1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

avast! 6.0 antivirus released!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by RejZoR, Feb 24, 2011.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    AVAST Software has officially launched their brand new flagship product avast! Antivirus in many flavors.
    The version 6 brings the 6th gear of performance in scan speed and detection, featuring even faster scan engine with many scan optimizations, improved detection methods and brand new and unique features.

What's new?
    - Script Shield
    Now also available in Free Antivirus!

- Auto Sandbox
    Automatic sandboxing of suspicious programs. This makes avast! 6.0 Free the first antivirus to provide virtualization technology to the free users!

- Behavior Shield
    It was available before, but this time also brings fully automated logic for detection of unknown malware through behavioral analysis without any user interaction. For both, free and payable users.

- WebRep browser plugin
    This plugin provides avast! users with a tool for webpage rating. So you can always know what kind of page you're visiting, how other users rate it and what's its content.

- SafeZone
    This brand new and very unique technology only available in avast!. What's so unique about SafeZone is perfectly isolated and secured environment where keyloggers, hijackers and password stealers can't steal your important data. Once you fire up the SafeZone, you'll see a new desktop which already has Chromium installed and secured inside, ready for worry free shopping and banking. If the shop is verified and is using secure HTTPS connection there is almost impossible to steal your sensitive data.

These are the greatest new features but there are plenty of minor and less visible "under the hood" improvements. For more detailed info, visit http://www.avast.com and check them out.
    avast! webpage is experiencing some problems because it's getting hammered by millions of users, but you can also download latest avast! 6.0 from http://download.cnet.com/windows .

2. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Done.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Oh, i forgot to mention that if you're already using avast! 4.8 or 5.1 you can just fire up the Update feature inside the program itself and it will automatically update to the latest version.

Support for older operating systems has been dropped starting with version 5.1 so if you're still running Win98 with avast! 4.8, you can't update to version 6.0.

4. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    That's what I did; on seeing your post I clicked update and restarted and that's it. It added a gadget to the sidebar which I quickly deleted.

5. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I just use MSE... Never had a problem yet.

6. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    I use Avira Antivir and although sometimes I have to update it manually it works well for me. Avast is for the wife's pc.

7. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Using Avira as well. From the looks of it it seems like Avast will have a fairly large footprint on the system - virtualization and et all.

8. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    just updated

large footprint? Not to us power users. ;)

It wouldn't even be noticeable to a fast dually or just about any quad. On Atom rigs it might be noticeable though. :(

9. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Not really. Footprint won't be much bigger than it was with avast! 5.x. Mostly because all the virtualization is on-demand so unless you fire up application inside sandbox yourself or is launched by Auto Sandbox or by using SafeZone, the footprint won't be any different because those features are not running at all. And when you close them, resources are returned to the system.
    SafeZone can be kept inside memory if you close it using green arrow inside SafeZone, but that's again per user decision.

10. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    I liked Avast before this new version , the god damn thing install in windows gadget side bar , although i uninstalled from gadget it still come back every time i load windows...:banghead: :mad:

I think i may go Avira this time around...:ohwell:

11. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    No need for that...

Go to Add Remove Programs, select avast! and then Change. In here you can uncheck the avast! Gadget and it will be removed for good. You can do the same during installation if you select Custom mode.

Goodman, Melvis and DaedalusHelios say thanks.
  12. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Mine never had a gadget. :laugh:

13. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Yea i noticed that to, grrrr how can you stop that from coming up each time?

Edit" Nvm i didn't refresh the page before i posted

14. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    I should have thought of that :rolleyes: lol!

All good now , thanks! man :toast:

15. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, time to update! :D

Edit- Installed, I like the new feature for your browser.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    After my Kaspersky license expired, I have been using Norton's 90 day OEM trial versions

17. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    WTH! were you thinking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvDzarJOJNQ

Uninstall Norton sh*t! & install Avast right this minute...:laugh: ;)

18. Catherine New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just today have downloaded the update. Love Avast.

19. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you all rate TPU in the webrep, we've got a low rep small number of votes at the moment.
    Also, Avast didn't like TeraCopy...

20. Praetorian

Praetorian New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just a question. For a freeware thingy, is this better or worst than MS Security Essentials?

21. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I would say about the same...but now with this new release and the sandbox and stuff then Avast may have a slight lead....I have not tested the new Avast tho and I am using the MS Security Essentials

22. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Better imo. Faster, more protection features, more settings, support and even if you don't want much of the first stuff, it works great even out of the box. It's designed to be as user friendly as possible out of the box. Loads of languages als help a lot.

23. Praetorian

Praetorian New Member

Thanks Received:
    How about system resources and annoying messages?

24. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've tried several antivirus packages and hated most of them .. either they slowed down my system, had tons of notifications or didnt detect the viruses. after switching to avast free i never looked back. i also suggested it to my less computer savvy family and friends because when a virus is detected it will just block it and show a warning without user interaction required.

looking forward to the virtualization feature, i've been dropping suspicious stuff into vmware virtual machines for a long time, but this seems nice, if it runs on-demand

Radical_Edward says thanks.
  25. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I've been in close contact with developers and they said Auto Sandbox and Behavior Shield will become more effective in the comming month or two when they gather enough data about programs and their actions.

Btw, one good thing about avast! is self-defense and password locking. So you can configure avast! to fully automatic actions and updating and lock it down so no one can disable to bypass detection. This way you can be sure that no one will temper with it. Users tend to do many stupid things just to download what they wanted, even if antivirus is screaming about viruses.