1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anno 2070's Draconian DRM: Guru3D's Graphics Card Review Killed Off

Discussion in 'News' started by qubit, Jan 15, 2012.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Ubisoft is full off bullshit lately. Just don't buy their games. They'll blame piracy for lack of buyers anyway...

2. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    You mean the most idiotic statement of this thread, since there is only one statement in that post.

3. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    nah i like being part of the group that doesnt cause this shit. thanks though. but when i do BUY the game Im going to rename the EXE boats and hoes. or w/e you need to modify for steam to see it as boats and hoes. im going to clock like 70 hours on boats with hoes.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  4. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Now, I remember that it's also Ubisoft who came with an other draconian copy protection many years ago, e.g. StarForce 3. So Ubisoft hasn't still learned from this mistake from the past. Perhaps some big digital distributors like Steam should stop distributing Ubisoft games with these kind of restrictions, because such restrictions indicate that their customers are just potential pirates/thieves who would just steal their games (really hope this gonna happen and let this be a very big lesson for Ubisoft), otherwise there wouldn't be such harsh restrictions on their games.

5. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    This is true. Maybe Steam should get in on the hate and refuse to offer DRM games. Of course they wont. but it would help alot.

6. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    The Ubsioft boycott just got more real...

7. amd/atifiend New Member

Thanks Received:
    well said.....haven't bought an ubi game since supcom2.

8. reverze

Thanks Received:
    love anno series, but not buying it cause of DRM, good luck ubisoft with not going bankrupt cause of no piracy and no sales.

9. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    First part of the post fine, 2nd part pure and utter tripe, please go and rant over at GN if you really feel the need to give a history lesson. Oh and FYI it's not the first time the french have conceeded to the Germans, they have done it again and are now Germany's hand puppet in the sinking ship that is the EU, oh and didn't their credit rating also just get downgraded?

10. gorg_graggel New Member

Thanks Received:
    are you guys seriously debating ww2 in a thread about drm?

c'mon...

11. Mescalamba

Thanks Received:
    Yes..

..but! :D

BF3 .. well singleplayer is for one afternoon and plain boring. You can forget private servers, it has quite complex system for that.

WoW .. sure pirated a lot, lots of private servers. But do they match Blizzard servers? :D Not even close. Most private servers are happy if they even manage to stay online for one day. :D

As I said, its worthless downloads.. doesnt make any real damage. Difference is that legal version offers something that pirated cant. Thats why they dont need DRM. Apart of BF3 being pretty good game.

12. ironwolf

Thanks Received:
    I spend more than I probably should on games. When I buy a legit game, some of the first things I do are: see if there are any offline patches to download and look for a no-cd/no-dvd crack. I do not like having to keep the stupid game disc in the drive just to play my damn game and swapping them between games. I have some games installed at home & work and don't care to truck the discs between the two. I have some games that the stupid copy protection is iffy on it working and letting me actually play. I feel like a DRM/copy protection prisoner.

These companies keep this up, I'll be voting with my $$$ and a big F-U + middle finger.

13. amd/atifiend New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Game companies need to wise up and realize 2 key points imo: If they make a desirable product people will buy it and if the product is convenient people will buy it.

I'm sure many of you may or may not agree but for me steam makes it so easy that I'd rather spend a few bucks and get a legit copy. On top of that if you want a few months you can get deep discounts as well.

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  14. Wiselnvestor

Wiselnvestor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Boycotting Ubi ever since Raven shield.

Farcry 1 was made by Crytek, Ubi is only the publisher. They(Ubi) bought the rights to make Farcry2.

15. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast

Thanks Received:
    Well, digital distribution platforms are certainly not the panacea if game makers don't want their games on said platforms. Oh well, more money to the ones who do make their games available on those, huh?

Oh, so it's not fine to give a history lesson, but a lesson about economy is. I'd appreciate it if you could give me more pointers as to what is fine and what isn't, mister. :)

---

The Normans were in France since the early 900's. People who go and settle in another country and mingle with the rest of the population become part of that population. This is what has happened in virtually every country in the world, you know... Otherwise, I might argue that no one but Native Americans in good ol' USA are Americans, since everybody else came from other countries.

If you know your history, you'll know why England never became French. Not the whole population was French, just the King. Arguing the opposite would mean the various nations in Europe switched nationalities everytime a foreign sovereign came to power. You know, when all the sovereigns were marrying one another, during Napoleon's time.

Not sure what you mean. The Franks started invading Roman Gaul during the 5th century, and took over in late 6th century. Those were the Merovingians, which was the dynasty before the Carolingians. So, really... I have no idea what you mean by distinctions.

I was merely saying that the French have had empires too, so you can't say they're just a bunch of surrenderers. The fact that they didn't know how to let go of their former colonies, however idiotic, is an entirely different story.

I guess that's why Lafayette is very popular on the other side of the Atlantic ocean... Right? Nah, I think people just plain don't care about history. I see that everyday with the students at school — they don't care about history, nor can they speak their native tongue that they supposedly care more about than French.

You're right. I can't prove this. But you can't prove the opposite, can you?

Now, you're arguing semantics. :rolleyes:

Hah. Strange that you don't mention Belgium when it comes to division now. Belgian political crisis anyone? Nah, it's probably just France being the only country in the world that's got problems — you keep wearing those blinkers.

Yeah, man, judge a person's ability to govern a country by their height; it's the only parameter that counts, after all. :rolleyes: (Not saying he's a good president, just that the way you judge a sovereign isn't exactly the best.) Anyway, it's very simple to understand. The dude won 'cause the left-winged parties in France can't even agree on whether they need to take a piss or not first thing after getting up in the morning. Besides, I don't think you should trust the polls, as they're almost always way off. We all saw that in '02.

So yeah... Basically, the French suck and if they don't, they're not French. Nice try, but not nice enough.

16. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
  17. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast

Thanks Received:
    Well... It's EA we're talking about here, so conflicts of interests are bound to happen, I suppose. Can't imagine how it is to have three, four platforms like that on your computer just to get rid of that issue...

18. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:

stale old news days late qubit

10 Million points folded for TPU
  19. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, thanks for your 'constructive' comment. :rolleyes: So you think because you posted about it (your link is broken by the way, maybe get that fixed ;)) a little before in the forum it can't be a news article?

It's not "days old", anyway (well not when I posted the news story).

20. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    ill try and make it a bit more constructive next time;), im no hater no sweat, but i read that on guru on friday and the links broke cos its old simples

and yeh its fine as news as some might not have seen it yet but 3 days later makes it a repeat for a lot of us hence my point, next day yeh fine that day great , 3 days later bit late imho

OT Ubisoft Are on Crack simples , theyll get none of my money on any format ever again, and they may not be the only ones,

im starting to think EA have done something similar on the sly as crysis 2 seems to want to reactivate with the slightest oc tweek, ive had to go through ea support a few times now to get it back activated . only to start it again last night (after mem oc) and the shit wants activateing again upon which it tells me activations exceeded.

ive had enough of drm, all games on my pc are getting cracked now, just so i can play MY ORIGINALs when i sodding want ,pathetic its easyier by a country mile to get install and play a copy then it is to play my allready installed game that ive owned a while.:wtf:

qubit says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  21. bogie New Member

Thanks Received:
    UBISofts games are on my ban list. Won't ever buy any of them. Crappy software developer anyway! F U UBI. :shadedshu

qubit says thanks.
  22. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Quibit, you might want to update the news post. Guru3D was contacted by support over the weekend and their key was unlocked so he could do the benchmark article.

So there you have it, benchmarkers wanting to use the game need simply contact the proper tech support people and have the key unlocked.

And normal people will need to contact tech support if they update hardware 3 times.

99% of users will never be effected, and those that are are taken care of.

qubit says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  23. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Hey, no problem, we're good. Thankyou, I really appreciate it. :toast:

But I don't understand why you think it's three days old there, buddy? :confused: I wonder if it's a timezone effect? Look, the article on Guru3D is dated the 14th and so is mine, going by the timezone on the TPU server (GMT-6 ie it changes date 6 hours after GMT).

+1, I couldn't agree more with boycotting Ubisoft and I'm not surprised that EA are pulling a similar stunt, too. And hey, you know what, I've got so many games on my Steam account, all with Steam-only DRM, that it's real easy for me to avoid buying the ones with this garbage on. Heck, if the biggest games seller of all, Activision, doesn't infest their Call of Duty games with anything more than Steam DRM, then it's yet another proof that this activation BS is not needed.

Everyone: please do not let this get into a CoD vs whatever bashing thread. I'm just talking DRM here.

Thanks, I saw that, one update coming up in a bit. :) I think that Hilbert could have given a little more detail in his update though, such as has the three machine limit been lifted, is this a one-off "favour" etc. I have a feeling we're gonna see something more from Guru3D on this though...

Well, I see that you're ok with it and it boils down to what you're willing to put up with, so it's not a black and white situation. Personally, I don't think it's reasonable to make people jump through these bureaucratic hoops, waste time and get frustrated just to play their games and is enough to make me boycott the product. This stuff should be should be reserved for the proper context, such as applying for driving licences, government benefits etc, you get the picture. :) It's quite ironic that when trying to relax and de-stress with a game, one gets stressed out over something like this!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  24. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It boils down to how it is handled, and in this case it seems it is handled properly. If there was no support and no way for the user to get a solution when they hit the 3 activation limit, then I would have a problem with it. And as it is, 99% of people playing the game will never be affected by it(especially if it is true that the activations are reset after 30 days). To boycott over DRM like this is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  25. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I think assuming it only applies if they change hardware 3 times is a bit short sighted. What about someone who has a laptop and wants to install it on that? Or multiple computers that they play on? I know a lot of people that have multiple computers because they play with their wives\gf's\friends and they like to have Steam on them all with all the games installed so they can play on any of them. Hardware limiting is a poor and cumbersome way to penalize legitimate customers. What do they gain by doing this, really?