1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI to NVIDIA switch, comparable cards ?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by The_Gunslinger, Dec 9, 2007.

1. The_Gunslinger

The_Gunslinger New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok, i'm about to do a rebuild/overhaul on my pc, and trying not to spend too much more over what i already have as most of it is adequate for what i need, i already have a Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 motherboard and FX-60 CPU for the rebuild (old now i know! but a considerable improvement over my current setup) but, i'm seriously considering switching out the nforce3 equipped AGP motherboard for an nforce4 version (probably a Gigabyte version too as i like their features) that will still allow me to use my FX-60 CPU, RAM (as i have 4gb of CAS2 patriot DDR400) this plan has a couple of other benefits, including a switch to PCIe based GPU and SATA2 (which my drives are capable of) however it would mean sacrificing my x1950 Pro AGP card, which i have been more than happy with!

so basically, i have the option to affectively rebuild with everything i have now or take the opportunity to make it slightly newer with a cheap motherboard replacement, but would then have to replace the GPU.

one of the reasons i am considering this is so i can water cool the CPU and GPU easier (AGP cards are hard to find the right blocks for)

if i do swap to PCIe i was considering one of these cards
    http://www.gainward.net/product/product_detail.php?products_id=140

and would be interested in your thoughts on how it compares to this card (my current one)
    http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=296

also, i read somewhere (cant remember where) that the GT cards where prefered over the GTS cards, due to the shaders working better and in HD playback they loaded the CPU less, anyone know anything about this ?

I am not a games player, but do watch a number of HD movies etc, and the card will be hooked up to a Dell 2707 running 1920x1200 (which the x1950 seems to be coping with ok)

TIA

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  2. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    try to find a 2600 or a 2400 ati card with the uvd it consume less processor resources with greater image quality they have agp and pcie editions

3. The_Gunslinger

Thanks Received:
    i have looked at the 2600 AGP version, and to be honest, the x1950 pro is rated better in many cases.... not sure what you mean when you say "uvd" though

if i use the 939 motherboard i have with AGP socket, then i'll keep the x1950 Pro, if i switch to the nforce4 version with PCIe then i will need to buy a new card, as i have no PCIe cards at all, so will be looking for something comparable to what i have, but would also keep an eye on the cpu utilisation during my selection, but the ability to run well at the high resolution of my monitor is important

one thing i forgot to say before, directx 10 is not something i am interested in, 1. i dont play games and 2. i wont be getting vista anytime soon !!

4. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    i thought no games m8 !!

http://ati.amd.com/technology/avivo/features.html about uvd plus 2xxx series uses a hdmi adaptor with bult-in sound card which none nvidia does (though not so sure)

The_Gunslinger says thanks.
  5. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    dude get the Radeon 3850 with heatpipe from sapphire, it dosnt make noise and completly blows out all geforce 8600, 2600 cards, and it dosnt cost much more than 2600/8600 cards

6. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    those aren't come in agp ....yet

7. The_Gunslinger

Thanks Received:
    cheers, i had a read through that, and then checked the specs on the card i have now ... it is supposed to have that feature :) ... but as you said, not i'm not sure about nvidia having a similar feature, but it is something that i would consider important

the 3850 is planned in AGP, however, like i said, cost is a factor, and as that x1950 cost me £150 and still seems ok to me, if i stay with the AGP based motherboard, i wont change it.

other benefits that i need to take into account, if i switch to the nforce4 based motherboard, keeping my current equipment (that i dont want to swap!)

1. 4GB Patriot CAS2 RAM and FX-60 cpu that will be compatible
    2. My SATA drives are all enterprise editions and capable of SATAII which would be available if i swapped motherboards to the nforce4 version
    3. the GA-K8NSNXP-939 (nforce3 based) had an over crowding issue on the PCI bus, especially with the Gigabit LAN being tied to the PCI bus
    4. more SATA channels available on nforce4 board and better feature utilisation
    5. easier to get water blocks for PCIe based graphics cards
    6. more USB 2 ports

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  8. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what on earth do u want to water cool a gpu for if u dont play games..

trog

ps.. best to swap the mobo and buy a (cheap) passively cooled ati 2400 which is set up for high definition movies..

9. The_Gunslinger

Thanks Received:
    latent heat with the case, even with the ICEQ cooler on the x1950 it still runs warm, as does the CPU.

air flow through the case is not too bad (or i dont think it is) but due to the environment it is in being fairly harsh, water cooling the cpu will reduce the required airflow through the case, and lower the temps on it. Dust inhalation is a major issue, and if i water cool the cpu to lower the temps and required airflow then the dust will be less of a problem. In doing this there is a good possibility that the airflow to the GPU will be adversely affected, so i might as well add that to the water loop, and do the 2 together.

EDIT:
    thanks for the "ps." it is something i could also consider, although i have to admit a passively cooled unit would not have been the first thing i would think of.
    But your opinion of switching to the newer (albeit only slightly) motherboard may be the best option, sooner or later i am going to have to do it, whether thats now or later is i guess what i have to decide ... i dont want to be pulling this thing apart every month to upgrade something else !!

10. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the real point is if u dont want to play games u dont need a massively powerful heat generating card in the first place..

i dont know exactly what cpu power u really need but i am gonna guess its not that much.. so the whole lot could be depowered so to speak..

i agree 100% keeping all that crap out of your case (if possible) is worth doing.. running lower power less heat generating bits and bobs seems the best approach to me.. and its silent..

not an option for a gaming or benching PC but for yours it could well be..

trog

11. The_Gunslinger

Thanks Received:
    i see your point, unfortunately, the way the GPU market has gone, if i want good HD playback, then i am tied to a card that is also good for games, and by its nature will generate heat, the size and resolution of the monitor also plays a part in my card selection, to get 720p and 1080i/p files to play, and play smoothly, then i am again pushed into the mid to higher end of the scale. throttling back the cpu at times is an option, while at others it's not, a stepping cpu would be nice but in reality out of my price range.
    I havent mentioned hard drives much, because despite the fact i have 4 internal and a 5th in an internal caddy, 2 are separated in a lower cage (antec p180 case) the others do not get that warm compared to some reports of hot drives i have seen, all the drives are seagates and i seem to have been relatively lucky in my model selection in that respect.

been looking at comparable boards to what i have, but with PCIe, and if one of these comes up cheap enough i may try it
    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1859

12. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  13. The_Gunslinger

Thanks Received:
    noooo... dont throw me any more options LOL

that card looks interesting, i will have a better look through the specs when my eyes are a little less tired.

The motherboard uses DDR2 RAM right ? ... i'd have to change my RAM as well, thats a slippery slop to start on, i'd end up changing more and more, and end up with a completely new build !!

btw, thanks for the help and ur time :)

14. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    I would say something like 8600GT or GTS. Second option would 2600XT. If money is not the problem go with the new 38xx series.

15. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    3850 all the way, they smoke anything under 200 dollars in games and multimedia purposes

16. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:

17. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ahhh never realized that u were not on am2.. mind u with the price ddr is fetching now compared to ddr2 it would fetch enough on ebay to buy some new stuff..

check ebay for pre am2 prices.. on price alone u have to either stay with what u have apart from the grafix card or swop the lot..

ddr is twice the price of ddr2 and a used 4800+ sold a couple of weeks ago for £160.. not a lot less than what i paid for the abit 520 board two gigs of geil ram and a 6000+ cpu.. he he he

UK prices but am2 cpu about £50.. an52 board about £44.. ram about £35.. card £30.. in the US it would all be cheaper..

u will have to move up some time.. now is good time to do it.. he he he he

trog