• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI GPU Scaling..Help!

Drose81

So I recently had problems with my second monitor (LG HDTV) not formatting correctly. I don't know what I did, but for some reason the edges were being cut off when I plugged it back in after having run on the single monitor for a few days. But this isn't the main problem I'm having... in an attempt to fix this issue I decided to try to enable gpu scaling, thinking that I could just turn it off if it didn't do what I wanted...boy was I wrong on that one.
First both monitors went to blank screens, so I rebooted...still blank screens. So I disconnected the second monitor (the one that I had enabled gpu scaling on) and rebooted and it worked fine, booted up to windows desktop on the single monitor and ran normally. But now any time I try to plug the second monitor back in, it blanks out both my screens again. As far as I can tell, the options for the second monitor only become available in the catalyst control center once it is plugged in, and plugging it in makes it impossible to do anything on either monitor :banghead: I found some others who had similar issues and couldn't even get it to go away by reinstalling video drivers... So before I go down that road and take my chances, can anybody think of an easier solution?

Edit: I also tried resetting all catalyst control center options to default while running on the single monitor, but this had no effect on the problem.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
i have had this issue ,and its occoured now and again whilst enableing or disabling xfire or unplugging a monitor ,I dont know a fix per say as ,AFAIK it isnt broke, just going to a setting, ie monitor and refresh rate etc, neither monitor can show or on a different port then the ones your using , but anyway a workaround i found was to set it up on the one monitor with defaults ,

Save that as a named profile, includeing all options
And set a quick ,jump to it, key combo for that new 1 monitior default profile

test it then crack on with plugging what you want in ,the screens go black, hit your key combo then re detect displays and you should be off,:)

also welcome dude or dudette ,fill in your system specs in your user profile its then easier to assist you as people know what your working with.:)