1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad luck with temp sensors!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by imperialreign, Nov 12, 2007.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Saw something that made my jaw drop earlier! After completing a run of wPrime 1024M, I had noticed that SpeedFan was reporting a CPU temp of 115C!! :eek: :eek: No way! I opened SpeedFan and it was also reporting that the NSB and SSB fans were at 0 RPM. I quickly opened up PC ProbeII and same report => Time to shut down!!!

Anyhow, as WIN was shutting down, I put my hand on the CPU cooler - the fins were a little warm, but not bad, so I then touched the copper heat pipes . . . a little warm, but not uncomfortable - same with the cooler base. :wtf: If it was that hot, according to Speedfan, I shouldn't be able to get anywhere near touching that buggar! Turned off power, waited for the PSU to "disarm" the mobo - fired it all back up and went into BIOS, where it was reporting a CPU temp of 40C . . .

So, either SpeedFan was interpreting some sensors wrong; I have another temp sensor failing on this board - or, the CPU was really running that temp (which I seriously doubt on a P4). I attached a quick screenie if anyone wanted to see

I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open for anything odd . . . :ohwell:

Attached Files:

2. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you checked if the temperature is set to fahrenheit instead of celsius? Just wondering because 40 degrees C is roughly equal to 105-110 degrees F. Otherwise im stumped too.

3. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    naw, they're set to C cause it's just easier that way

it wouldn't surprise me, though, if a temp sensor is failing - when I originally got my P5W DH board they were faulty . . . had to RMA that board.

4. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    y do ppl still rely on sketchy software that reads crappy ass thermal diodes?

spend 10$ on a thermal probe n get some decent measurements ;)

:toast:

5. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    I don't rely on my desktop sensors/fan speeds they always seem to go bonkers at certain times and I really hate it when they do recently they've been running fine most of the time...my notebook sensors seem to work fine though. I'd agree with the above...something other than the original diodes.

6. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    My motherboard came with a clock which shows a digital read out of temps, voltages, fan speeds @ CPU speed.

CPU speeds are a little bit off by 4Mhz no biggie

But the CPU temps are seriously wrong.
    CPU idling about 31deg at the moment.
    But the cores are at 22-21 deg.

Really what cpu temps should I be looking at?

7. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    I think everything should depend on the environment, ventilation and cooling of the system. If you live in a cold area and have good ventilation you could even do with less cooling and have nice cool temperatures. So to evaluate which you should be looking at you should consider various criteria. Also for problem solving (if it may be the case) try different software to rule out every possible software error.

8. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hear it - been thinking about getting one soon anyway. I usually use an IR temp gun for quick double checking of stuff - but when I've got two programs reading 115C, I don't take the time to dig it out!!

IR temp gun is accurate +/- 3C~5C

9. Nothgrin New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats the only cpu that gets insanely hot other than the old amd's that burnt at 700F

With heatpipe heatsink you cant really judge the heat of it since its designed to reduce heat quickly through conductive heat transfer so its hard to tell.

10. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish the CPU had a core sensor - but, alas . . .

still, though - until I get off my arse and pick up a temp probe, the IR gun is alright - I prefer the feel-by method, though, when in a moments hurry. If I can put my fingers on the base of the cooler and it doesn't even feel warm at all - she should be right around the 40C ballpark.

Either way, I'd still fathom to bet that the CPU would've shut down long before it was actually 115C. The system shoulda hung at those temps.