• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Radeon 3850 won't play Blu-ray

szlats

I recently bought a Dell XPS 420 Q6600 running Vista home premium 32 bit, 3 GB RAM. It came with a nVidia 8800GT video card which I replaced with a Visiontek ATI Radeon HD 3850. I'm using the machine as a home theater PC and I'm not much interested in gaming and the ATI card has better video decoding. I removed the nVidia drivers, swapped cards and then installed the ATI card. I then updated all the drivers for the card, got the most recent PowerDVD 7 update. The computer used to play Blu-ray's without difficulty but since I've changed cards PowerDVD 7 hangs when ever I try to play Blu-ray's - it plays DVD's without difficulty. Since receiving the ATI card I have spent about 4 hours on the phone with Dell tech support with their final recommendation to reload windows vista which I did. After doing this and getting all the drivers updated again the card still does not function properly – it won’t play Blu-ray discs and tech support has no further suggestions. I have also spent about an hour on the phone with the ATI tech support people also without benefit. It does not seem to me that this should be such a difficult problem. Any suggestions on where to go with this, I'm thinking that I should just go back to the nVidia card, but I understand that the ATI card is superior for video (I know that the nVidia card is better for gaming).

ShadowFold

System Name The ShadowFold Draconis (Ordering soon)
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX ATi Radeon HD 5850 1gb
Storage Western Digital 640gb
Display(s) Acer 21.5" 5ms Full HD 1920x1080P
Case Antec Nine-Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Creative "Fatal1ty" Headset
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores -❶-❸-❸-❼-
Mine worked fine with blu-ray. Do you have Windows Media Center Edition?

szlats

Thanks Namslas90 but the links you sent were firmware updates for the ATI digital cable tuners. I have the latest drivers from ATI for the 3850 card.

Namslas90

Sry, wrong links. However upon further investigation it seams you may just have a CODEC problem. Try downloading the CCCP Codec pack. Also you may need the AC3Filter package.

Also suggest cleaning all ATI drivers with a driver cleaner, removing the ATI unistaller tool, defraging Hard Drive and reloading the ATI Drivers here. Use option 2 and load the Avivo package below it also.

:toast:

szlats

Thanks for the suggestions, I did all of the above although when I ran the install programs for catalyst I got an error message saying the program may not have installed correctly. I was given the option to install it using the "correct settings" which I took and then it seemed to install OK. Previously I was getting 1-2 seconds of audio from the blu-ray disc and no video, now I'm geting about 4 seconds of audio and still no video.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
wheres the 8800 now? seems alittle obvious but you should probabaly just take out the 3850, put the 8800 back in and reload vista and all the dell default drivers. if it worked before I see no reason to not use it. also, it is a codec problem you're experiencing, you need an mpeg 4 decoder. and I'm guessing something that came with the dell that had the decoder got uninstalled in the card swap.

p.s. never get a dell. lol

Processor c2d e8400@ 3.8ghz 24/7
Motherboard Abit IP-35e 80$ lol
Cooling zalman cnps9700 led
Memory 2 x 2 gig patriot viper
Video Card(s) evga Gtx 285 oc
Storage 2 x 300gig sata seagate 7200.10 in raid 0/ 1.5TB for backup
Display(s) acer 24" TFT LCD AL2416WBSD
Case Antec 902
Audio Device(s) XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro series
Power Supply ocz gamextreme 700w
Software windows 7 ultimate

scatrdfew

still broke?

Did you fix this yet? I had a similar problem with playing BD ISOs. PowerDVD 8 Ultimate would prompt me to update, I would update, then try to play an ISO, get prompted to update again, I would update, try again to play ISO, and get a prompt to update AGAIN and it would go in this cycle never actually starting to play. Very frustrating! My solution was to: 1. reinstall vista, 2. install powerdvd 8 (do not patch when prompted), 3. install ATI drivers, 4. install AnyDVDHD, 5. install Daemon Tools Lite (latest version) to mount ISO, Now I can play Blu Ray ISOs without error and was able to patch PowerDVD. It seems that, for whatever reason, the order the apps/drivers were installed made the difference because I had previously uninstalled and reinstalled all of those apps/drivers individually and continued to have the same undesirable results. I'd call it all a big waste of time if Blu Ray flicks didn't look so darn awesome!

Good luck fixing this!