• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Analyst view: Sony de-throned, Nintendo crowned in console wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshenSugar

Processor Athlon64 3500+(2.2gz)@2.94gz(3.03gz)
Motherboard Biostar Tforce550 (RMA) (m2n-sli delux)
Cooling PIB cooler
Memory 2gb ocz 533 +1gb samsung 533 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) x1900xtx 512mb+zalman vf900 cooler(kicks stock coolers arse)
Storage 80gb,200gb,250gb,160gb
Display(s) 20.1 in dell 2001fp + KDS visual sensations 19"
Case Codegen briza seirse
Audio Device(s) ADI SoundMax HD audio onboard,using Ket's driver pack
Power Supply FSP 400watt SAGA seirse w/noise killer
Software Windows 2003 ent server as workstation(kills xp in perf and stab)
tyboto, read a damn book, a good one, not one of those shallow nintendo story style books.

try these titles
The Warlock Inspite of Himself
Magician (comes in 2 parts aprintice and master)
rainbow six

that should help you understand why i find if funny you would say films/video give you a deep story...........lol

last thing insulting somebodys grammer and spelling.......childish at best, i actualy have an excuse for mine being so bad, its called dyslexia
never resort to attacking somebodys spelling or grammer as a way to disscredit them, where i truely in the mood to fight i could correct all of your posts, tho due to my dyxlexia it would take alot of extra time, i got a 98% in english 101 when i took it, only lost the 2% because i missed quite a few days of class(damned flu)

holy hell...well, It's 2 v 1 in here, and you guys are just as stubborn as I am. Nintendo does not make Kid Games. That's the truth. Argue as much as you want, but the games ARE NOT designed for CHILDREN. I like how someone said "sure the games are fun for a short time, or fun for simple minded people to play over and over, bright colors, pretty pictures, simple gameplay, nowonder you are in love with it"...fist, nice grammar in your posts, really commendable. Second, I already said earlier, I like a DIFFERENT experience when I play consoles. Xbox and PS don't really differ much in their experience, i can play similar games on the PC, I want something quick that I can play without hassle, but you're right, that makes me simple minded "lol"! If the average gamer is 41, that's quite the bs to me. Of all the older men in my family, my friends family, my girlfriends family, all who are around that age, not one of them plays any sort of video game. I take that back, two of them bought Wi''s for their 18 year old "kids", and they frequently play. Lots of ADULTS with lives, jobs, families, don't have time for deep intense story lines, so simple gameplay is nice, it's quick, and easily sidelined if more important things come up. If you want to play again, you don't have to try and remember where you were in a level, you just play. Keep on believing that they make "kid" games, i gues by your definition, a 19 year old is a kid. 41 year olds are avg age for gamers..."O RLY?!" i wont even read that because based on the statistics among 8 families I personally know, no one over the age of 21( outside of myself) frequently plays video games.

I love statements like this "sorry m8 but "young teens" and "teens" below 16 are by most peoples defintion KIDS, and the adult gamer market is HUGE, i personaly sold over 200 xboxes when i worked part time at bestbuy back in the day, 2/3 of them went to people 18+ who wanted them to game on and watch movies, the rest where gotten by people who had kids, most of them wanted a game system that wasnt targeted at kids, nintendo targets kids."

Since you say it happened, I can't say you made it up. But it sounds oh so perfect for this situation to support your point. I also love how you worked in the word "kids"...again...what games exactly were on those systems that couldn't be had on the gamecube. Burnout series? A few exclusive Mature rated titles on the Xbox and PS2? I'm surprised you sold that many, judging from your intelligence and grammar in the forums, if you spoke like that I don't see how any one with common sense would listen to you. Sure, lots of 18+ people play, but over the age of 25, that number falls, because people get jobs, have lives, games are at the very lowest of priorities.

"blah i hate shallow games and movies and books.....im spoiled i guess, to many good books read "

really? doesn't seem to be helping your writing skills at all, well, I guess I can't say that, I don't know just how bad they were before. I guess I'm one of the few people that don't need a huge story line to play a game?? In the video medium, film does that for me.

those are just a few technicly wrong words.

also look at your suposition that "none of the men that age i know play games" and then consider how limmited your sample group is.

you know that MMORPG's are TARGETED AT OLDER MALES?, EverQuest1 and 2, WoW, AC, and many others are targeted spicificly at ADULT MALES, tho gamer chicks also get into them.
and guess what one of the top $ making game types are?
MMORPG's, kids cant afford to pay to play, but their pairnts can, some pairnts let the kid play, but i only know a few who let the kid play alone, most play themselves THEN get their kids and even wifes into it, becomes a family bonding acctivity.

sames true for people who enlarge buy microsoft and sony game systems, Wii is now trying to target an older market, guess why?

because after seeing the market studys and reasearch they are realising that they can make more off that market then they orignaly thought, also those gamers who played thwir systems as a kid are now "of age" and can afford consols and lots of games, that means more $ for nintendo, but the bulk of nintendo's games (for all generations of consol) are KID GAMES, google around a bit, nintendo has given interviews in the past and even admited their primary target was the kids to young teens(still kids) and that they try and keep titles on their consols approprete for all ages(kid safe titles)

as i said read a good book, dont rely on movies/tv for your "deep storys".

people like tyboto just show what i have been saying for years, this countrys sliping into ignorance, kids today dont read books,they take their whole prespective on "entertainment" from hollywood......sad really.

i would go into more detail but its to damned early in the morning for that :p

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Nintendo does not make Kid Games. That's the truth. Argue as much as you want, but the games ARE NOT designed for CHILDREN.

Well lets make a rundown of a few of the games "not designed for children" shall we:

Donkey Kong Jr. Math
Kid Icarus
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Clubhouse Games
Nintendogs

Yeah, I am sure adults rushed out to the store to pick up Donkey Kong Jr. Math...

Now I didn't say Nintendo only makes kids game, just that they primarily make games that appeal to kids, in fact if you actually read some of my posts I state that they make some games that are geared towards adults like Super Smash Brothers. However the majority of their games are aimed at entertaining kids, not adults.

I like how someone said "sure the games are fun for a short time, or fun for simple minded people to play over and over, bright colors, pretty pictures, simple gameplay, nowonder you are in love with it"...fist, nice grammar in your posts, really commendable.

First, if you are going to rip on someone for improper grammar you better damn well make sure every single one of your posts was 100% perfect in every grammatical way, including spelling. Not capitalizing words, and mispelling words, then trying to rip on someone else for not using proper grammar just makes you look like an ass.

Secondly, this isn't an english paper we are writing here, it isn't formal writing. This is an informal forum. Which means you can check your grammar dictionary at the door, because no one cares(well no one except the person losing the argument that has nothing else to argue about).

Second, I already said earlier, I like a DIFFERENT experience when I play consoles. Xbox and PS don't really differ much in their experience, i can play similar games on the PC, I want something quick that I can play without hassle, but you're right, that makes me simple minded "lol"!

Yes, we have already established that you enjoy the same types of games kids do. We are telling you that most adults don't find those games entertaining for more then a few hours. Adults want depth, they want a game that keeps them wondering what is around the next corner, what is going to happen next in the story.

If the average gamer is 41, that's quite the bs to me. Of all the older men in my family, my friends family, my girlfriends family, all who are around that age, not one of them plays any sort of video game. I take that back, two of them bought Wi''s for their 18 year old "kids", and they frequently play.

If it is BS prove that it is, or at least show another study that says that the average gamer isn't an adult. The study I showed says the average is 41, if you can't come up with some form of independant study showing otherwise, don't claim BS, it is insulting.

Lots of ADULTS with lives, jobs, families, don't have time for deep intense story lines, so simple gameplay is nice, it's quick, and easily sidelined if more important things come up. If you want to play again, you don't have to try and remember where you were in a level, you just play.

Most adults still have time for a rather involving hobby. Gaming is that hobby for a lot of them these days. Some ADULTS spend 20 hours a week building planes as a hobby, others spend that time working on cars, and others spend that time playing games. I find that I have more free time as an ADULT then I ever had while I was in K-12 school.

Keep on believing that they make "kid" games, i gues by your definition, a 19 year old is a kid.

Well I assume the 19 year old you speak of is you, I guess I should change my statment to they don't make games for mature people.

41 year olds are avg age for gamers..."O RLY?!" i wont even read that because based on the statistics among 8 families I personally know, no one over the age of 21( outside of myself) frequently plays video games.

Yep, 8 families vs. 1000 in the study, yep you sure have a winning argument there. I'll tell you this right now: I am 23, and adult, all my friends are 21 or older, all of use with the exception of my girlfriend play video games.

really? doesn't seem to be helping your writing skills at all, well, I guess I can't say that, I don't know just how bad they were before. I guess I'm one of the few people that don't need a huge story line to play a game?? In the video medium, film does that for me.

See statement about grammar comments above.

ryboto

Processor Opteron 170 [2.8ghz@1.4v|1.25ghz@1.025v]
Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Cooling HR-03, TR Ultra-120, 3xScythe S-Flex
Memory 2gb Crucial Ballistix PC4000
Video Card(s) Ati Radeon X1950 pro
Storage 150 GB WD Raptor/500GB WD
Display(s) Acer AL2032WA 20'' Widescreen LCD
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
Audio Device(s) On board Audio/Plantronics USB Headset
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker EG495AX-VE 485W
Software Windows XP SP2 bblean shell/Ubuntu
I can't battle with super nerds. I didn't know that defending a point meant I had to defend nintendo from it's very birth. I willr rescind my statement that they don't make games for children. They have, and do, it's just not the only market they make games for.

Mr. book reader guy, congrats, you read, I'm happy for you. I'm happy that your opinion of film and television is different from mine. You have absolutely no idea what my tastes are, but that's ok, you can have your opinions.

Tekie,
First, if you are going to rip on someone for improper grammar you better damn well make sure every single one of your posts was 100% perfect in every grammatical way, including spelling. Not capitalizing words, and mispelling words, then trying to rip on someone else for not using proper grammar just makes you look like an ass.

Secondly, this isn't an english paper we are writing here, it isn't formal writing. This is an informal forum. Which means you can check your grammar dictionary at the door, because no one cares(well no one except the person losing the argument that has nothing else to argue about).

the kid uses so many abbreviations, it's aggravating, and the spelling mistakes are quite numerous.

Yes, we have already established that you enjoy the same types of games kids do. We are telling you that most adults don't find those games entertaining for more then a few hours. Adults want depth, they want a game that keeps them wondering what is around the next corner, what is going to happen next in the story.

Of all the fathers, uncles, professors, non-traditional students I know, none, not one, play video games. Maybe my corner of america is a-typical?

If it is BS prove that it is, or at least show another study that says that the average gamer isn't an adult. The study I showed says the average is 41, if you can't come up with some form of independant study showing otherwise, don't claim BS, it is insulting.

By simply thinking about the statement, that the average gamer is 41 years old, I can't even begin to consider the study you showed as very accurate, although, like I said, maybe I don't live in a reality similar to yours.

"Well I assume the 19 year old you speak of is you, I guess I should change my statment to they don't make games for mature people.

That's quite humerous. I'm not 19, I'm a graduate student. Be pretty impressive if i was a 19 year old Grad, nevertheless, your statement is not true. A "mature" person can play a simple game, it's that they don't make mature-themed games.

Yep, 8 families vs. 1000 in the study, yep you sure have a winning argument there. I'll tell you this right now: I am 23, and adult, all my friends are 21 or older, all of use with the exception of my girlfriend play video games.

I'm just giving an example, If the avg gamer is 41 years of age, among 8 males, I'd think at least one would play, I'll expand my sample group, how bout that! I'm the same age as you! If this is the adult market you speak of, I guess that's where we're getting our wires crossed. Nintendo makes games that can be fun for all ages. I still enjoy them. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy Half Life 2, or Fear, or BF2, or others, it just means I'm open to other entertainment that's not purely "mature" themed, or story based.

Last edited:

ryboto

Processor Opteron 170 [2.8ghz@1.4v|1.25ghz@1.025v]
Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Cooling HR-03, TR Ultra-120, 3xScythe S-Flex
Memory 2gb Crucial Ballistix PC4000
Video Card(s) Ati Radeon X1950 pro
Storage 150 GB WD Raptor/500GB WD
Display(s) Acer AL2032WA 20'' Widescreen LCD
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
Audio Device(s) On board Audio/Plantronics USB Headset
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker EG495AX-VE 485W
Software Windows XP SP2 bblean shell/Ubuntu
last thing insulting somebodys grammer and spelling.......childish at best, i actualy have an excuse for mine being so bad, its called dyslexia
never resort to attacking somebodys spelling or grammer as a way to disscredit them, where i truely in the mood to fight i could correct all of your posts, tho due to my dyxlexia it would take alot of extra time, i got a 98% in english 101 when i took it, only lost the 2% because i missed quite a few days of class(damned flu)

When someone calls me simple minded because one of my many interests happen to be simplistic, I take it as an insult. I'm glad you got a 98% in english, really.

Last edited:
System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Enough bickering. If you can not argue in a civilized manner than no further arguement will be allowed to take place. Understood?

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
Actually, Thermoplyae, I think they've already come to that. Anyone who thinks they have been wronged, drop me a PM with evidence, and I will ban the offender.

Status
Not open for further replies.