1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are EVGA 780 TI classified cards limited to 1.212v?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by AlienDemigod, Aug 13, 2014.

1. AlienDemigod

AlienDemigod

Thanks Received:
    I am reading conflicting reports online. Some say they can be unlocked to 1.350v and others say that its hardware locked to 1.212v. What is the Truth?

2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

conflict in information could stem from the fact that EVGA have marketed five 780Ti classified cards, *some of these may well unlock other no so; look here

[would need to research model numbers for the vga cards; that others have successfully unlocked]

atb

Law-II

3. AlienDemigod

AlienDemigod

Thanks Received:
    I have this one: 03G-P4-2888-KR

4. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    As far as I was aware, all 780ti's, even Classified cards from EVGA are voltage locked. You need to use the EVGA Classified tool, available through forums. I got mine at Overclock.net, just find their 780ti Classified thread.
    A Classified without a voltage tool is an overpriced white elephant. To be fair, I game at Max stock volts, 1.21v. If it's that voltage you're talking about, no way should any Classy be locked below that- I'd want a refund.
    If you do get the Classified voltage tool, read up about it, it can set higher than it says and I've had mine at 1.4v.
    On holiday at moment so can't help out much more.

Edit: I read your post again. Nvidia don't allow partners to go above 1.21v. Not even EVGA. You need the Classified tool.

AlienDemigod and Law-II say thanks.
  5. AlienDemigod

AlienDemigod

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. Yea i am running at 1.212v using precisionX. I have also found the classified tool, flashed skyn3t-v2 bios. did somebenchmarks and stuff. You know I bought this card thinking it was pretty much the best of the best for overclocking next to the kingpin. Its a little disappointing I have to use this tool and flash bios to get the most out of the card. Its not to late for me to return this card. If I was to return this card what would you recommend as the best all round card under 900? I want something I can tinker with without flashing bios and using more than one third party tool. I tried 290X and it had unlocked voltage and was pretty cool card, and decent performer under water. I upgraded from that to this classified card. Now Im thinking kingpin, What do you think? Does the kingpin have unlocked voltage or does it require the voltage tool, precisionx and a custom bios as well?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  6. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    No card is unlocked. Nv don't permit it. Kingpin is better for people looking at extreme benching, ironically with heatsink removal and using liquid nitrogen. Not worth it for gaming.

Edit: As far as I know no other 780ti voltage can go as high as EVGA Classified cards. The software is designed for it exclusively.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    AlienDemigod says thanks.
  7. AlienDemigod

AlienDemigod

Thanks Received:
    I guess Im looking for the card that puts up the highest benchmarking numbers under water cooling.

8. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    That's down to luck and voltage. You're not guaranteed to bench higher under water with a Kingpin as the temps will be similar but at least with either card you can get higher than stock volts.

9. d1nky

Thanks Received:
    best bet for a good bit of silicon is the hwbot forums classified ads.

People aren't scammers or anything on there, if you sign up and then message the person before buying you should find something you are after at a good price. For example, theres a nice DCII 780ti atm for sale ''card runs 1354/1965 on stock volts, stock cooler. ASIC is 66% on this sample''

http://forum.hwbot.org/forumdisplay.php?f=122

10. AlienDemigod

AlienDemigod

Thanks Received:
    I logged in to the forum over at hw.bot.org but I dont see any listings in the for sale, wanted, or sold sections, maybe that section of the forum is under maintenance or something.

11. AlienDemigod

AlienDemigod

Thanks Received:
    I have yet to reach the limits of my current card but so far to me it seems average at best. I see people getting higher benchmarks with lesser cpu, gpu clocks, and ram frequencies. For example: my gpu clock could only reach 1218 at 1.212v which from what I can tell is far below average. I have yet to test the upper limits of the card but I have tested stable up to 1259/1900 with around 1.250v (it may go farther) and that only netted me p16125 on 3dmark11. Again I see many others with lesser clocks and higher scores. That was also with my I7-4790K running at 4.8. I am willing to play the silicon lotto until I get a superior chip.

12. d1nky

Thanks Received:
    most people also tweak. for example. operating system, drivers and other small apps which help boost scores.

p.s there should be a lot of stuff in the classifieds, maybe its a glitch.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  13. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    From my knowledge all current Nvidia GPUs are voltage locked. But i was able to flash my GTX 780 with Skyn3t BIOs and use a modded Afterburner which allowed me to push max 1.325V