1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Sound Card or Bad Headphones?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cybie1111, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Recently I have been getting some jittering sounds while I play games, or listening to audio via video and mp3's. When the jittering happenes, I stop the video/audio and replay it and the jittering is gone for now and I need to restart applications to get rid of the jitterness as well. I think its my soundcard because the same thing happens when i switch headphones. I just need to be sure if I need to replace my sound card or not. My sound card is quite old, it is reaching up to 3 years old.
  2. stealthfighter

stealthfighter New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have onboard soubd try that and see if it continues.
  3. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Try using a different pair of headphones... That is a big factor. Also, sound card in another pci slot (not likely) and driver reinstall (very likely if you got a new game or smting.)
  4. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    define jittering

it could be either fluctuation of volume or a strange out of place sound
    by out of place i mean that cool sound your average cd player makes when it hits a scratch in your disk. (almost like disc scratching employed by a dj ;) )
  5. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    PVT, read that ^. Lol, I actually read the whole first post...first time.
  6. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The jittering noises im getting is sound distortions, mainly blurriness and echoes of voice audio Simultaneously. The volume remains constant.

The DS3's have onboard sound and I will install drivers for it tomarrow and see if that remedys the problem.

(offtopic.. also to mention that the ds3 has quadcore support.. Now im starting to love waiting.. lol :> )
  7. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    static in the lines perhaps...can be a bad sound card.
  8. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    creative drivers SUCK, try onbord with latest drivers from the chip maker(most likely realtek, so u can get them from tpu download section.)
  9. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Today I have installed the onboard sound drivers and so far no jittering noises yet so far in playing RA: APB and the Empire at War: Forces of Corruption demo. So far so good. Post will be updated for mp3 results soon.

Edit: MP3 sound has no problems. I assume now that my sound card was in her last leaps. Ill keep using the onboard sound until I get a X-Fi. It will suffice for now.

But is sounds like crap too...
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  10. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Creative is well known for its **** drivers but good sound cards. Get this into your head. lolxx
  11. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    it's the only post i read completely :p
  12. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I know for sure that it wasnt a driver problem but I will keep this in mind. But I never had a problem with creative drivers at all but that is irrelevant.

I was searching around for X-Fi sound cards and i found something interesting. It seems that it is a new type of X-Fi card that I have not seen before. It is called the X-Fi XtremeGamer which seems to be a good card for the price. It has the x-ram which is used by the more expensive versions and I dont care if it is endorsed by anyone. From what I have seen in the specifications, I assume it is a xtrememusic card with extra ram with a persons name on it (which i dont care).
  13. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    consider a diffrent card something not creative, a cmedia based card is best currently(good driver support via cmedia forums)

http://www.auzentech.com/
    they make and sell some of the best audio card you will find, and all of them support dolby and DTS unlike x-fi ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829127001
    50$ range for that card, newer models are more, but FAR more reasonable then x-fi and all you loose is eax3+ really, and most game devs are moving away from eax above 2 because creative lost so much of the market in the last few years to onboard sound and other sound card/sound chip makers.