• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Announces Apple Vision Pro AR Spatial Computer

Processor 12900K @5.1all Pcore only, 1.23v
Motherboard MSI Edge
Cooling D15 Chromax Black
Memory 32GB 4000 C15
Video Card(s) 4090 Suprim X
Storage Various Samsung M.2s, 860 evo other
Display(s) Predator X27 / Deck (Nreal air) / LG C3 83
Case FD Torrent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Ananda / AudioEngine A5+
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 1000W
Mouse Amazon finest (no brand)
Keyboard Amazon finest (no brand)
VR HMD Index
Benchmark Scores I got some numbers.
I would buy one just to stream games to it tbh, if the weight is ok. It could also replace the need for a laptop. Just really comes down to weight.

This will finally turn the human race into the ultimate evolution/form ~
super saiyan GIF
Nope wrong gif :ohwell:
vr GIF

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
So what I'm hearing is I can get 90% of the experience at 50% of the price by taping an iPhone 14 pro max to a set of Google cardboard VR goggles + Anker battery pack?

Apple HATES this one trick!!!

Or just get a Quest 3 at $500. No over-priced Apple gear needed.

Someone who actually got to use it. The tech is really good, but it does feel dystopian in some way. It doesn't take 360° video/photos, but stereoscopic 3D video and photos... the question is, do you really want to wear it while witnessing important moments in your life? I understand the intent to use technology to "connect", have immersive photos of great moments in your life... but in practicality, it might end up being another case of "starring at your phone instead of being fully in the moment", but in an immersive way.

Yhea, they don't invent new technology, they are just better than most at actually selling the tech to the mass. Who know what could have happen If Xerox put a patent on the mouse/GUI, and sold an OS and computer themselves?

Marques Brownlee is very pro Apple so weigh that when you consider his opinion.

He goes off about the hand tracking not being in any other HMD but Oculus has had that for awhile now on the quest 2 and it's good. Methinks he doesn't have enough experience with VR / AR headsets to say just how good this HMD is compared to other devices already on the market.

Just looking up this set, I think Apple's might be better spec wise. Varjo requires a full up computer to be plugged into. Also, it costs almost 3 times as much. I could go into a long list of pluses here on Apple's product, but it means nothing since it can't be purchased today like Varjo. So ultimately the win goes to Varjo until next year. LoL

Not even the 4090 can drive the high end Varjo in any demanding real-time graphical applications let alone the higher resolution of the Apple HMD. Fine for work but games are too much. Now compare the 4090's 85,000 to the M2's 3,600 in 3DMark Wildlife extreme and it makes you realize that the Apple HMD is beyond under-powered for anything remotely demanding at the resolution it's displays run at. Apple likely demonstrated their HMD only rendering basic 2D objects in a 3D space because doing anything more is a massive challenge for a graphics chip that weak at such a high resolution. The applications that actually run using spatial aspect will be very low resolution or low detail.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
I have some weird googles to look into a tv or a monitor, and that somehow is the new magic invention. Stupid that's all i got to say

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
So what I'm hearing is I can get 90% of the experience at 50% of the price by taping an iPhone 14 pro max to a set of Google cardboard VR goggles + Anker battery pack?

Apple HATES this one trick!!!

I mean sure, if you buy this and only use it as you would use a phone it's dumb. I could buy a forklift and use it for commuting and shopping and it would be incredibly dumb.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
I mean sure, if you buy this and only use it as you would use a phone it's dumb. I could buy a forklift and use it for commuting and shopping and it would be incredibly dumb.

Isn't the main uses for this according to Apple, to be used as a phone, a camera, a laptop, a tv? Try to do all that but in a gimmick way and less optimal then the things it tries to replace. It's a fair point.

Apart from that it's a better VR headset but you also pay an insane cost/premium for it. I'm sure the competitors could build a similar VR for less, as it always happens with Apple stuff.

foo3

15x the price of a quest for the same experience as an ipad? - tough sell

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
System Name Trackstar
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D -30 All Core CO (on Corsair XC5 block)
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite V2 Rev 1.0 (F16f BIOS)
Cooling Corsair XD5 pump / Corsair XR5 1x 360mm (front) + 1x 420mm (top) rads
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GVKA)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6950XT OC Formula (on Bykski A-AR6900XTOCF-X block)
Storage WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB w/HS
Display(s) Dell S3222DGM 32" 1440p/165Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1200 Integrated Audio
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1200W / Liebert GXT4-1500RT120 UPS
Mouse Corsair Nightsword RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60 RGB PRO
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/sw/439846 https://www.3dmark.com/fs/29315810
I guess the reason I take issue with it is because in the release video they only show it being used for browsing photos, watching movies, searching the internet and other pedestrian tasks that don't warrant the price tag. I would've liked to see some legitimately interesting software that allows you to do things that aren't possible with what we'd consider traditional tech. Someone could buy a kitted out Mac Mini with a max spec M2 Pro and 32GB of memory and one of their 5K studio displays for the same price and probably have a better experience doing the tasks they showed off in the video. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm more disappointed with their product positioning than the actual product itself.

System Name Red Devil
Processor AMD 5950x - Vermeer - B0
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm; 14 x Corsair QL 120mm RGB Case Fans
Memory G.SKill Trident Z Neo 32GB Kit DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB)
Video Card(s) PowerColor's Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT (Navi 21 XTX)
Storage 2 x Western Digital SN850 1GB; 1 x Samsung SSD 870EVO 2TB
Display(s) 3 x Asus VG27AQL1A; 1 x Sony A1E OLED 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) Corsair SP2500; Steel Series Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (XBox Version)
Power Supply AX1500i Digital ATX - 1500w - 80 Plus Titanium
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 - Optical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11
The quest is hot garbage. Side note...I might had been on board if it was Chic-Fil-A. I wouldn't feed McDonalds nuggets to a PoW.

Or just get a Quest 3 at $500. No over-priced Apple gear needed.

Marques Brownlee is very pro Apple so weigh that when you consider his opinion.

He goes off about the hand tracking not being in any other HMD but Oculus has had that for awhile now on the quest 2 and it's good. Methinks he doesn't have enough experience with VR / AR headsets to say just how good this HMD is compared to other devices already on the market.

Not even the 4090 can drive the high end Varjo in any demanding real-time graphical applications let alone the higher resolution of the Apple HMD. Fine for work but games are too much. Now compare the 4090's 85,000 to the M2's 3,600 in 3DMark Wildlife extreme and it makes you realize that the Apple HMD is beyond under-powered for anything remotely demanding at the resolution it's displays run at. Apple likely demonstrated their HMD only rendering basic 2D objects in a 3D space because doing anything more is a massive challenge for a graphics chip that weak at such a high resolution. The applications that actually run using spatial aspect will be very low resolution or low detail.
...Nobody is impressed by the Quest; however, this new Apple toy has all the tech geeks going crazy. This is a bit different my friend.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
The quest is hot garbage. Side note...I might had been on board if it was Chic-Fil-A. I wouldn't feed McDonalds nuggets to a PoW.

...Nobody is impressed by the Quest; however, this new Apple toy has all the tech geeks going crazy. This is a bit different my friend.

It has all the hipsters going crazy, which is pretty typical for an Apple product. The impression at broad in the AR / VR community is pretty mixed. There is more positive sentiment towards quest products in the VR community than there is for this device. The quest lineup has been selling very well so clearly there are people that like it.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, this would definitely be more polished than most other VR/AR headsets because it's Apple. But then it's also stupidly priced. I'd rather buy a second hand car with that money, it could actually take you places for real.

One of the few things I'd want a device like this is for having diagrams, schematics, specs, guides for instructional use for building, repairing, constructing, soldering, etc. But in a form akin to reading glasses. This is very cool, but not for me.

That has been one of the key markets for the hololens helping in manufacturing and machine maintenance - the other market being the military for **stuff**

do you really want to wear it while witnessing important moments in your life?

The guy wearing the headset while he watches the kids play has to be one of the most dystopic things apple ever put in a presentation

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I guess the reason I take issue with it is because in the release video they only show it being used for browsing photos, watching movies, searching the internet and other pedestrian tasks that don't warrant the price tag. I would've liked to see some legitimately interesting software that allows you to do things that aren't possible with what we'd consider traditional tech. Someone could buy a kitted out Mac Mini with a max spec M2 Pro and 32GB of memory and one of their 5K studio displays for the same price and probably have a better experience doing the tasks they showed off in the video. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm more disappointed with their product positioning than the actual product itself.

I think the idea is to have the market decide how best to use it. At this point it's a massively upgraded Hololens but with mass market appeal. And it does have some advantages: you can use on on a flight or train in a way you wouldn't be able to use a laptop, and a big one is the ability to just put up screens whever you want them.

This specific product won't sell in numbers massive enough to cover the RD costs, obviosuly. But what is interesting is to see ver 3 or 4.
It has all the hipsters going crazy, which is pretty typical for an Apple product. The impression at broad in the AR / VR community is pretty mixed. There is more positive sentiment towards quest products in the VR community than there is for this device. The quest lineup has been selling very well so clearly there are people that like it.

The Quest is a VR headset though, this is not. Apple didn't mention games at all, because that specific market at this time is pretty mich saturated.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
I think the idea is to have the market decide how best to use it. At this point it's a massively upgraded Hololens but with mass market appeal. And it does have some advantages: you can use on on a flight or train in a way you wouldn't be able to use a laptop, and a big one is the ability to just put up screens whever you want them.

This specific product won't sell in numbers massive enough to cover the RD costs, obviosuly. But what is interesting is to see ver 3 or 4.

The Quest is a VR headset though, this is not. Apple didn't mention games at all, because that specific market at this time is pretty mich saturated.
that's pretty much what he's suggesting in that video, but he's also worried that Apple "doing what other can, but better" might not be enough. Unless the devs are really inspired, it's just going to be another very good headset, If Apple themselves couldn't think outside the box when it comes to the software

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Somehow the front view says "glossier quest 2" while the back says "I belong with your SNES"

The quest 2 got some crazy updates over time, and using third party software like virtual desktop streamer DRASTICALLY changes what they can do, with far higher performance... I dont even use oculus/meta software at all, just steam VR and the virtual streamer and it chugs away at 120Hz/FPS problem free.

The problem is I can never convince anyone to use it often - and because of that software devs never spend much money on them. When there are so few must have VR apps and they're only available on other platforms, what's apple going to do to make users/businesses use their VR/AR instead?

System Name Vedica
Processor Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte AORUS Ultra Z390
Cooling Alphacool Eisblock XPX
Memory 32GB DDR4, 4x Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS8G4D30AESBK
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080
Storage 2x Sabrent 1 TB Rocket - 1x Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004
Display(s) Dell AW3423DWF
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Motu M2
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse Cooler Master MM720
Keyboard Wooting One
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

The quest is an XR headset, which means it can do both VR and AR. By default the Quest pro doesn't even come with light blockers (which you need for immersive VR) and is clearly angled at the same market as the Apple HMD.

The entire reason you buy the pro over the quest is for it's ability as an AR HMD. The ironic part is that the quest pro didn't sell well at it's higher launch MSRP targeting the same market that Apple is going for. It wasn't until they lowered the price and started advertising more to the VR market that sales improved.

Also, I feel like it needs to be pointed out that Apple is claiming copyright on YouTuber's videos who's impressions of the product were not approved of by Apple.

Last edited:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I find it impressive.
Not hardware but software-wise.

Yes there are/will be probably better VR sets but I don't think there is software, environment or apps in general in that scale that work without issues from day one.

I like it and I could put some money on a set like this.
But I don't like iOS (apart from the one in my mobile phone). When Windows, apps, games and VR sets match that level of user friendliness, I will definitely consider buying one.

Good lord, man...what a reasonable comment!

Yeah the price is high ah...but then it reminds me of the original Mac like that (and which is why I never got to touch one beyond school back when). We do all know how that product worked out.

Is it overclockable?

I like you.

There is apparently some killer content that already exists too incl something LOTR my superfan wife tells me. Which could ultimately also have to do w/ a Orlando attraction someday, as an aside.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Is it overclockable?
yup, got that done too
They added a devmode feature for a 7% Overclock boost mode, and you can enable it with these tools (like choosing 72/90/120Hz) at the cost of battery life and heat - letting you choose the balance you want.
Quest2 being android based has a *lot* of awesome features available to devs. At this point I think they just unlocked it for everyone, and put it in the in-headset settings.

Mine runs OC'd and at 120Hz because i run a headband with hotswap magnetic battery packs, so i have about 5x the battery life without even taking the headset off if i had the spare in a pocket

SideQuestVR was used to sideload apps, but also change all these settings before they're officially released unlocked
Virtual desktop streamer has an awkward name, unfortunately but it's an alternative to the stock software - you can use it to stream a 2D desktop directly, or use with steamVR with gaming
Oculus tray tools uses their software, but with a ton of tweaks

The BoboVR strap is freaking amazing, the gel cushioning is cooler and less forceful, and the battery weight at the back rebalances the headset to prevent as much pressure on your face - big game changer for headache prevention

1686199184085.png

1686199197096.png

The batteries use strong magnets and a loud beep, so you know when its connected even with the headset on, with blind hotswaps
1686199210133.png

Apple wants another device to sell expensive accesories for, and i fear they'll try to patent lock a bunch of good designs or ideas and prevent them being used on other devices

Sidequest image, i think this is no longer needed. The Quest2 devs seemed to notice what was popular in the modding community and adopted a lot of tweaks officially, and since i use VDS and it has these options, I havent used this in a long time.
1686199481579.png

Last edited:
System Name Vedica
Processor Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte AORUS Ultra Z390
Cooling Alphacool Eisblock XPX
Memory 32GB DDR4, 4x Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS8G4D30AESBK
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080
Storage 2x Sabrent 1 TB Rocket - 1x Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004
Display(s) Dell AW3423DWF
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Motu M2
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse Cooler Master MM720
Keyboard Wooting One
yup, got that done too
They added a devmode feature for a 7% Overclock boost mode, and you can enable it with these tools (like choosing 72/90/120Hz) at the cost of battery life and heat - letting you choose the balance you want.
Quest2 being android based has a *lot* of awesome features available to devs. At this point I think they just unlocked it for everyone, and put it in the in-headset settings.

Mine runs OC'd and at 120Hz because i run a headband with hotswap magnetic battery packs, so i have about 5x the battery life without even taking the headset off if i had the spare in a pocket

SideQuestVR was used to sideload apps, but also change all these settings before they're officially released unlocked
Virtual desktop streamer has an awkward name, unfortunately but it's an alternative to the stock software - you can use it to stream a 2D desktop directly, or use with steamVR with gaming
Oculus tray tools uses their software, but with a ton of tweaks

The BoboVR strap is freaking amazing, the gel cushioning is cooler and less forceful, and the battery weight at the back rebalances the headset to prevent as much pressure on your face - big game changer for headache prevention

The batteries use strong magnets and a loud beep, so you know when its connected even with the headset on, with blind hotswaps

Apple wants another device to sell expensive accesories for, and i fear they'll try to patent lock a bunch of good designs or ideas and prevent them being used on other devices

Sidequest image, i think this is no longer needed. The Quest2 devs seemed to notice what was popular in the modding community and adopted a lot of tweaks officially, and since i use VDS and it has these options, I havent used this in a long time.
Wow, that's a lot of information. Thanks! I'm going to pass them on to my father-in-law, who has one and I suppose he only uses it for iRacing. Perhaps I'll borrow it.

Wye

Fake clickbait title in trending topics "Apple VR Headset Launched".
It did not launched, just announced.
Are you THAT desperate?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Are you THAT desperate?
Who? Apple or techpowerup?

News articles are repeated with the original wording, otherwise they're not news