1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock 970 Extreme4 problems *I think*

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by HossHuge, Mar 6, 2012.

1. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Hey people,

About a month ago I bought an ASRock 970 Extreme4 and swapped it without reinstalling the O/S. When I started the computer I immediately got a "NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart" message. So I checked to make sure in the bios that my HDD's were showing and that they were in the right priorities. Then after a few tries it finally booted. So yaa! I was happy.

Then I noticed that sometimes when I started my computer it would turn on but nothing would happen so I would have to push the power button on and off a few times and then it would boot. Also, sometimes when I restarted the computer it wouldn't restart. Again, it would turn on but then nothing. So again I would have to push the power button a few times and it would boot.

This would happen when running stock and O/Ced. Once the computer was running it was fine. No crashes whatsoever. I figured it was just because I hadn't reinstalled my O/S.

So a few days ago I got around to doing that and the problem still persists. Is it the mobo? Or could it be something else?

[​IMG]
  2. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like you got some file corruption, maybe.
    Hopefully your drives are healthy.

For a start... try this post and knowledge base article to see if they may help.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows
    Ntdlr is Missing Press any key to restart

If, you replaced the MB with one of a different chipset/design... You, possibly, may be better off re-installing your OS and Apps, as some of the required files for that setup may not be updated/installed properly or at all.
    HossHuge says thanks.
  3. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I guess I didn't make it clear enough from my op.

I just reinstalled my OS and sometimes it still won't boot. I mean the computer turns on but it won't even get to the bios screen. So I have to turn it on and off a few times for it to start.
  4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    what about the bios, could be from that so whatever setting that you made it aint saved
    HossHuge says thanks.
  5. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    Latest bios?
    HossHuge says thanks.
  6. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Is your boot drive in the lowest possible SATA channel (0 or 1)? I had similar problems on my 790GX board until I realized I had plugged the SATA drive into the last channel instead of the 1st.... read the port order backwards when I checked it in the manual:rolleyes:
    HossHuge says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    It happens even at default settings.

Ya, I keep checking for the latest bios updates but so far it hasn't helped

I am using 1,2 and 3 channels. I am afriad to change in case I get the "NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart" message again.
  8. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    first 3 sata ports? so 0 1 and 2 is that two hard discs and one optical drive?
    if you do not have raid setup and two harddiscs you must ensure that the bios is set to boot from the disc that contains the os otherwise you will get a "file missing" error it is possible every time you flash/stock your bios, change the sata plugs you are reseting/changing the boot priority/device and causing the system not to start, otherwise if you are oc`d check your RAM because 9 times outa 10...
  9. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I thought the problem had gone away but it happened again today. I sent them an e-mail about it a few days ago. They still haven't replied....:ohwell: