1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock X79 Extreme11 Intel LGA 2011

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by cadaveca, Jul 30, 2012.

1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I'd love to toss up some numbers. Got $850 for drives and shipping to my door?

Like really, send me some drives, or money to buy new SATA 6 Gb/s SSDs, and I'd be glad to add RAID testing to all my reviews.

I have tried to get some supporting hardware for testing stuff like this, and slowly, I get stuff added. Right now I'm a bit more ocncenred with adding Thunderbolt though. A simple dock is a couple hundred bucks, even, but I'll probably buy one.

2. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    Thanks again Dave. Next time I win I'm going to fix that cave and get you a good test bench.:)

cadaveca says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Good job Dave, as always. Your board reviews are always highly respected, and as such I've been watching closely your x79 boards to help determine my upgrade path. But regardless, thanks for the super job, well done. Yeah, it's out d my price range, but it's an awesome board!!!

cadaveca says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    600 bones?! Thats a spicy meat ball!

5. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand this product well: the features are like those of workstation boards but then you have all that bling and non-ECC RAM... :confused:

cadaveca says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Breit

Breit

Thanks Received:
    There is a review about this board on AnandTech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6228/...iew-pcie-30-x16x16x16x16-and-lsi-8way-sassata

It says the LSI controller DOES NOT SUPPORT RAID-5/RAID-6, only 0, 1 and 10, which is a shame to be honest. Performance is excellent though, but I doubt is usefulness...

They also said that this board supports some XEON CPUs and along with these CPUs, the board supports ECC memory.

cadaveca says thanks.
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That's incredibly lame, because the X79 ERST does at least support RAID-5. :wtf: :banghead: That's kind of disappointing to be honest, not to say that it doesn't look like a beautiful motherboard. Just when I thought my 16 + 2 + 2 VRMs were a lot. :p

8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:

Memory controller is in the CPU, so memory support is CPU-dependant.

9. m&m's

m&m's

Thanks Received:
    Nice review, but I'm wondering if the Ready Boost option in AXTU really do something, have you tried it? Is it enabled by default? Does giving 1 or 2GB change something? What I want to know is if it is interesting to have like 16GB of ram and set 8GB on Ready Boost to accelerate an hard drive, but I doubt it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Should work fine, but I'm not sure about 8 GB.

If not, you can always make a ramdisk with AXTU, too.

11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how the SSD would fare on the LSI controller by itself. If the LSI controller is using PCI-E 3.0, that means it's bypassing DMI and the X79 chipset, right? I would love to see how they compare.

12. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:

woops :eek: yeah, you're right :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. m&m's

m&m's

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I know about Ramdisk, I just wanted to know if the ready boost thing really accelerate an hard drive or if it's a marketing thing.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    It just creates a ramdisk for the pagefile...so...how often do the apps you use use the pagefile? FOr some users, this will be useful, especially considering ram amounts that are commonly purchased. For others, say a gamer with 16 GB or greater kit, it would be better to create ramdisk and isntall your favorite game to it, I think. This is a $600 board, and I expect users to use 32 GB-64 GB with it.

15. m&m's

m&m's

Thanks Received:
    What is the point of creating a ramdisk for the pagefile, I mean pagefile.sys is used when there is not enough ram, so why removing RAM for pagefile? Isn't it a contradiction?

The Ramdisk solution is very interesting, but what does it do that ImDisk doesn't (witch is free)?

Sorry if I'm forgetting something about pagefile that makes the contradiction...

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Not everyone will use large amounts of ram, and the ReadyBoost and ramdisk functionality are what ASRock includes with ALL of their motherboards.

I understand ImDisk is free, but so is the ramdrive software ASRock provides...it's actually part of AXTU, even. ASRock offers several different ways to utilize a Ramdisk, as all implementations are not for all users.

For me, ramdisk is useful. with 32 GB installed, windows idles with 4 GB used, leaving me with 28 GB. I leave 8 GB for apps I might have open, and the remaining 20 GB can be used as a ramdisk, which I might install a game to, or set up as swap file for Photoshop.

So no, It is not jsut marketing. Everything that forms the base of ASRock's "555" Acceleration truly does offer real-world performance benefits, and for that reason alone I give ASRock a bit of credit when it comes to the software they provide.

Many other board makers include software tools that are just as useless. You won't find those softwares in my reviews.

17. m&m's

m&m's

Thanks Received:
    I think I expressed myself the wrong way, I'll try to explain my question the best I can. (Sorry, English is not my first language).

I personally also like the software that ASRock provides, the XFAST USB is effective, the XFast Lan is also interesting for people with a lower internet connection grade and the XFast Ram is also a very good feature (since LGA2011 with their 8 slots).

[​IMG]

In this picture, I see that there is a Ready Boost option, that's after that I've seen this that these questions came through my mind, does the Ready Boost option is really effective? If yes, does setting like 1GB over 230MB could change something?

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so what I mean to say is that yes, you may see some gains, but whether you do or not depends on how you use your PC.

For example, if you ask 99.9% of people, they will say PCIe 3.0 doesn't matter. To me, it does. Yet, I'm stuffing three and four cards into my system, when those 99.9% run one card.

So, give it a try, and report back...you may benefit, but you may not.

m&m's says thanks.
  19. DocMIPS Mips Computer Rep

Thanks Received:
    good news for all who cried for a watercooling solution for this amazing board, mips has designed a mosfetblock and a quadchipblock for sb, plx-chips and the lsi raid controller. look at our hp for more details or send pm or mail, thnx.

20. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Dave is the best reviewer out there!

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    cadaveca and Delta6326 say thanks.
  22. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
  23. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    One is from Mips Germany (the uppermost pic) and the other one is from Nateman Doo, you can see his works on OCN.

24. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    Double correct. Nateman is slowly finishing his product, and MIPS will be releasing their block US side in the next 2 weeks.

25. Hits9Nine

Hits9Nine New Member

Thanks Received:
    that is one nice motherboard, makes my bigbang xpower2 look like a toy