• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Launches the Mac Pro

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Dippyskoodlez said:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2627&p=3

Dothan (2.13GHz) 29.8 188 255 169
Yonah (2.0GHz) 34.7 264 323 236

Sit down, STFU. :slap: I was being nice allowing you a measly 200mhz lead. Its actually more.

Yonah SMOKES the dothan. :roll: Now, what was that about them being similar? :rolleyes: Oh wait, they arent. Care to listen to someone that follows these things? :confused:

Very good...now try and fine one of the CORE SOLO against the Pentium-M...I can't imagine why a Dual Core processor would outperform a single core processor...who would have guessed. Do you even pay attention to half the crap you say? A 4th grader could have picked up on that small little detail...probably because it isn't exactly small it is HUGE!

What kind of idiot using benchmarks of a Dual Core Core Duo compared to a Single core Pentium-M to say that the Single Core Core Solo performs better. :banghead:

If you "follow these things" I would think you would know that a dual core processor would more then likely outperform is single core couterpart.

So how about you STFU since it is glaringly obvious you know nothing...comparing a dual core processor to a single core...what an idiot. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

A lot of powerbook Ti's had this issue. Powerbook G4 AL's don't as the hinge is a vital part of the case now... there were only 3 Ti versions and it was a very short lived model ;)

Your point with that? All this time you talk about durability...yet the hinges are crap on certain models, the batteries are crap on current models, the plastic discolors on current models, and the current models overheat...all of these issues are recent and yet you still want to argue that Apples are some how better in terms of durability and build quality.:slap:

I can surf without having to worry about spyware. :nutkick:
So can I!:nutkick:
I can have "virtual desktops" similar to linux. :nutkick:
So can I, Microsoft even puts out a free powertool to do this!:nutkick:

I can compile my own kernel customized how I want :nutkick:
Last I check you can't compile your own OSX kernel...have they changed something that makes this easy to do?

I can Erase Safari and any remenents of it COMPLETELY :nutkick:
Hey you can do that with IE and XP too, in fact you can use nlite to completely strip IE from the install. You can also use several methods to completely replace explorer to if you want too. Though really it takes up a whole 2mb or so of hard drive space, so who really cares, if you don't want to use it don't use it, big deal.

Want more? :pimp:
I'm still waiting for you to actually make a good point that isn't mostly bull shit. Care to start?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
randomperson21 said:
what??? you can install virturally any x86 OS using bootcamp!
Linux, unix, windows 2k, winx0 sp1 or 2, winxp media center. anything!

do you know how bootcamp even works?!?!??!

and no haxs required. if you want to install linux, you put in your linux cd instead of your xp cd.
duh.

Do you?

A bona fide installation disc for Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)

Right off Apples site. Media Center doesn't work, I have tried, nor will any of the linux distros I have tried. It simply won't work, it isn't just a matter of just sticking in whatever disc of whatever OS you want to install, which is specifically why they say you MUST USE XP SP2, right on their site.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
newtekie1 said:
Do you?

Right off Apples site. Media Center doesn't work, I have tried, nor will any of the linux distros I have tried. It simply won't work, it isn't just a matter of just sticking in whatever disc of whatever OS you want to install, which is specifically why they say you MUST USE XP SP2, right on their site.

Which is ofcourse, why my SP1 install booted right up and installed NQA? :rolleyes:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Dippyskoodlez said:
Which is ofcourse, why my SP1 install booted right up and installed NQA? :rolleyes:

Apple says it doesn't work, you say it does. I think I am going to believe Apple on this one. They at least seem to have some sort of clue.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Oh and you can read here about installing Linux on the Mactels, it even has a nice listing of the problems, like the sound not working(not a minor problem IMO).

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/feature.aspx?CIaFID=1392

It also details how to get it to install, notice how he specifically says Ubuntu doesn't work...but I thought all x86 OSes worked, yet one of the most popular distros of linux doesn't.:confused:

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
newtekie1 said:
Apple says it doesn't work, you say it does. I think I am going to believe Apple on this one. They at least seem to have some sort of clue.

I'll get a screenshot from the Mac mini I use tomorrow afternoon. :)

Oh and you can read here about installing Linux on the Mactels, it even has a nice listing of the problems, like the sound not working(not a minor problem IMO).

It uses EFI, not Bios. Lack of DRIVERS for sound is TBE. As it is for any new hardware that is yet to be seen in the wild...:rolleyes:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Dippyskoodlez said:
I'll get a screenshot from the Mac mini I use tomorrow afternoon. :)

It uses EFI, not Bios. Lack of DRIVERS for sound is TBE. As it is for any new hardware that is yet to be seen in the wild...:rolleyes:

I didn't say it was impossible to install XP on a Mactel, so screenshots won't help one bit. I said that it wasn't easy and isn't officially support through bootcamp. If it works that is great, but Apple says it doesn't and I believe them...they are after all the ones that designed the computer AND the software. If anyone knows what it can do it is them.

And was does it using EFI and not BIOS have to do with anything? The article even specifically addresses this and says that is one of the reasons it is difficult to install other OSes(specifically linux) on the Mactels.

Lack of driver support or not, the sound doesn't work...which doesn't lead to a very enjoyable experience, and that is only one of the problems. And the hardware isn't anything new, and has been "seen in the wild" before. It is just the same old integrated Intel audio on the 945, nothing new here.

Last edited:

randomperson21

Processor AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz
Motherboard ECS NForce4 A-939
Cooling CPU: Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu GFX: Zalman VF-700AlCu, 2x120mm+5x80mm w/ Ultra 7ch Fan Controller
Memory Kingston 2x512MB DDR PC3200 Dual Channel 3-3-3-8
Video Card(s) EVGA Nvidia 7900GT KO Superclocked
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.8/9 160GB SATAII NCQ in RAID0: 300GB total capacity
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 941BW (19" widescreen, 1440x900)
Case Antec P180B
Audio Device(s) Built in. 5.1Ch Logitech Z-5500 500w soundsystem, digital Coax connection
Power Supply Spire 500W
Software Windows Vista Ultimate
newtekie1 said:
Do you?

yes.

and secondly, you said you have a 1ghz g4. bootcamp only works on macintels.

also, apple only officially supports sp2. thats why its on their site. but intrepid users have simply popped in linux cds, and they worked.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
randomperson21 said:
yes.

and secondly, you said you have a 1ghz g4. bootcamp only works on macintels.

also, apple only officially supports sp2. thats why its on their site. but intrepid users have simply popped in linux cds, and they worked.

Hey wrong person, I never said I owned a 1GHz G4. I said I owned a Mac, I have never said anything about the specs of the machine. Dippyskoodlez is the one with the 1GHz G4.

Yeah, and intrepid users have just popped in linux CDs and they have NOT worked. Like I said, some of the most popular distros don't work. I know for a fact Media Center Edition doesn't work, Fedora Core(formerly red hat) doesn't work, mandriva(formerly mandrake) doesn't work, ubuntu doesn't work, SUSE doesn't work, and Gentoo boots but doesn't function correctly...yet you say I can run any x86 OS on a Mactel? :confused:

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
newtekie1 said:
And was does it using EFI and not BIOS have to do with anything? The article even specifically addresses this and says that is one of the reasons it is difficult to install other OSes(specifically linux) on the Mactels.

EFI is only the big problem with running normal x86 os's on macs.. :rolleyes:
EFI is NOT bios.. so drivers have to be written differently when talking to it. ;)

Plus the fact BIOS calls from the kernel wont work are only a minor problem? :roll:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Dippyskoodlez said:
EFI is only the big problem with running normal x86 os's on macs.. :rolleyes:
EFI is NOT bios.. so drivers have to be written differently when talking to it. ;)

Plus the fact BIOS calls from the kernel wont work are only a minor problem? :roll:

Yes, and it is a might big problem at that and the reason most x86 OSes DON'T work...kind of my point thanks for helping clear it up. :rolleyes:

By the way, how are those Core Solo benchmarks coming? Find any yet?