1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Beginner OC'er Needs Review And Advice Please!! :)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Krazzeekane, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Krazzeekane New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello all, name's Kane. My father recently got himself a new computer and gave me his old one, and as a gamer I've been looking to get the most bang for my buck out of this system. Me and him took it down to parts and cleaned everything, along with an alcohol wipe and brand new application of some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste (straight line applied). It's only been a day so I'm planning on letting it cure for another couple of days before I attempt overclocking (I had heard that was necessary, but I'm not sure), but first I need advice from the good people of this fine forum!

My CPU is an Intel E8500 (Wolfdale) sitting at 3.16ghz. It has a new application of Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, and a ThermalTake CL-P0497 cooler on it. Under Idle I've noticed a discrepancy in temperatures, and I've tried multiple different programs and they all report the same. Under complete idle my cpu's have a temperature range of about 5C. The first one stays around 34-35C, but I cannot get the 2nd core to drop below 39-40c. I read about how it could be stuck, so decided to run the Real Temp sensor test and had some odd results. I'm not quite sure how to interpret them, so I'm hoping you all can help me.

My questions are two-fold. One: Is my computer safe to be overclocked with the load and idle temperatures you see in the image? I plan to push it around 3.8 ghz, nothing too high or fancy. Just want a little boost.

Two: What is up with my CPU and why is there a discrepancy in the temps under idle, and to a lesser degree, load? Is my CPU going to be fine to handle the load of OC'ing? And are there any tips or things I could do to help my system or fix anything that might be wrong? Sorry if I seem a worry-wart, I just want my computer to be in prime-shape for overclocking, never done it before and I don't want to bust my system.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope to hear back with some good answers! :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, room temperature at the hottest part of the day is about 30c, dropping to around 26c at night. Don't know if that affects anything but felt I should list it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  2. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Core temps are never the same temp using any monitoring programs, though I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, personally I tend to just go with core 0 and use that as my CPU core temp. you should be able to get a good 3.8-4ghz out of your chip fairly easily and Realtemp is reporting that you have a good 55-60c before you hit TJ max or max core temp before you chip will start to throttle, so go for it :toast:

Krazzeekane says thanks.
  3. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    4.2GHz is possible with decent air cooling

Krazzeekane says thanks.
  4. Krazzeekane New Member

Thanks Received:
    Really? Dang never thought i could hit 4.2ghz on this thing. I'm worried since its an older processor, is overclocking it so high smart? Or will it die really quickly as it's a couple years old anyway? Also how best could I cure my thermal paste? I used Arctic Silver 5 and it recommends 50-200 hours of time, or around 40 thermal cycles according to some people. Is there a way I could induce it quicker so I may start over-clocking tomorrow or the day after? Or should I wait a full week?

5. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Overclocking safely will not kill the processor, only overvolting it will kill it and you would need to pump at least 2+ volts over stock to do any damage. You don't need to cure it, it will happen naturally over time and may only give -1/-3c difference anyway, you don't need to wait until it cures to OC :toast:

6. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    given that people OC'd the exact same model back in the day to 4+ ghz & probably still run it fine, it shouldnt matter that you're only starting now after it's been in use at stock for a few years

just watch the temps

also intelburnintest is my preferred app for testing stability & checking how hot it can get