1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's Mantle API Adopted by Crytek

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Cristian_25H

Cristian_25H News Poster

Thanks Received:
    AMD this week announced that Crytek and AMD have entered into a technology partnership that will add native Mantle graphics API support to CRYENGINE. CRYENGINE is the latest iteration of the industry-leading game engine that has powered Crytek gaming titles since 2004. AMD's Mantle API makes creating games for the PC more efficient than ever. Launched in September 2013, Mantle works by streamlining communication between a gamer's CPU and GPU. By alleviating communication bottlenecks and making efficient use of existing PC hardware, Mantle helps improve overall game performance.

"AMD is delighted to bring Mantle support to the enormous audience of gamers and game developers reached by Crytek's CRYENGINE," said Ritche Corpus, director of ISV gaming and alliances, AMD. "Together, AMD and Crytek are forging a path for the graphics industry that better utilizes gamers' advanced AMD GPUs through 'closer-to-the-metal' API design." The potent combination of Mantle and CRYENGINE empowers game developers to accelerate PC development and extract unprecedented gaming performance, exclusively from AMD products with Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture.

"Crytek prides itself on enabling CRYENGINE with the latest and most impressive rendering capabilities," said Cevat Yerli, Founder, CEO & President of Crytek. "By integrating AMD's new Mantle API, CRYENGINE will gain a dimension of 'lower level' hardware access that enables extraordinary efficiency, performance and hardware control."

The inclusion of AMD's Mantle API will now allow CRYENGINE licensees to ready their development studios for a future increasingly focused on the 'closer-to-the-metal' vision that AMD has pioneered.

manofthem and Eroticus say thanks.
  2. birdie

birdie

Thanks Received:
    Prima.Vera says thanks.
  3. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Thats nice, more Cryengine games no one will buy because they release on Origin only. But now, with Mantle! :laugh:

4. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Cryengine games can launch on any distribution platform they want - it's an engine completely separate from the publisher. Case in point Star Citizen - not available on Origin and yet using the latest and greatest Cryengine. Also AION was released a few years ago using Cryengine and is not an EA/Origin game.

WaroDaBeast says thanks.
  5. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    《Immediately salivating at the slightest possibility of back porting but I called this, one of few things I thought out right

6. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Well this should be some good news for the SC boys. Less work for them.

7. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Does this "native support" mean that future cryengine games will support mantle on release or will we have to wait months for support?

Either way, I'm excited for it :)

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Lol. They are taking the same 5% from any selling game. Was better if they wouldn't charge any credits for freeware games or for junior programming students who are using the engine for learning.

9. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    They'll still charge the $20/mo but it's that way for all creative software, photoshop etc. actually a lot of higher end creative software has no monthly option making it IMPOSSIBLE for students or small time devs to legally obtain it. $20 a month is NOTHING compared to $1500+

and what's 5% of nothing? nothing. they can't take what you don't make, so if it's freeware or a student the 5% equals $0.

10. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    What prevents a student from paying $19 for one month, zero dollars for 5% of zero sales, and cancelling the monthly subscription unless they want updates? I see it as a win for all.

Glad to see a developer like Crytek working with Mantle. MS' DirectX needs competition badly.

11. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    you're assuming you can stay offline, cry engine SDK required a login, unity requires one too? (older unity 3.x might have been cracked?)

12. Totally

Thanks Received:
    Last I checked Adobe is moving to a cloud-based subscription-only model for all their software. CS6 is the last one you'll actually be able to pay once to use.

digibucc says thanks.
  13. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    Seems you can login and access UE4 regardless if you cancel subscription; their faq states:

When you cancel your subscription, you won’t receive access to future releases of Unreal Engine 4, however your login will remain active, and you are free to continue using the versions of Unreal Engine 4 which you obtained as a subscriber under the terms of the EULA.

14. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    time to read that EULA, sounds like a plan if you can use it as long as you dont export any binary or something

15. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah my wording was bad, i was trying to say photoshop etc is the example of that but it sounded like i was saying it wasn't available that way, my bad.