1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB GDDR5

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    5850 will be a scare, but also the 5870 will be a scare soon enough... The 285 isn't on launch pricing level anymore, the 5870 is and will thus drop in price. I suspect the pricing plans of ATi to be competitive in the very near future.
  2. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    I personally have a 4890 and seeing the benchy's here and on a few other sites im not that overly impressed with the performance increase that the hype of the release was dictating.
    BUT i am really impressed with the new features that the card brings and it is beating the 285 in most benchys and pricing, dx11 and a feature rich card is quite impressive overall. Tbh i write off the 295 as it is a dual core GPU card so i dont take this into my view.

I think alot of people got eaten up by the hype (and me a little) that it would be a shark in a sea on minnows, I was very sceptical about the performance increase's closer to the release date that the 5800 series would bring, we have all seen the hype surrounding many card releases in the past and been disappointed.

I have a 4890 so i wont be rushing out to get a 5870 but i am impressed with the 5800 feature rich series.

Also i agree with Agility that more and more people are looking to Performance vs Price as the market moves faster and faster due to Nvidia and Ati competing.

Weather you are an ATI owner or and Nvidia owner, we all should be glad that this brings competition to the market, which in turn means price drops and more demand for performance from cards.

I personally bought a ******* card for £350 and within months it was outdated by a card that was cheeper and better performance, so these days i take bang for buck and performance values very seriously.

I dont have £450 - £500 (and tbh would never spend that on one card) but i could maybe push £300 for a very competitive feature rich high performance card. That's how i see it any ways. Im sure if we had all the money in the world we would have 2 nvidia 295's in SLI, but we all don't!

I do own a ATI card now but i had an Nvidia card before that, im no fan boy i just go with whats good for money/performance at the time of my upgrade. Although i always spend a big amount of money to some people so allways go highend.

For me a new system builder should detonately consider this as an option and i doubt they would be disappointed.

That's my ten cent's anyways

Thanks Reefer
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    WarEagleAU says thanks.
  3. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Fastest single gpu card. Cannot wait to see how the GT300 compares and if they finally moved from GDDR3. I was really hoping ATI would go with Shader clocks on this version. Very impressed and lived up to everything I expected and more. Crossfire its the shit, and alone its the shit. Im loving it.

One more thing as Pinchy and a couple others said, driver issues were happening before the launch and they did use an older set. I expect better performance in the next few months. Same thing goes with Nvidia cards. Their performance gets better with the release of newer drivers.
    Reefer86 and morphy say thanks.
  4. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
  5. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  6. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  7. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    At least those 10 diggs are from the heart.
    Nick89, ArmoredCavalry and johnnyfiive say thanks.
  8. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    There is always a long term winner... long term is not forever though. Long term is defined as more than average, short term as less than average. Therefore, since ATI will rule for less than average time, then it is a short term winner.
  9. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I dig for GTA4........

much love long time.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  10. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

I could not resist. (If you saw this picture you must push the Digg button on the first page!)
    Cuzza says thanks.
  11. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dugg. :toast:

Anyway, I think that the digg it icon placement has a lot to do too. I didn't even know it was there...
  12. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    I'll go register on digg specifically to become the first of your legion of trainees.

Btw, excellent work getting 3 reviews done for today. Thanks.
  13. troyrae360

troyrae360 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i've regersterd and dugg :)
  14. scope54

scope54

Thanks Received:
  15. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm curious, as this kinda just dawned on me . . .

For the STALKER: Clear Sky benchmarks - are those performed in DX9 or DX10(.1) render?

Y'know, if it's not too much of an issue, I'd recommend benching new hardware in such games in both DX renders, as there's usually a major performance difference between the two. CS is notorious for this performance hit, as well as Crysis.

Just a suggestion I'd throw out.

Otherwise, another excellent review, w1zz! I'm quite shocked by these new beasts from ATI's den, and defi looking forward to the reviews of the 70x2s! :toast:
  16. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    RVxxx methinks?

In any case dude kickass review.

Price performance is skewed but they will try and sell as many of these cards for as much as possible before Nvidia have a chance to fight back.

and good on them!
  17. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dang, I have to say I am pretty impressed by the 5850 benchmarks. Especially since it is selling for $260-$280.

Also, after looking at the size comparison (very helpful ty W1zzard), I know the 5870 will not be fitting in my case.

So, as soon as newegg gets some Sapphire 5850's in stock, I think I know what I will be buying. :D (maybe)
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  18. DeeJay New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know if the cooler on this card has a detachable core? My 4780 has a cooler which allows the copper with the heatpipes to be removed. I installed a watercooler instead. I am just using the metal frame of the cooler to passively cool the memory and some other parts. I want to do the same with this one.
  19. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I did the exact same on my 4870, worked a treat, no idea bout this card tho.
  20. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    I did that with my 4850, but that required dremeling :D
  21. Milky

Milky New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am very impressed particularly by power consumption which is important for me, but @ that price i think i might just get another 4870 instead....
  22. DeeJay New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 4870 and 4850 are based off the same design as the 4780. But since the 5870 is a completely new design I am afraid I have to dig through all the reviews hoping that one of them says something about this.
  23. Makaveli

Thanks Received:
    I don't agree with everyone complaining about the performance. This card is using very early drivers. And I think it 3-4 months with driver updates it will beat the 4870X2 on a regular and will either close the gap or tie the 295 in the benchmarks it lost and continue to beat it on the ones it was already winning.

My only concern with this card is its length and what will happen with aftermarket coolers. Overall I think its a great product and the price is good considering. Those of you expecting it to be released at a 250-300 price point were seriously mistaken, and I think its current price is fine. If I had to choose between this card and the 4870x2 I will take a single card over Xfire or SLI anyday!!!
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  24. DeeJay New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. It saves a PCI-e slot an a lot of power.
  25. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    This is hardly an AMD fault. It's propertiary technology and as such we cannot blame AMD for not supporting it. It would be like blaming NVIDIA back then for not supporting 3dfx Glide. They just can't because NVIDIA doesn't want them to support it. They want it to be exclusive to GeForce cards.