1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyway to fix/workaround Vdroop?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by JATownes, Apr 27, 2010.

1. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I have started noticing my Asus M4A79 MB has started to have a case of Vdroop. It has started to affect my OC hitting 3.9Ghz because the voltage drops just under where I need it to stay to be stable. My DFI LP790FXB-M2RSH hasn't suffered this problem and I was just curious if any of the hard-core clockers out there have any advice or suggestions for a fix. I have the DFI sitting in a box, but thought the VRMs on the Asus would sustain the votage better, but I was apparently wrong. I REALLY like this Asus, but I can't handle the vdroop issue. Is the only fix to swap my MB back?
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Turn on LLC, and lower your voltage setting. This will lead to lower idle volts by a bit(should be fine though), and @ load, voltage will increase to where you need it(if you use CnQ, then this is no big deal at all).

Each cpu is going to vary the AMT of boost to volts given under load. You'll have to play a bit to find the sweetspot. 1.4 gives avg 1.45v load.
    JATownes says thanks.
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If the bios doesnt have droop control, the only thing i know to do is pencil or hard volt mod of the motherboard. Of course when I did it, there was a writeup over at XS for my motherboard.
    JATownes says thanks.
  4. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Wow I thought I had been all through my BIOS. What is this LLC you refer to, I have never heard of it?

Edit: Ok. Google is my friend. Load Line Calibration. I don't remember seeing this, but I will check tonight when I get to the house after work. Thanks much. This has been very frustrating. My DFI could hit 3.9 all day long, but this Asus drops the voltage and OCCT gives me errors or blue screens.