1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ati warranty

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by intel igent, Jun 8, 2005.

1. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    ive been told by tech support @ ati that removal of the factory heatsink voids warranty. is there any way around this? i want to watercool. thnx

2. FatMaserati New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope. Not unless you used the exact same thermal compound to stick the heatsink back on, and not unless you were VERY good at removing all traces of evidence.

As long as you follow the installation instructions properly, and don't overclock the card to the point of melting it, then you shouldn't have any issues really.

BTW, I used to live pretty close to Toronto, in Kingston. ;) Now I'm back down "south".

3. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    well g'day mate thnx for the reply. ati uses a thermal tape on my cards sink so as long as i put thermal tape back on it ill be ok? i plan on using arctic silver5 on the gpu, and same with a little crazy glue on the corners of the ram. i should be alright? any other suggestions thnx

its better down south than it is up here cheers :D

4. FatMaserati New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know how strict ATI is with checking up on warranty claims, ie. to what extent they check the card when they recieve it. They would probably take off the heatsink and check the thermal tape. If you used the same tape aligned the same way (hey, there might be a particular direction the tape is placed in order to catch people out, I don't know), then you should be fine.

I miss ice hockey and baseball... Maple Leafs and Blue Jays all the way!

5. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Some stores are friendly enough to install a sink, perhaps you can pay one to do it and thereby making the warranty their problem.

6. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    hm my screwed radeon 9500 atlantis was replacet by fort-knox.de
    they send it in and i never had any problems with the new one on both the arctic cooling vga silencer worked.
    i used for the stock hs to send back as5