1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev. 2 Pictured

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Mar 3, 2009.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    PC component cooling major Arctic Cooling is readying a revision for the Freezer XTREME CPU cooler. The new cooler, simply called Freezer XTREME Rev. 2, retains the basic design, while having a reworked retention module. Due to the size and cooling efficiency of the cooler, it was found of it to be capable of supporting the entire range of desktop processors based on Intel's Nehalem architecture.

The new, reworked retention module provides support for Intel sockets LGA-1366 and LGA-1156. That aside, standard features and design of the cooler remain: copper CPU contact block, four copper heatpipes, large aluminum fin array, and a central 120 mm fan to circulate air. Arctic Cooling is expected to announce this cooler soon. Whether it comes up as a separate SKU or it replaces the existing Freezer Xtreme model from the lineup remains to be seen.

[​IMG]

Source: ComputerBase

2. Famous Hobo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Better be better than the first.

3. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice revision. lets just pray that the lengthwise side will fit horizontally on most boards.

4. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I got the first one for a PII 940 and was NOT impressed, and this appears to be almost identical. 38c Idle, 57c load. Maybe mine was defective, as some reviews showed it to be adequate, but I got better performance from the stock cooler.:confused:

I will stick with my new Mugen 2.

5. Mistral

Mistral

Thanks Received:
    Have the "rev. 1" and can't complain. For its price it's a steal and it eats stock coolers for breakfast. Orthos struggles to get my e8400 over 60c at 4.2GHz.

All in all, Arctic Cooling is unbeatable in budget/performance...

6. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    The Xigmatek HDT S1283 cools better and is cheaper.

7. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    agreed

8. Slyr7.62

Slyr7.62

Thanks Received:
    I second that. The S1283 may not be the best HSF for a heavily OC'd quadcore a la I7, but for the price(and performance), it can't be beat. :rockout:

I have an E8400 OC'd to 3.6ghz, max temp is 42-45C w/ LinX (Linpack), any other program won't get the temps as high. :p :D

9. BOSE

Thanks Received:
    I hope they keep using those light aluminum fins as they did in the first one. Keeps the cooler very light compared to other coolers.