1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's Bulldozer to use new AM3+ socket

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MicroUnC, Aug 27, 2010.

1. MicroUnC

MicroUnC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought i share this, Not sure where to post though:)

"The existing G34 and C32 server infrastructure will support the new Bulldozer-based server products. In order for AMD’s desktop offering to fully leverage the capabilities of Bulldozer, an enhanced AM3+ socket will be introduced that supports Bulldozer and is backward-compatible with our existing AM3 CPU offerings."

"When we initially set out on the path to Bulldozer we were hoping for AM3 compatibility, but further along the process we realized that we had a choice to make based on some of the features that we wanted to bring with Bulldozer. We could either provide AM3 support and lose some of the capabilities of the new Bulldozer architecture or, we could choose the AM3+ socket which would allow the Bulldozer-base Zambezi to have greater performance and capability.

The majority of the computer buying public will not upgrade their processors, but enthusiasts do. When we did the analysis it was clear that the customers who were most likely to upgrade an AM3 motherboard to a Bulldozer would want the features and capability that would only be delivered in the new AM3+ sockets. A classic Catch-22.

Why not do both you ask? Just make a second model that only works in AM3? First, because that would greatly increase the cost and infrastructure of bringing the product to market, which would drive up the cost of the product (for both AMD and its partners). Secondly, adding an additional product would double the time involved in many of the development steps.

So in the end, delivering an AM3 capability would bring you a less featured product that was more expensive and later to market. Instead we chose the path of the AM3+ socket, which is a path that we hope will bring you a better priced product, with greater performance and more features - on time.

When we looked at the market for AM3 upgrades, it was clear that the folks most interested in an AM3-based product were the enthusiasts. This is one set of customers that we know are not willing to settle for second best when it comes to performance, so we definitely needed to ensure that our new architecture would meet their demanding needs, for both high performance and overclockability. We believe they will see that in AM3+."
    WarEagleAU says thanks.
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    nice :) anyone know anything about AM4 then? any plans for it yet? sounds like they just made AM3+ as an afterthought, so idk... my next build will have to be one of the two though :)
  3. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    That's fine with me! It really isn't that big of a deal that Bulldozer isn't compatible with current motherboards since that's how things should be, AMD simply spoiled us the past few years. On the plus side, AM3+ will support Phenom II's.
  4. MicroUnC

MicroUnC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Uughh:shadedshu i was really hoping for a completely different socket, since AM3+ will be able to shelter the current phenoms, That's not likely to happen.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Where is this information from? I heard this a while ago, but more recent reports have Bulldozer using a new socket that is not backwards compatible.

Link to article: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129392
  6. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Waiting for AM4 then :)
  7. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh crap. This is bad.
    It's still only dual-channel DDR3 and no more. I was hoping tri-channel just that I'd get 6 RAM slots.

That is, if the news piece is accurate.
    Soylent Joe says thanks.
  8. MicroUnC

MicroUnC New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Old news is old.

But ya, i personally don't see a problem with them moving onto a new socket. It's about time imo.
  10. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  11. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    So the Boards can take AM3 cpu's but AM3 boards will not take the new CPU's?
  12. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am sure AMD will offer people chips for the AM3 socket or at least for 890 FX/GX chipset. Its not like AMD to completely can a chipset and socket as soon as they offer new processors.

I am certain they will offer an 8 core for the 890fx/gx chipset for the very least.
  13. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I would expect the new boards to have more pins on the socket, so if that's the case then no they wouldn't be able to use the older AM3 CPU's. But yes AM3 boards will not be able to take the new CPU's according to what AMD has been saying.
  14. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    We will have to wait for an actual release, some sites are providing info that is hypocritical to another sites info.
  15. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Im seeing that to, a lot of sites are saying different things. It's best to just wait and see what happens.

I just hope they show some specs soon!!:)
  16. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Eh... Well at least my last 2 AM3 boards were free...

Maybe that should have been a sign to me...

Like why Stores like Microcenter are so willing to simply give away AM3 boards or sell really nice 8xx series boards for $10-$20 with the purchase of a AM3 cpu
  17. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish we had deals like that an ASUS crosshair IV for $20 would be a dream.

Yea some sites are claiming they are going to "bulldoze" i7's other say it will be bulldozed by the i7's who knows.... I have always been a fan of Intel and AMD hence why I usually own both in my rigs but I am certain AMD might make a comeback and still offer great chips to the existing platforms.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  18. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I don't mind buying a new mobo with the new chipset for Bulldozer. I really can't see i7 standing in Bulldozer's way.
  19. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    It shouldn't, i mean in the past two years they failed to beat the i7's, so i definitely expect this to exceed the i7's. Especially if it's 8 core with there own version of HT. Then again it could turn out where Intel releases something better a few months after Bulldozer, but who knows..
  20. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Bring it on!!! Bulldozer is going to crush Intel (I hope :eek: )

Amd indeed has spoiled us for sure with no socket changes in some time, unlike Intel changing there socket every cpu build lol....

Hello!!! PPL hate changing boards for new chips...

But I welcome the change from AMD and hope the bulldozer breaks all the expectations that many of us are hoping for....
  21. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel will meet/beat anything AMD comes out with. They have the money to do it and AMD certainly does not.
  22. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    I really wouldnt say amd failed to beat I7 bro.

In some marks amd beat i7's ;)

Ask Mussels, He loves the speed his X6 encodes video compared to his buddies I7 :D
  23. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    :slap: Shut up Erocker! :laugh:
  24. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I do hate the socket changes Intel does every two minutes. lol, But it's for the better, the i7's are powerhouse CPU's and i always welcome a new chipset in the ever changing world that is technology.

I to hope Bulldozer does comes out with good reviews and reception. And i hope Intel comes out with some great to. That way, the prices will be low for all, and we will have two manufacturers making some fast chips for us consumers.:)
  25. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    It's Mussels cough amd fanboy cough lol, his not exactly the most un-bias person. lol(not in a mean way)

The i7's have proven to beat the AMD 6 core CPU's in the majority of tasks. Encoding video is one task that utilizes the 6 cores within the X6, im definitely not surprised it caught up with his friends i7. It has already been benched in a verity of games and benchmarks and have proven to be slower the majority of the time compared to the i7's.

Though they are cheaper and are still great chips to run with.
    fullinfusion says thanks.