• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Beginner OC'er Needs Review And Advice Please!! :)

Krazzeekane

System Name Main Rig
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (Wolfdale) @3.16GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5GC-MX/1333
Cooling ThermalTake CL-P0497
Memory 2048 MBs Patriot
Video Card(s) Radeon HD 6770
Power Supply Rosewill Green Series RG530-2
Hello all, name's Kane. My father recently got himself a new computer and gave me his old one, and as a gamer I've been looking to get the most bang for my buck out of this system. Me and him took it down to parts and cleaned everything, along with an alcohol wipe and brand new application of some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste (straight line applied). It's only been a day so I'm planning on letting it cure for another couple of days before I attempt overclocking (I had heard that was necessary, but I'm not sure), but first I need advice from the good people of this fine forum!

My CPU is an Intel E8500 (Wolfdale) sitting at 3.16ghz. It has a new application of Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, and a ThermalTake CL-P0497 cooler on it. Under Idle I've noticed a discrepancy in temperatures, and I've tried multiple different programs and they all report the same. Under complete idle my cpu's have a temperature range of about 5C. The first one stays around 34-35C, but I cannot get the 2nd core to drop below 39-40c. I read about how it could be stuck, so decided to run the Real Temp sensor test and had some odd results. I'm not quite sure how to interpret them, so I'm hoping you all can help me.

My questions are two-fold. One: Is my computer safe to be overclocked with the load and idle temperatures you see in the image? I plan to push it around 3.8 ghz, nothing too high or fancy. Just want a little boost.

Two: What is up with my CPU and why is there a discrepancy in the temps under idle, and to a lesser degree, load? Is my CPU going to be fine to handle the load of OC'ing? And are there any tips or things I could do to help my system or fix anything that might be wrong? Sorry if I seem a worry-wart, I just want my computer to be in prime-shape for overclocking, never done it before and I don't want to bust my system.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope to hear back with some good answers! :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, room temperature at the hottest part of the day is about 30c, dropping to around 26c at night. Don't know if that affects anything but felt I should list it.

Attachments

• SystemReports.jpg
    SystemReports.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Core temps are never the same temp using any monitoring programs, though I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, personally I tend to just go with core 0 and use that as my CPU core temp. you should be able to get a good 3.8-4ghz out of your chip fairly easily and Realtemp is reporting that you have a good 55-60c before you hit TJ max or max core temp before you chip will start to throttle, so go for it :toast:

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
4.2GHz is possible with decent air cooling

Krazzeekane

System Name Main Rig
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (Wolfdale) @3.16GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5GC-MX/1333
Cooling ThermalTake CL-P0497
Memory 2048 MBs Patriot
Video Card(s) Radeon HD 6770
Power Supply Rosewill Green Series RG530-2
Really? Dang never thought i could hit 4.2ghz on this thing. I'm worried since its an older processor, is overclocking it so high smart? Or will it die really quickly as it's a couple years old anyway? Also how best could I cure my thermal paste? I used Arctic Silver 5 and it recommends 50-200 hours of time, or around 40 thermal cycles according to some people. Is there a way I could induce it quicker so I may start over-clocking tomorrow or the day after? Or should I wait a full week?

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Really? Dang never thought i could hit 4.2ghz on this thing. I'm worried since its an older processor, is overclocking it so high smart? Or will it die really quickly as it's a couple years old anyway? Also how best could I cure my thermal paste? I used Arctic Silver 5 and it recommends 50-200 hours of time, or around 40 thermal cycles according to some people. Is there a way I could induce it quicker so I may start over-clocking tomorrow or the day after? Or should I wait a full week?

Overclocking safely will not kill the processor, only overvolting it will kill it and you would need to pump at least 2+ volts over stock to do any damage. You don't need to cure it, it will happen naturally over time and may only give -1/-3c difference anyway, you don't need to wait until it cures to OC :toast:

given that people OC'd the exact same model back in the day to 4+ ghz & probably still run it fine, it shouldnt matter that you're only starting now after it's been in use at stock for a few years

just watch the temps

also intelburnintest is my preferred app for testing stability & checking how hot it can get