1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AS5 on VPU Question ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Polarman, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will receive my new 4870 very soon.

Should i take the stock cooler off, Clean the gob of goop that they put way too much of and re-apply AS5 "Artic silver 5" on the VPU then put the cooler back on?

I assume i should see a diffrence in temps. I hope.

2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you certainly should. You will see a couple of degrees lower. Remember though, you only need like a "half rice" size blob. It would be even better if you used MX-2. since it's non-conductive.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
    Polarman says thanks.
  3. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Will check out MX-2, I'm favoring the AS5 because that what i have on hand atm. I usually spread it with a razor blade to have an even paper thin coat.

4. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I highly doubt you would want to do that since you would be applying it right to the die rather than a heat spreader (course if you have done it before, don't let me stop you) but I don't think scratching the die would be good.

5. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    Whatevers Clever polarbear. I usually AS5 myself. I cant really speak for MX2, but as5 has never let me down. Weather it was on my CPU or GPU.

6. Dixxhead

Dixxhead New Member

Thanks Received:
    Question:

On the official AS site they always suggest NOT to spread the paste on your own, but rather have the heatsink do the work for you? What about that? I can see the logic; even with a perfectly cleaned credit-card it seems to me that I'm not able to get it 100% conform (ie. some very fine lines still there). Wouldn't it be better to have the heatsink just "spread" it the way it needs to be spread, by applying and in case twisting it a little bit?

7. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Applying directly to the die works fine. Don't use the "blob in the middle" trick for dies without heat spreaders.

8. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    You got it! Thats a great way to do it. Just after your spread it a bit, pop it back off to make sure there is no overflow running down the sides.

9. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm curious about the temp difference before and after AS5 with same cooler. I'll report when it's done (maybe during weekend)

10. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You are correct. Never spread the paste yourself. Also, be careful with as5 as it is conductive.

11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Wrap a plastic bag tightly around the tip of your finger, put some MX-2 on the bag (with your finger in it) and apply a thin even coat on the GPU. I've been doing it that way for years, always get great temps, and have never burnt out a card.

12. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Results in air bubbles. Its been shown thar letting the heatsink spread the thermal paste is the best method.

13. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was trying to find my tube of AS5 (found it!) and at the same time, i came across a small bottle of Zalman ZM-STG1 still un opened from when i had my X800XT + VF900. This one has a brush thingy applicator.

I just read ZM-STG1 review here:

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/zalmanthermalgrease/

It was a tie with AS5.

14. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    dont forget to clean it off with isopropyl alcohol! and put a little blob in the middle and let the heatsink squash it, or use like a credit card or similair to spread it evenly.

15. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use a cleaning solution for electronics from 3M that has acetone in it. Believe me, this stuff CLEANS in one shot!

16. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    PCConcept has OCZ Ultra 5+ in stock for $10 if you want another paste to throw into the mix and Microbytes also stock some other stuff too

17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Never had the problem, done it to countless cards. Plus, I've noticed putting even the proper sized drop and letting the heatsink spread the tim on a bare gpu does cause some of it to overflow. Not really a big deal I guess, just sharing my opinion on how it's worked best for me for a long time.

18. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm a razor blade guy myself. Thin even coat, done. Plus that way I know I applied enough, it's covering the entire surface of the IHS/Core, and I don't have any overflow!

I've been doing it that way for 10 years now, never scratched a thing, just take your time.

Learned that you almost *have* to do it that way for ceramique, as you need the thinnest coat possible for it to work properly!

Heck, I have a full tube of MX2, still in the original package. Haven't opened it yet, still polishing off some tubes of AS5 and ASCeramique.