1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Antec1200 TJHarlow side panel mod

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by random, Mar 1, 2009.

1. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone done this mod to their antec 1200 yet?
    http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/441651-full-log-antec-1200-window-mod.html

I'm planning to do this as my first ever mod project, I've geeked it out to buy all the baddest parts I could get with my budget and now I need this mod to show em off.

I need tips on what tools I can use other than a jigsaw well any powertools since I only have a drill in my garage. I've already got sources for the U-Channel edge molding but not completely sure if it has adhesive in it and the aclyric im planning to use is 600x600mm can anyone give input on weather coloured acrylic works or looks as good(See through) as just the plain clear colour?

Are there alternate tools I can use for the incision? And is using a hacksaw to cut the steel gonna leave bad scratches around the edges?

I can get materials off www.gammods.com.au

..'Ant'.. says thanks.
  2. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea I did and I love the new look.:D A jig saw would be best bet. Maybe look into renting one at Home Depot for a 1/2 day. A dremmel would also work but cost of disc. Good luck

Attached Files:

random says thanks.
  3. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Thats some sweet as hardcore modding right there! did you use a dremel and jigsaw?

4. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Jig saw with metal blade and some tape. Now didnt even take 1/2 hour to cut out. The trim I got at auto zone, plexi at home depot and just used double sided tape. Worked out real nice and I'm very pleased with results. I just installed my cig lighter and ashtray LOL

random says thanks.
  5. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just noticed u dont live in States. Do u have Home Depots where your at ??? Well u should have something right.

6. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I can imagine I could spend a few hours using a saw lmao, i might go to a hire shop then. Man lol cig lighter and ashtray haha thats too useful, but I gotta go out the backyard to have a durry anyways as im still livin` with tha rents :).

EDIT: We got some warehouses that are local almost everywhere, I think they are able to cut it for me and let me borrow the tools for a setprice so its no problem just finding the easiest way out :D.

7. ..'Ant'..

..'Ant'.. New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow thats pretty cool mod I like the colour. :)

viczulis says thanks.
  8. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Hmm I'll have this done by next weekend, though any suggestions on which acrylic windows to use? There are some Uv reactive ones but are green.... my system is blue on the inside so thats a nono, although the 2 mirror acrylic windows look alright though are also more expensive lol

9. chuck216

chuck216

Thanks Received:
    Nice mod, but definitely not for me. It would leave me with nowhere to put my 120mm x 38mm 1.5A 3400 rpm ~150 cfm JMC/Datech 1238 12-hbta-4 fan.

10. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Almost makes me wanna do it to mine. I like it.

11. becandl New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just took off the mesh part so you could see more of the case, but still leave in the fan. All you have to do is unscrew the acrylic from the back, take out the mesh, and screw it back on.

12. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I don't really like the way its bolted on, the black little screw holders break when you unscrew them so when you screw them back in its more than likely you won't be able to tighten it back at all.

I've done that, took out the mesh but the steel angle slanty bit on the middle is really annoying.

13. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Little update on the project, no picture so far and I'm going to be picking up a jigsaw from my uncle's place. I won't be using a dremel for an incision instead I'll be cutting into the measurement with the jigsaw alone.

Will be ordering the Acrylic and U-Channel next week as shops are closed on weekends. I'll keep it updated.

14. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you done yet ??? LOL

15. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Lmfao! Nah not yet, I got the jigsaw though and cut the windows.. now hopefully my local warehouse sells acrylic and edge molding or I'd be stuck with a hole in my case for a good week hahaha. I'll post up pics of it soon

16. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    cool :D

17. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Its just been hard to get the correct equipment for cutting the steel, no-one in my fam does construction work except my dad who's 80% overseas so yeah no tools for me to work with.

But hell I can already see how its going to look like in a few days, im excited :D

18. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you painting too ? or just window either way should look good.

19. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Somehow I don't think all that info was necessary. :laugh:

20. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    :roll::roll:

21. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Lol been thinking about which paint to put on, i don't really have that much experience with painting, do I just use normal paint spray?

22. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Here's Progress update, just need the U-channel to cover up wonkiness and the acrylic window.

LOL its wonky, its my first time to use a jigsaw... IT GETS HOT I BURNT MY THUMB!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looking good:) As for painting yea pretty much any spray paint. I always go to car parts place. But if you paint the plastic you'll need different paint. :D Just scuff up (sand) prime and paint. A couple coats a clear coat if you like. :toast:

random says thanks.
  24. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I'm gonna copy your scheme if you don't mind, as in spray paint side panel and the front of the HDD cages.

What color suits blue and black!? :S BLUE?

25. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not at all LOL I went with blue because all the blue case fans. I'm going to be water cooling here soon so now I got to decide red or yellow tubing. decisions decisions. LOL