1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Another Q6600 query...

Discussion in 'RealTemp' started by r10k, May 6, 2010.

1. r10k New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Mussels, for a moment there I didn't realise you were here :)

The xigmatek cooler looks good, but I don't have any available locally for purchase tomorrow. do you know much (or have you heard much) about the Noctua coolers?

2. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Off-Topic:
    @ DrPepper: That pic made me literally laugh out loud. Very funny. I think this should be Mussels new Avy. :D
    Thanks again, I needed a good laugh.

3. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Noctua coolers are good quality, Dang just looked and your guy's price's are so HIGH! for the price of the noctua you can almost get the Corsair H50(which would be over kill)

this thread has grown sense last i checked just read ch. 20 of To kill mocking bird

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    just buy online. PCCG will get it to you within 36 hours (less if you're near melb/sydney)

5. r10k New Member

Thanks Received:
    Doubtful with the weekend ;)

EDIT: Colling-wise that Xigmatek Achilles is pretty impressive for the money, but the idle fan volume is pretty loud compared to everything else.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  6. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    weekends are for losers! real men have 7 weekdays a week!

and yeah, i forgot the weekend was so close... but dont settle for a crap cooler just because you can get it locally. Q6600's pump out the heat, and not all coolers work well on them (some coolers dont cool all four cores, they focus the cooling right on the center of the CPU)

Sxx and r10k say thanks.
  7. r10k New Member

Thanks Received:
    :)

I'm leaning more towards the NOCTUA NH-U12P SE2. It's a bit pricey, but it's dual fan and comes with its own (decently rated) TIM. Once I add TIM and shipping costs to the Xigmatek the cost is pretty close anyhow.

Sxx says thanks.
  8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the xig comes with decent stuff anyway, IIRC.

if you get a noctua + their generic TIM for the same price as a xig + MX2/MX3, its no challenge... get the xig.

Sxx and r10k say thanks.
  9. r10k New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure? From what I've been reading a dual fan NH-U12P does a fair amount better job than the Xig. Either way, the main reason I'd grab one is just because at the moment I need the issue sorted out by the end of the weekend- lots to do next week.

10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    not 100% sure no, but i know the xig let me run one of my Q6600's at 3.6GHz, silently.

Sxx and r10k say thanks.
  11. r10k New Member

Thanks Received:
    That sounds decent enough :)

It's a shame this is a time critical thing, otherwise I'd grab one for sure. I guess I'll look at my budget, and if things are tight I'll just order one and hold off on what I need to do. Otherwise, I'll go the Noctura.

Cheers for your help, once again.

Sxx says thanks.
  12. Sxx New Member

Thanks Received:
    I love my xigmatek 1283 blackknight i run it at 1200rpm silent i had my q6600 at 3.6 58c now i run it at 3.4 about 34c idle 46-49 full load prime silent, More noise from my antec 900 fans :(:(:(:(

r10k says thanks.
  13. r10k New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just as a followup- I grabbed the NH-U12P SE2. Despite a few installation time wasters and not being able to reach one of my motherboard screw positions because of its size, it's working wonders. I have it on the silent mode, and idle is 25-35C, with full load resulting in a maximum of 49C. That's obviously a neat thing considering I was barely making 49C when idle before :)

The dual fans also work nicely to clear hot air from the case, as they're lined up with my case fan.

Mussels and Sxx say thanks.
  14. Sxx New Member

Thanks Received:

I`m glad you got the cpu cooler and its working great for you now, No more worrying about temps :rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout:

15. r10k New Member

Thanks Received:
    For sure :)

'Twas a bit costly, but it's nice knowing I can push my machine and know it's all happy on the inside.

EDIT: Thanks again guys- you helped make a tough decision a lot easier.

Sxx says thanks.
  16. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received: