• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

An explanation if you please

cuhnst

Will the Flash save my 9800pro?

I had a AIW 9800 pro up until an hour ago. I replaced the fan with an IceQ something-or-other. I was watching some vids with Media Player Classic, and I was experimenting with different full screen resolutions, changing the res. in the player, but not in Windows. Then after a half an hour, the screne went purple. I hit ctrl/alt/delete, and then it went black, and I shut 'er down. I noticed that one of the black pegs had popped out, leaving the fan dangling on one side. Any suggestions as to what happened? Also, I put the old fan back on and plugged in the card. I could see windows loading behind a bunch of vetical yellow bars and isolated blurrs. And distorted characters. Will flashing the bios help this? Its dead isn't it. Or is it?

Last edited:
N

nightelf84

Your card seems to be overheating (or has overheated?). You can try reapplying some Arctic Silver on the core and reseat the heatsink. Makes sure the heatsink makes proper contact with the core. This may solve the problems you're experiencing. If problems persists...you might hv fried your card :(

Slayerstaps

He prolly already killed it....just bad luck

YawAKooL

Or maybe try to underclock it a bit to see if it will work, then youll have a slow GPU, but you will have one :/

cuhnst

yeah, fuck it. it's gone. I notice a lot of problems with ati on here, but hardley any Nvidia

ReconCX

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (4x4GB) 1600 DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 480
Storage Intel 330 Series 180GB SSD x2
Display(s) ASUS VH242H 23.6"
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Trooper
Power Supply COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700W
Software Microsoft® Windows 8 Professional
lol, it's cause this forum is focused on ATI, not nvidia. A lot of people trying to overclock, flash their bios, do this do that without the proper precautions, thus messing their cards up so they do a search on google, find this forum, and plead for help =) (yea, i did that too, minus the plead for help).

Sry bout ur card though, hey, if ur gonna throw it out, give it to me =) I always like messing with broken parts.

next time, make sure the heatsink/fan is properly in place. When I install a piece of hardware, I always have the case open just to check things, usually to make sure all the fans are operating and nothing is interfering with other things. Then I usually do a burn in for a few days to a week before and usually this is done with the case open.

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
I really hope in the next revision of the motherboard standard (ATX is current one) that the GPU faces UP, it just makes more sense.

Lateralus14

wazzledoozle said:
I really hope in the next revision of the motherboard standard (ATX is current one) that the GPU faces UP, it just makes more sense.

Does it? Heat rises, so it wouldn't make sense for the GPU cooler to draw air above the card, which is hot from just radiating away from the card. The air under the card, on the other hand, is cooler and thus would be better air for the cooler to take in.

At least, that's how I rationalized it from thinking about it for a few seconds. If someone more knowledgeable wants to chime in, by all means.

Slayerstaps

Lateralus14 said:
Does it? Heat rises, so it wouldn't make sense for the GPU cooler to draw air above the card, which is hot from just radiating away from the card. The air under the card, on the other hand, is cooler and thus would be better air for the cooler to take in.

At least, that's how I rationalized it from thinking about it for a few seconds. If someone more knowledgeable wants to chime in, by all means.

Yup...All true..If someone thinks that putting the core upwards is better just think about what kind of effect it wil have on hot air transfer....Then if u still think that it's better to have the core face up u can explain here why.. :D

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
Well i know about that sutff aformentioned- But the GPU facing up with this design would be more efficient.

Look at this pic i made in paint. Note, things may not exactly be to scale.

Also the air tube could be moved around to allow for ramsinks, or to even cross over and open over the ramsinks to allow active ram cooling.Or maybe even two fans and two tubes, one for the GPU and one for the ram?

Slayerstaps

If you put it this way it doesn't really matter if it's facing up or down it wil work both ways....but still letting the core of a card face up without such a setup it will keep re using it's own hot air and thus become hotter and hotter...

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
Slayerstaps said:
If you put it this way it doesn't really matter if it's facing up or down it wil work both ways....but still letting the core of a card face up without such a setup it will keep re using it's own hot air and thus become hotter and hotter...
How would the diagram in the picture reuse its own air?

Slayerstaps

I was talking about a setup without the tube stuff....sry if that wasn't clear...

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
Slayerstaps said:
I was talking about a setup without the tube stuff....sry if that wasn't clear...
Oh the tubes would be required for this setup, no quesstion. It jsut seems much more efficient this way for high end cards. Also though, the tube might need to go further down to aviod sucking in hot air coming off the ram from the bottom. Or why not with this revision stop making ram on both sides and just one side?

C&C Freak 2K

wazzledoozle said:
Well i know about that sutff aformentioned- But the GPU facing up with this design would be more efficient.

Look at this pic i made in paint. Note, things may not exactly be to scale.
(image)

Also the air tube could be moved around to allow for ramsinks, or to even cross over and open over the ramsinks to allow active ram cooling.Or maybe even two fans and two tubes, one for the GPU and one for the ram?

If that red area is hot air, then it won't go OVER the heatsink. It will instead get sucked into the fins on the heatsink, making the block heat up faster.

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
C&C Freak 2K said:
If that red area is hot air, then it won't go OVER the heatsink. It will instead get sucked into the fins on the heatsink, making the block heat up faster.
The red thing is a pipe that pulls air over the GPU from below the card where its cooler, then blows it outa the case.

C&C Freak 2K

So it's literally a physical pipe, like PVC? Interesting idea.

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
C&C Freak 2K said:
So it's literally a physical pipe, like PVC? Interesting idea.
yes, you understand !! :D