1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Faces Fines in China, Possible iPad Ban for Trademark Infringement

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Feb 8, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ProView has the last laugh, while Apple gets a taste of its own medicine, in a remarkable turn of events that unfolded in China. Apple and ProView have been locked in a tussle over the brand name "iPad", which the latter claimed Apple dubiously acquired rights to use in 2006, by floating a shell company called IP Application Development and using it to deal with ProView. ProView had no idea it was dealing with Apple at the time (it was not shared that information), or that Apple would go on to use the name for one of its biggest selling products. A Chinese court ruled in favor of ProView. Apple now has to cough up US $38 million in fines, and sit down with ProView to work out a fresh agreement to using the brand name "iPad", or face a sales ban.

[​IMG]

Sources: China Daily, Global Times, DailyTech
  2. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    "The new apple Itab now only 2000$"
    Breathless says thanks.
  3. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Apple is a rip off, scam artist and slave labour enforcer. IMO They are as bad as Nike, i wouldn't buy their product's if you gave the me the money.
  4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how many Chinese government officials own "ProView"?

In any case, AAPL keeps facing karmic retribution. :toast: (They started it!)
  5. semantics

semantics

Thanks Received:
    Why do they care anyways, the terms copyright enforcement and china never seem to go hand in hand anyways. Hell how many "ipads" are sold in china in "apple" stores and how many ipads are sold in china in apple stores. Are two different things and they really shouldn't be. They sold that name for 55k and then sue apple for 1.5 billion lol i get that logic clearly if apple didn't buy that name from you, you would have made the same ipad and had the same success.
  6. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    app

Jobs made Apple......Apple......with no Jobs....they're just a target
  7. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    They're going to lose. The Chinese government is very big on protectionism. Every car company who has sued a Chinese car company for copying their cars has had the case thrown out with comments like "What are you talking about? I don't see any similarity at all!"
  8. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    $38 mil who cares. That's like an hour's worth of company profits.
  9. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Imagine that.
  10. Mistral

Mistral

Thanks Received:
    That sum might be a drop in the bucket for Apple, but getting their product banned from China, unless they settle with ProView first, is something that will be felt.
  11. Toadicus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh come now, does this really suprize anyone??

What?? how can anyone be suprized when a communist owned company, wins a "court" case against a non-chinese company?

Yet our Dear Leader, Heir Harper, is over there with his Controllers and Overlords selling out more Canadian raw resources, more Canadian jobs and im sure a lot of Canadian IP.

I am disgusted. I hope Harper rides their bullet train, and drives around in a chinese made car, maybe a few flights on chinese made airplane. That should greatly increase the odds of something "good" happening.

Apple is getting the fruits of using chinese slave labour, of suing every company that dares to think along His lines.... We need to learn from this...but we will not and Greed will continue to rule.
  12. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Mr.Harper (and i use that term loosely) and his cronnies are all wanna be American's and they'll stop at nothing untill Canada is part of the USA. Capitalism is great don't ya think?

Edit: I got nothing against American's, just their politic's.
  13. Toadicus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very good point!!

I too have many friends and family south of the 49th, they, like me, are hard working, tax paying people whom i love dearly.

I dislike the american goverment. yet most individual americans i meet I like .....

makes it hard to paint them all with the same brush .... in fact, one i loved for 25 years!! Damn redhead witch!
  14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    So........within the first page Apple losing a court case in China is Americas fault for Canadian problems.
    Easy Rhino says thanks.
  15. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    aww, now you are hated by a lot of people :p

same for me. their products are rip offs and they are girly.

i should side with proview and make apple withdraw the name iPad.

that should be fun.
  16. lashton New Member

Thanks Received:
    that wont happen though because they are in for some serious money, but would be funny though, get the IPAD banned everywhere!
  17. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how things will turn out.... would Apple pull all its outsourcing from China if they get a sales ban there? I'm not even sure if it's possible for them (Apple) to find other sources for hardware at this point. And to think a company (that lets face it is only in the business to make money since they are not a charity) would ever give up such a huge market that is China is pretty much unfathomable.
  18. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    No it hasn't, so don't take it there. :cool:

Doesn't bother me at all, being a realist/individual is never easy. If i wanted easy i'd be just like everyone else, standing in line waiting for my turn.

There are bad apple's in every bunch, in every basket, in every field but for the most part good peep's :respect: Love them red headed women myself! They never disappoint, always worth the trouble :D

Sorry for the O/T :eek: Back to regular thread schedule :)
  19. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    38 mill is just the FINES people

ProView is suing for damages as well to the tune of 1.58 BILLION USD
    Super XP, xenocide and Darkleoco say thanks.
  20. IceCreamBarr New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does intent mean nothing? Apple went out of their way to create a phoney company so they could essentially use the Chinese legal system to steal something. Their scheme didn't work but that changes nothing.

Take those details and fill them into a personal relationship... would anyone care to be your friend after you went out of your way to lie and misrepresent?

American companies are leading the way down a slippery slope where man made laws take president over doing what's right. Doing what is right is as simple as listening to the little Jiminy Cricket in your head... and nearly all of us will come to a similar conclusion. If you listen to man made rules, the man who knows the rules better will come out on top.

Imagine the laugh people will get in 200 years when they read about the way we live life now :) "Seriously? they spent their energy talking about actors instead of the thousands of innocent deaths caused by the Coalition of the Willing's war crimes???"

Sort of veered off topic there didn't I.
  21. 2wicked

2wicked

Thanks Received:
    If this banned the sale and production of the ipad in china, apple would be in a world of hurt.
  22. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Self Favoring Chinese Government-1, Apple-0......
  23. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    QWhy does the inclusion of the letter I makes products a sucesss. I phones I pad i7 i5. If I started selling little white and silver bags of I dirt.......id. be rich by next thursday
  24. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    They use it to give their products more appeal. It's not just a Phone, it's an iPhone. That kind of mentality goes a long way. The real issue discussed is that to get access to the name iPad in China, they started a fake company whose name happened to be a backronym for iPad. They couldn't get access to the name legally, so they did it deceptively.
  25. semantics

semantics

Thanks Received:
    I have just the product for you
    http://www.galatiinternational.com/category/Humisorb.html
    Just sell iDry bags for wet iphone and ipads, just bags filled with silica gel sold for 5 bucks t-t, all you need is a little promotion and apple customers will follow

I is the new green, just shove it in front of words and it apparently makes it better.
    ensabrenoir says thanks.