• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 Ti fan connector

WillYo

Hi,
I'm about to swap my Strix cooler for Raijintek Morpheus II Core Edition and faced an issue. PCB has 6-pin fan connector and I have VGA 4-pin PWM adapter like this: https://gelidsolutions.com/thermal-s...m-fan-adaptor/which swaps basic PWM connector to 4-pin VGA fan connector. It's obvious that it wont fit but can anyone tell me what are the pins on the PCB so I can make my own cable? Where to connect black, red, yellow and blue in the 6-pin connector on PCB?
Stock fan cable has red, two green, yellow, blue and black wires. All yellows go to same pin just like blue and black ones. Red and green ones goes to separate pins.

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
That card has two normal 4 pin PWM headers for letting your gpu control some system fans. I’d think you could just use those.

Dunno how the card would react to having nothing connected to the smaller 6 and 4 pin connectors.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Dunno how the card would react to having nothing connected to the smaller 6 and 4 pin connectors.

One would have to assume, the same way it would with a water block on it, normal.

I say install the cooler, plug the fan/s into the 4-pin PWM fan connectors, boot PC and see if fans spin. That cooler is beefy enough to take the heat load of the GPU at idle without killing anything while you check to see if it working properly. Also, no reason you cant use extra motherboard fan headers to power said fan/s, although some near it may not be controllable.

Last edited:
It looks like the 6-pin connector is for(what we call in automotive terms) a wiring harness. Which in turn connects to two 4-pin fans, and one 5-pin fan. Or, rather, that it has two 4-pin fan connectors, and one 5-pin fan connector. I don't quite get why one of the fans is connected with the 5-pin connector. Since it looks like all three fans are 4-wire 12V fans(same part numbers even). And the fan that connects to the harness with the 5-pin connector isn't wired to the 5th pin(it doesn't look like there's even a pin in the 5th hole).

See here:
https://www.dhgate.com/product/original-everflow-t129215su-graphics-replacement/409699493.html?f=bm|GMC|pla|371008348|22204873708|409699493|aud-41874632308:pla-108030350908|019024005|US|szhycase|c|2|&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=GMC&utm_campaign=szhycase&utm_term=409699493&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh9njBRCYARIsALJhQkGuK1uLb8v_d0EI99Cpt6hgl_HkW8N9HGRP6zDBjwBkzUjyXFDAo14aAmJAEALw_wcB

And here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooling-Fa...292955567959?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Anyway...the harness has the male connectors. Which means you can't connect to it with that adapter you have. It should be pretty easy to figure out the wiring arrangement of the harness to be able to make it work with any two 12V fans though, if you have the fans and the harness to disassemble and look at(or possibly just from the pics you can find). You'd just have to do some modification to make it work with the common case fans you'd be using with a Morpheus II. Or make your own harness, with the knowledge of the wiring arrangement having been aquired.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Just as a suggestion. If you can refund the Raijintek, i would send it back and buy a Accelero Xtreme IV. Granted, it doesnt look as good as the Raijintek. but it cools a 1080Ti really well. you can still use your frontplate that cools the VRMs and memory. the backplate might also work.

The Asus Strix cooler is supposed to be pretty good though. You could even just take the fans off it and zip tie your own fans on there because going from the stock strix cooler to the Raijintek isnt really a huge jump. they are almost the same product.

I suggested the Accelero, because the fans have a connector that fits the 1080Ti ones. (and i also use the accelero on my 1080ti with good results)

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I still don't see why all the fuss. Stick the fans into the 4-pin fan headers and boot the thing. Although, OP has not been back since he made the initial post.

Meh. Whatever works. It's good to know what all your options are anyway. In case one way, or another, doesn't work like you want it to.

"More than one way to skin a cat"...

WillYo

Thanks a bunch guys! So, I have tested the 4-pin PWM connectors on GPU that the fans are working. Tested them with GPU Tweak but the problem is that I don't wan't any more software to control fans and temps than there already is. I use iCue with Commander Pro to control case/AIO fans and MSI Afterburner for GPU. If things won't start working from the 6-pin connector then I'm about to use Commander Pro for GPU fans also.

I managed to find a 6-pin connector that fits to the connector on GPU and have already tested to connect the wires to a 6-pin VGA connector just like on the original wire harness excluding two green ones (see the picture) but the fans are not spinning at all. I was thinking that will the card need all of those greens and red to be connected to work? As you can see from the picture, greens goes to the first two fans and the red goes to third one and turns to green too at the last connector. Are those the RPM signals? Can I Split the red from my new fans and connect them to the free pins on the connector?

jeniod

Searching the internet lead me to this post, and it seems like it wasn't resolved.

A PWM fan adapter works perfectly, like the one linked.
It just needs to be connected to the right (->) side of the connector.
The right side is where the black, yellow, green, and blue wires on the original cable are connected.

I used a Y-cable to connect two fans (and hope they aren't drawing too much power).

tiger79

Searching the internet lead me to this post, and it seems like it wasn't resolved.

A PWM fan adapter works perfectly, like the one linked.
It just needs to be connected to the right (->) side of the connector.
The right side is where the black, yellow, green, and blue wires on the original cable are connected.

I used a Y-cable to connect two fans (and hope they aren't drawing too much power).

Might I ask which PWM adapter you are referring to ? I cannot see a specific link !
I'd also like to find an adapter to be able to connect the 6 pin harness to the external 4 pin connectors on the card. My fans still work but for some reason (maybe the PWM circuit is dead) they wont work on the original 6 pin connector. I tested the external 4 pin connectors with a case fan and thos work fine.
So now I'd like to connect the original fans (6-pin) to the external (4-pin) connector.
Any help is really appreciated !

coalfield

Might I ask which PWM adapter you are referring to ? I cannot see a specific link !
I'd also like to find an adapter to be able to connect the 6 pin harness to the external 4 pin connectors on the card. My fans still work but for some reason (maybe the PWM circuit is dead) they wont work on the original 6 pin connector. I tested the external 4 pin connectors with a case fan and thos work fine.
So now I'd like to connect the original fans (6-pin) to the external (4-pin) connector.
Any help is really appreciated !

This is the adapter you need:
6 pin to Dual 4 pin PWM FAN Adapter for Asus Strix Ti Deshroud Mod Connector | eBay