1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI's R580 chips in production

Discussion in 'News' started by Darksaber, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ATI's new part, the R580 is now in production. The interesting thing about this chip is, that it will only have 16 pipelines. Before you loose all hope in ATI's plans, I should also tell you that it can process much more than 16 pixels and even more than 32. This should be quite interesting as NVIDIA is going to have a 32 pipeline part as counterpart.

Source: TheINQ
  2. Dreamchaser New Member

Thanks Received:
    This will be interesting fight between ATI and nVidia. I thought ATI was going with the 48 piplines in the upcoming R580? and that will give nVidia a shiver down their spines.
    But anyway, no doubt, I believe that ATI will win this fight again (the R520 is already faster than the FX7800GTX in most games!) Since ATI had ample of time to play with their R580, they wouldn't be stupid just to stick with 16 piplines where as nVidia going 32 piplines.
    In this case is very similar to Intel vs. AMD. Intel had many and long piplines therefore suffer in performance. AMD had fewer and shorter piplines ended up a top performer
    I think ATI is trying to make the R580 more efficient in terms of pixel and vertex processing, that is, more work per cycle hence, with the added of hperthreading.
    Now, nVidia's 32 piplines may seem hell of alot but, that does not mean faster! Think about it, why did ATI op for 16 instead of 48 piplines. There must be something or a reason for them to stick with 16
  3. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    First off welcome to Techpowerup.com!

I agree, and cosidering 16 pipe parts should be much simpler to produce than 32 pipes. Its going to be interesting. I am going to upgrade my PC with DDR2 and M2 next year, and I don't know if I will take Crossfire or SLI...but I am going to take that, which gives me more *bang* for my buck.

cheers
    DS
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm interested in this too, as R580 is a socket GPU, like CPU's are. so that means you buy the board one place and the GPU of choice another, effectively meaning pick and mix for GPU speed and ram type/speed. So if Nvidia has a winner, all it takes is a new GPU with more pipes or a higher clock to give Nvidia problems, and not a whole new card design...
  5. Dreamchaser New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey man! are you so about that?
    ATI's R580 is a cpu socket!?
    That's amazing ATI always come up with new designs to improve performance heh
    Correct me if i'm wrong. I read an article somewhere saying ATI is looking into designing their GPU to be faster but less dependent on the memory. And this might to be true if the R580 GPU is a socket like the CPU. Therefore, you don't have to upgrade the board so often........just upgrade the GPU!!!!:roll:
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it was the first news announced about the R580 a few weeks/months ago, that it would be socket based.