1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by TheMailMan78, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    if you remember you could only play the Gears of War 3 beta if you bought Bulletstorm: Epic Edition but shortly after the beta was released it was open to all XBOX Live Gold members.

same with Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta.

a pre-order will get you early access then media outlets will give away codes in contests and once publishers can't exploit that anymore they open up the beta.

whatever happened to filling out a form and having exclusive access?

2. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    :) MOHLE to be exact.

PS
    They (Dice) are doing what BFp4F did in alpha and beta ,they would start in alpha phase for testing general ui and server strength(that test for BF3 happens this weekend),Then after a week or 2 of that the went right to full beta(closed) to test new things like graphics,weapon,balance....then after a month of that they did an other full server stress test before they wet live open(which we are still doing)but they also have us closed beta testers still testing in PTE(also open guys) for teir 3 stuff.So hopefully when August 3rd comes we get closed beta until Sept 15 i think open beta happens.

From a few pages back,It was also for guys who had the beta access card in the dvd case :) ;)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Thats the way most betas work, either gain access through pre-ordering a previous game, or filling out a form and waiting to be picked random. Then later on it just goes Open and then no more pulling names out of a hat for people who filled out forms.

4. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    well, I can get MOH around $14 here. If i bought it but didnt play it, but registered/activated the key, would i still get into a beta this late into the game?

5. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    this really works here is my settings if some of you want them ..Nice to have what I`m used too back.:)

// BF3
    KEY.W = KEYBOARD.UP
    KEY.A = KEYBOARD.LEFT
    KEY.S = KEYBOARD.DOWN
    KEY.D = KEYBOARD.RIGHT
    KEY.R = MOUSE.BUTTON3
    KEY.Z = KEYBOARD.Period
    KEY.Q = KEYBOARD.PAGEDOWN
    KEY.G = KEYBOARD.END
    KEY.F = KEYBOARD.DELETE
    KEY.V = KEYBOARD.DOT
    KEY.X = KEYBOARD.ForwardSlash
    KEY.Space = RightControl
    KEY.LeftShift = RightShift
    KEY.E = Enter

Open the program then copy paste it to the ui window,Click file save,Then click the play button too run it.start game.

nope ,you have to have bought the LE version with the beta access card and register that card for the beta.

FreedomEclipse says thanks.
  6. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Interesting that you use the numpad, you a southpaw with the mouse I assume?

7. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I picked up MOHLE on last steam sale and it tells me i have beta access. So, I guess I'll have to wait till then to play.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    nope i`m right handed and have used the arrow keys for movement since the Doom days,Only thing about that program is when you slect mouse wheelup for nades and mouse wheeldown for melee it messes the game up.So i can live with the main keys set for my taste.

9. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Your keyboard positing must be way to the left :p I set my keyboard on my lap, would be almost impossible to use arrow keys with left hand.

If you want to fix mice bindings, get a gaming mouse, my RAT 7 is sexy for bindings.

TheMailMan78 says thanks.
  10. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    Last night was fun. Lets do it again tonight around 8CST?

11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    RAT 7 is the best mouse ever made.....period!

Beta is just a fancy way to say demo nowadays. Its all marketing.

12. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I started to get that one when my 518 died.. but I couldn't wait and got a Razor Death Adder at Best Buy. It kicks my old 518's ass. It took me a couple days to get use to it, because I used that 518 for 3 years.. :toast: But once i did it kickass. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    back in the days DEMO's used to be free, now you have to jump through hoops and pre-order or buy all sorts of malarkey like morris dancing with nuns before you 'qualify' for their demo.

I was playing the BF2 demo for a good month before i decided to buy the game, totally loved it

14. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Then you've never had the chance to play with the Naga... ;)

who says having more then 15 buttons on a mouse isn't a love waiting to happen.

15. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    I guess some people still playin games with 3button mouses and arent complaining.i got 8 button mouse but using only 2 buttons + scroll

16. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    That was because companies realized they could get away with forcing you to buy a lower quality game just for the ability to test their blockbuster game before buying it. Do you think Crackdown, Bulletstorm, or Medal of Honor would have sold 1/2 of what they all did without the attached Beta's they contained?

17. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    My razer lachesis is alright when it works properly. The 5600 edition which is what i have is finicky and they never release firmware updates.

Mindweaver says thanks.
  18. Boneface

Thanks Received:
    My Deathadder is going in the crapper, right click works sometimes or when i zoom itll zoom in then out then in real quick. Took apart to clean, helped but not as much as i would like. In BC2 i just switched to thumb button, worked great lol.

So far im enjoying the Alpha, love setting up the m249 and laying cover fire lol

Mindweaver says thanks.
  19. The Witcher New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man after playing the game (alpha) for 10 hours I can defiantly say that the final game will be one hell of a campers fest.

There are lots of bugs which is to be expected in an alpha trial but I really hope that they fix all of them before the final release (unlikely).

It's really hard to detect people with your eyes if they are a few meters away from you. You have to be extremely focused and look for tiniest distortion.

20. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Did not work for me and Gully but perhaps cause we edited it? I had it "running".

It's one map with limited weapons and no vehicles yet. Much less custom controls. I doubt it will be that always...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
    Killer_Rubber_Ducky says thanks.
  21. Boneface

Thanks Received:
    Lmao, Nm didnt realise i could change what does what with my mouse using the Control panel, didnt knwo it would take affect in game to. Nice to be able to zoom and not have to worry if it stay zoomed lol

22. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    bone saw!!!! Bone saw!!!!

23. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Might just be the map but it feels way too cod-esque... Right now its a non-purchase

24. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    DICE has been stressing that the beta will be an open beta on all three platforms. MoH people should get early access, probably for a few days to two weeks, max.

25. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    Gamespy - Exclusive: Secrets of the Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial

By Daniel Hindes | Jul 27, 2011
    An in-depth look at the new features revealed in the ongoing BF3 test run.

With Battlefield 3's closed multiplayer Alpha testing currently underway, a select few players have been getting hands-on time with its new infantry and weapon mechanics. We've examined their extensive YouTube footage -- frame-by-frame Zapruder style -- and unearthed the key new features these lucky souls are playing with. You might be surprised at what we've found -- DICE has included some amazing new game mechanics that fundamentally change the way you'll play Battlefield.

Get on the Floor

Lying down is the new crouching. The prone position, conspicuously absent from Bad Company 2, makes a welcome return in Battlefield 3. DICE deliberately left it out of the Bad Company series, as the developer intended for players to constantly be on the move -- not camping behind a piece of rubble.

So what does its return mean for Battlefield 3? Slower, more tactical infantry movements for starters. You're not going to be able to burst into a room and take everyone head-on, as any enemy lying down with his heavy machine gun will pick you off before you have the chance to say, "Boo."

But prone also brings with it a number of issues. Battlefield 2 veterans still suffer less-than-pleasant flashbacks to its dolphin-diving antics, while competitive players still swear by easy headshots thanks to the instant accuracy boost when hitting the deck. There's also that golden oldie of grass -- how does the game deal with drawing it? A prone player might think they're hidden comfortably behind these green blades of invisibility, but will they be seen by somebody on the other side of the map?

To combat these problems, Battlefield 3 attaches a few conditions to its prone mechanic. Heading for the deck will cause the crosshairs to instantly and significantly expand, as accuracy goes out the window. Additionally, DICE has added a short delay between hitting the prone button and when the player can start shooting. It all adds up to dolphin diving becoming a fools errand - as it should be.

Cutty Says Hi

Melee moves have always been troublesome in multiplayer games. The quick-knife kills typified by the Modern Warfare series are rarely satisfying -- for those on both ends of the sharp stick. Things like the Commando perk make teleporting into melee range beyond ridiculous. Battlefield 3 solves this with the introduction of a more nuanced knifing system.

Players can still quick-knife -- run up to an enemy and tap a button for an agile stab -- but they also have the option of holding their blade as their primary weapon. With knife in hand, players can take the time to sneak behind an opponent and initiate a stealth kill. This is a special kind of melee kill that locks both players into a visceral animation. The one doing the stabbing will pull back their opponent's head and stick 'em in the chest, while the victim's perspective will automatically spin around to see their killer deliver the fatal blow. This means that getting knifed is no longer a "WTF just happened?" moment -- you got outplayed, and your opponent has the dog tags to prove it.

The alpha still has a few issues with the canned animations -- knifing someone while they're prone will cause them to stand up before the animation plays -- but expect these to be fine-tuned very soon.

Suppress the Truth

Enduring a shower of hot lead in the older Battlefield games wasn't really a big deal. This all changes in Battlefield 3, with a new suppression effect ripped right out of Battlefield 2's Project Reality mod.

Suppression is a true game changer; the idea is to simulate the involuntary human reaction to getting shot at -- also known as complete and utter terror -- by creating localized blurs on the screen where bullets are flying past your head. This, combined with a punchy and refined snap, hiss, and whiz of lead will make players think twice about sticking their head up while under fire. But it's not just a visual affect, as suppression affects gameplay too.

Soldiers under fire will suffer from reduced hip-fire accuracy until they regain their composure. Players doing the suppressing -- by shooting at and around enemies -- will earn suppression points, even if someone else delivers the killing shot.

The end result of the suppression system is a far more physical experience for players when the bullets start flying, and it finally makes the game's light machine guns work the way they do in real life, as a tool for keeping the enemy behind cover. Players will have to think tactically and outside the box -- keeping an enemy pinned with a light machine gun can be just as rewarding as waiting to take them out with a headshot.

Frickin' Laser Beams

Ever looked directly into a laser pointer? Hurts, doesn't it? Battlefield 3 is going to give players the chance to blind their enemies with the next best thing -- red laser sights.

As an underbarrel attachment, the laser sight offers increased accuracy by showing exactly where the next bullet is going to hit. But that accuracy comes at a cost -- shine the laser sight in the face of an enemy, and they'll receive a brief, bright red flash as the laser dot bounces off their retinas. It's not specific enough to give away your position, but it's strong enough to let them know that they're about to be shot, and will prompt them to take cover.

A second underbarrel attachment for Engineers comes in the form of a flashlight. Not only does it illuminate darkened areas like the underground sections of the Paris metro, but it can be shone in the faces of enemies to temporarily white out a player's screen and blind them. This makes Engineers great at storming enclosed areas, as they can take advantage of the flashlight disorientation. Of course, in open areas flashlights turn the holder into a giant glowing target.

Surface Tension

Many of Battlefield 3's weapons now come from the gun shop with a useful new bipod attachment, which can be mounted on any surface. It's as easy as right-clicking to aim down the sights while near something of the appropriate height. If you can't find something, just go prone -- anywhere on the floor counts.

Mounted weapons have the advantage of increased stability, so they won't kick as much with each shot, which means you can empty the 100-round clip of a light machine gun with much greater confidence. Combine this with the game's suppression system, and the Support class now has something to do beyond aiming for direct kills. But, like every new mechanic in Battlefield 3, it comes with its disadvantages.

Mounted weapons have a limited viewing arc of about 90 degrees. If you come under fire, it'll take extra time to pack up the bipod and be free to move again. And, if an enemy simply blows up the piece of the environment your weapon is mounted on, you're going to look like a right idiot as you suddenly start shooting the roof. There's a time and a place for mounting weapons, and it's not in the middle of a pitched firefight!

----------

Spy Guy says: I had the chance to unload on enemies in Battlefield 3 using the bipod-equipped LMG at the E3 demo. It. Was. Awesome. Combined with the new suppression mechanic, the Support Class is about to become a rock star. It's just one of the major changes coming to Battlefield 3, as you can see by this article, and DICE has even more new features up its sleeve. What are your thoughts on the tweaks and additions, and what else would you like to see in Battlefield 3?