1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Basic mode when gaming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ericcris10sen, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ericcris10sen

Thanks Received:
    Well when I would play a game my resolution would go into basic or simple or whatever it's called, and normally when I exit the game, it would go back to normal. But now it's still in basic mode. It's not a BIG deal, but I really like the toolbar when I can see the actual web pages, or videos if you skim over the toolbar, instead of it just being a bluish box with a description. Any help?
  2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Win 7 - Start button/Search programs and files/type - Personalization [select this]/Aero Themes [Windows 7] or hover mouse over desktop - press right mouse button - select Personalize from the drop down menu - select Aero Themes [Windows 7]

Edit: if you get a chance place system specs in UserCP, next time you log in

atb (all the best)

Law-II
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
    ericcris10sen says thanks.
  3. ericcris10sen

Thanks Received:
    Sorry! I totally forgot!

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    System Model: G73Sw
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8170MB RAM
    Page File: 3005MB used, 11303MB available
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Law-II says thanks.
  4. ericcris10sen

Thanks Received:
    Anyone have any help?
  5. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean Aero with transparency enabled right?
    Right click on desktop -> customize -> select theme "Aero".
    You might also scroll to the bottom of the themes list, click on "window color and appearance" and check the "enable transparency" check-box.
    There is also a list of other effects that you can enable or disable to your liking, you can access those by pressing Windows + Pause/Break -> click on "advanced system options" on the left -> "advanced" tab -> "visual effects" tab-> under "performance" click on "settings" -> to enable all simply select "adjust for better appearance".

Remember, in order to enabled all of these Aero effects you need to be running your desktop at 32-bit mode, so thats why some of the games "disable" Aero effects because they run at 16-bit (or they disable desktop composition).
    Law-II and ericcris10sen say thanks.
  6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    W7 sometimes glitches switching to basic vs aero and asking after a gaming session if you want to switch to another theme. It will say something to the effect that your sys is running slow, blah, blah, blah. However if your page file is not set to an adequate amount, Windows will allot more a little at a time, which could result in this message. The latter was more common on XP though.

I used to think it was lots of RAM being used up, poorly optimized games, etc. Then I discovered many others were experiencing it from time to time. Clearly you have plenty RAM to run games and Aero. It does help to keep your drives defragged and have an adequate page file though.

Recently W7 had a lot of important updates, over a dozen. Some were vague in their description but I do recall one saying it improved W7 performance in general. It could be they've finally fixed this switch to basic thing. I've not noticed it happening since, but it never happened very often anyway, so I cant be sure.
    ericcris10sen says thanks.
  7. ericcris10sen

Thanks Received:
    Thanks so much you guys!!! I was so disappointed when I couldn't find out the reason it was doing it! I didn't even know what to search for because I didn't know that it was in 16 instead of 32 :) Thank you guys so much :)
    Law-II says thanks.
  8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    i know this day ram is not a major concern but i think it would be advisable to run Basic when a game loads to reduce the amt of resources being used by the OS itself and then return when the game ends
  9. ericcris10sen

Thanks Received:
    Yea I agree. I just don't want it in basic when I'm skimming the internet or watching a movie and being online. I like to multitask quite a bit and when it's not in basic, it helps out quite a bit.