1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Given Massive Overclock, Hits 4851MHz

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Feb 20, 2008.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    It seemed that no matter what, nobody could get their A64 up past 4.2GHz. When people's chips didn't simply crap out, they got cold bugs. However, the Black Edition cards really changed things, and someone finally got lucky. An overclocker named Kris recently submitted the valid result of 4851MHz from their A64 5000+. Kris used an Abit AN-M2HD motherboard, based on the NVIDIA GeForce 7050 chipset. Nordic Hardware is currently working with CPU-Z to completely validate this claim. After all, this is a monumental achievement, considering the last A64 record was 4.26GHz.

[​IMG]

Source: Nordic Hardware

2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Money says it is fake.

3. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I just came.lol JK If this is real if i was the guy that did this i would be letting everyone know.Hell wouldn't you be bragging if you broke the record?

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Nemesis881 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think its true, those black edition processors are beastly!!

5. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I want to know the voltage. And how much it will take to have him come OC my BE :toast:

6. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    AMD better call that guy up... and give him a Phenom! >>> "9600 BE @ 4GHZ !"

7. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn... That's fast, lol. IBMs new POWER chips are supposed to come out @ 4-5GHz... Too bad their not x86-x64 chips, lol.

8. Duxx Guest

Very impressive if it holds true.

9. brian.ca New Member

Thanks Received:
    A month or so ago someone over at the VR zone posted something about record high OCs for the same chip. I can't remember if that was the named attached to the highest clock at that point but I do remember seeing someone named Kris taking a few slots in the top ten list. So if it's fake the guy at least took the time to create more fake posts leading up to the grand fake finale.

Ultimately I wouldn't be surprised if it's real.. going to the trouble of faking a bunch of clocks seems kinda elaborate vs. someone just pushing a chip further bit by bit.

10. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    Why on EARTH is this front page material when theres no evidence its genuine????

Edit: now give us a superpi time, and other benchies to show this isnt either just a glitch, or a one-off wonder that cant hold stable for more than 5 seconds

Edit Edit: Also, what cooling used would be nice, since LN2 runs dont really impress me tbh, nice and high they can be, but you cant use it constantly and is therefore effectivly a one-off (more or less)

But if we get benchies showing it actually possesses some measure of stability at those speeds id be impressed ;) especially with integrated mem controller and decent ram, super pi scores would be good

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  11. breakfromyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you mean 3 GHz? :p

I really doubt that this is real. CPU-Z has been caught letting bugged validations get through a good number of times.

12. brian.ca New Member

Thanks Received:
    heh, looks like I forgot to unsubscribe to this thread before posting...but,

From the link if you follow it, "This is quite an achievement and we decided to discuss the matter with CPU-ID before posting and according to them, the result seems genuine,"

Also, I don't think it's about stability or practicality (iw: the purpose of OCing to those points is just for record values - like those cars that need parachutes to slow down and often flip nose up and shatter into a 100pieces. Expecting that of record OCs is like asking about the MPG on those cars). I can't really speak toward the stability side but going by that list I mentioned above that also listed cooling methods along with high verified clock it's highly unlikely to be air or water cooled. A lot of the top spots on that list had specialty cooling like liquid nitrogen.

13. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    well if its genuine thats pretty cool, (or not hehe)

maybe a reason for AMD not to have launched the phenom ^^

hope they bring out something that clocks so well

14. mandis New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand why people are so surprised. Athlon64s always overclocked well, except perhaps the very early single core editions. (please correct me if i'm wrong on that one).

I recently managed to jump mine up to 4950Mhz (330x15) but i couldn't get it to boot into windows properly and it seemed pretty unstable probably due to my system's limited cooling. I'm not suggesting that someone could actually maintain their Athlon at these speeds for a long period of time but then again i've never heard of an intel setup which could do that either.

15. springs113

Thanks Received:
    Well to back your claim to a degree athlons always overclocked high...as towards your single core chirp... thats kinda off in my opinion as the athlon venice cores were monster overclockers and i would know because i overclocked my 3000 from 1.8 to 2.7 stable...

16. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    why i the cpu id says fsb and not ht link???

17. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    fake turns out it was a PLL exploit

here is the now rejected cpuz
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=309749

and i posted this awhile ago!

18. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I still think its genuinie :)

19. mandis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah yes! The Venice! I forgot about that one! A friend had the 3200+ and reached 2.65 on air without any glitches and kept it at that for over 2 years! :toast:

20. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    If that is indeed true, then I don't know why AMD doesn't sell more BE procs.

21. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    read my post ;) its fake