• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Announces its Slimmest MacBook Yet

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
anti-Apple mentality in this thread is astonishing. Even more so when most of the people commenting are people who've already stated that they would never use a Mac anyways.
Just to clarify about myself, I have used and repaired Macs, But I wont use them again until they change their way of thinking and design, they are the worst design I have ever come across to repair and I'm not too fond of their software either.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
they are the worst design I have ever come across to repair and I'm not too fond of their software either.
Care to provide some specifics instead of just making blanket statements?

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Wanna replace the battery?? Nope.. You need a new logic board... Wanna upgrade RAM?? WE'LL MAKE IT HELL...

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Wanna replace the battery?? Nope.. You need a new logic board... Wanna upgrade RAM?? WE'LL MAKE IT HELL...
Don't be a smart ass. Yes, the batteries are harder to replace now but they don't require replacement of the logic board. In order to make the laptops small and thin you need to solder components to the board and position components carefully. Having slots and sockets only adds to the size of the laptop. So yeah, things are going to be harder to replace for the sake of making a laptop as mobile as possible.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
thing is replacing the whole system for a minor upgrade like RAM or HDD is stupid. we need more upgradeability and not less. Why do you think project ara was made? people hate replacing entire phones for a minor upgrade, specially when upgrading phones involves contract drama, instead of breaking a contract or spending 700 bucks to get a better phone (unlocked price) you just buy a new component and there you go!

upgrades should be easier in this time where the economy isn't as good, there's also a lot more eco minded people that don't want more waste, etc....

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
thing is replacing the whole system for a minor upgrade like RAM or HDD is stupid. we need more upgradeability and not less. Why do you think project ara was made? people hate replacing entire phones for a minor upgrade, specially when upgrading phones involves contract drama, instead of breaking a contract or spending 700 bucks to get a better phone (unlocked price) you just buy a new component and there you go!

upgrades should be easier in this time where the economy isn't as good, there's also a lot more eco minded people that don't want more waste, etc....
Then how about you design such a small modular device? You make it sound like it's so easy to design a device that is small, reliable, and upgradable. You're living in a dream and I think you're greatly underestimating the impediments to doing what you suggest.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I think Aquinus is giving the Apple fanbuoy a new meaning :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::roll:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I think Aquinus is giving the Apple fanbuoy a new meaning :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::roll:

I think I recall him saying he works for Apple. His bias is understandable if he makes his living off of Apple.

System Name octo1
Processor dual Xeon 2687W ES
Motherboard Supermicro
Cooling dual Noctua NH-D14
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
Most people are impressed by things like branding. I was out with some friends a few weeks ago and this girl sees the top of my phone poking out of my shirt pocket and asks to see it thinking it's an iphone. I hand it to her and you can see she's bummed out that it's just an LG volt.

Status symbols are a big deal for most people and they don't care if they're spending twice what something is actually worth as long as it boosts their self image and think it makes them one of the cool kids. That's mainly what Apple is, a status symbol - like a Coach bag or designer clothing. You don't buy it because it gives you the most bang for your buck. You buy it because of how it makes others perceive you - or at least the way you believe it does.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Watch your language. You know damn well that posts like this are unacceptable here at TPU. I know that you know better. Not to mention, peronally insulting me doesn't help your argument. It just making your agrument look weak because you've had to resort to insulting me instead of Apple.
I think I recall him saying he works for Apple. His bias is understandable if he makes his living off of Apple.
I work in education. Most people know that educational institutions tend to have a hard-on for Apple products. I never said I worked for Apple, I just said I'm provided one by work. Once again, I'm looking at this from the standpoint of a user of a product, not the person buying it. I would never buy an Apple product because of the price alone, however, work (being an Apple shop which was not my choice,) means that my only option for a laptop is a Mac.

I'm not saying this is a good laptop, I'm explaining what I think Apple's justification for it is, but people seem to more more interested in calling me a fanboy then actually having an intelligible conversation about it.
Status symbols are a big deal for most people and they don't care if they're spending twice what something is actually worth as long as it boosts their self image and think it makes them one of the cool kids. That's mainly what Apple is, a status symbol - like a Coach bag or designer clothing. You don't buy it because it gives you the most bang for your buck. You buy it because of how it makes others perceive you - or at least the way you believe it does.
While I do think that Apple branding is similar to getting something like a BMW with respect to status, I think it's ignorant to ignore the fact that Apple's QA tends to be pretty good. For the last 5 years, most Apple laptops I've worked on or have used have been built pretty well. You don't just buy a BMW because it's a status symbol. You buy one because BMW builds a nice car and maybe you want a status symbol. Apple is the same way, it might be marked up, but to say that Apple doesn't build a quality (in terms of construction) device is just insane and has no basis in fact when you compare it to other laptop manufacturers.

Once again, I'm not saying Apple's pricing is good. I'm just saying why I think they released this product. You're all calling me out, but I'm the only person making a rebuttal. If all you people are going to do is post smut like this:
Then maybe you need to keep your mouth shut.

I'm defending Apple because no one else will and I happen to know that Apple builds a solid product. Explain to me how the bias here isn't the opposite way around? I've used Apples, HPs, and Dells, and the HP and Dells are built nothing like the Apple products. So lets not lose sight of the fact that there is a difference in build quality and you are paying for it. However, as Twilith said, there is a status associated with it and you're definitely paying for that as well.

Last edited:
System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
While I do think that Apple branding is similar to getting something like a BMW with respect to status, I think it's ignorant to ignore the fact that Apple's QA tends to be pretty good. For the last 5 years, most Apple laptops I've worked on or have used have been built pretty well. You don't just buy a BMW because it's a status symbol. You buy one because BMW builds a nice car and maybe you want a status symbol. Apple is the same way, it might be marked up, but to say that Apple doesn't build a quality (in terms of construction) device is just insane and has no basis in fact when you compare it to other laptop manufacturers.

Once again, I'm not saying Apple's pricing is good. I'm just saying why I think they released this product.
I don't see anyplace where I impugned Apple quality so it seems that you're reading what you want to rather than what is actually being said.

Similarly, I wouldn't impugn the quality of most high status brands. People might be stupid but as a general rule they're not complete idiots. So if they pay twice as much for something, they're not going to go back and buy that same brand again if it falls apart as quickly as something a lot cheaper.

Unfortunately the quality argument is one that is always used by marketers to get people to rationalize paying a disproportionate amount for something. My point is that were status not a major motivation for people purchasing Apple products, you wouldn't see them passing up products with better specs and lower prices. Maybe a given Apple product is of better quality than many competitors in the same performance niche. But it's a lot harder to argue that the difference in quality justifies the difference in price.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
Boys and girls let's play nice, and stop calling each other names in the process.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I work in education. Most people know that educational institutions tend to have a hard-on for Apple products. I never said I worked for Apple, I just said I'm provided one by work. Once again, I'm looking at this from the standpoint of a user of a product, not the person buying it. I would never buy an Apple product because of the price alone, however, work (being an Apple shop which was not my choice,) means that my only option for a laptop is a Mac.

My bad. Apple makes a quality product and imo very nice looking products so a customer should expect to pay more for that but it's apparent to most people that Apple also charges a premium on top of that for the prestige of the Apple name and logo. It's almost an arrogance with some of their customers. Sometimes they take it to absurd levels

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/apple-watch-ripoff,news-20634.html

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
My bad. Apple makes a quality product and imo very nice looking products so a customer should expect to pay more for that but it's apparent to most people that Apple also charges a premium on top of that for the prestige of the Apple name and logo. It's almost an arrogance with some of their customers. Sometimes they take it to absurd levels

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/apple-watch-ripoff,news-20634.html
Exactly. Take the Apple watch for example. The only reason to offer a model that costs between $10k and 17k is to appeal to those Apple fans that want to advertise to the world 'hey, I can afford a $10k watch.' You're not even getting your traditional watch snobs here because they're not going touch a product that's going to be obsolete in a few years. The people that buy a Patek Philippe aren't going to touch something like this. Apple is obviously pandering to a very specific market segment.

BTW, in my previous post I wasn't calling Apple lovers stupid, I was talking about people in general when it comes to tech. Most people buy tech based on branding and reputation, not based on specs or performance. That obviously doesn't apply to the average TPU user though.

I should also add that some people just like Apple software and their walled garden approach to their ecosystem. That's cool. Personally I don't understand it, but I do try not to judge.