HyperTransport 3.0. Socket AM3 CPUs can only be compatible with Socket AM2- and Socket AM3-based motherboards, but Socket AM3-based motherboards cannot support any previous-generation processors, including Socket AM2 CPUs. Consequently, AMD has decided to postpone the adoption of DDR3 until the middle of 2008, when its first Socket AM3 processor manufactured on 45nm process technology will be announced. According to AMD's latest product roadmap, the Socket AM2 series will constitute 95% of AMD's total desktop CPU shipments in early 2007 while AMD's Socket AM2+ CPUs, which will appear in the third quarter of next year, are expected to account for 15% of the chip vendor's desktop processors by the end of 2007.

Source: DigiTimes
  2. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Lol, AMD changes socket every quater of the year.
  3. Judas

Judas

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i have noticed,well at least the new processors can run in the AM2 boards
  4. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    i have to agree with that as owning 2 intel systems which are out of date due to the chipset change for the core chips. that is one thing i do not like about Intel