1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best 680i out now?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by SK-1, Sep 9, 2007.

1. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    I am one of those people who cant decide on ATI or Nvidia for an upcoming upgrade.
    Crossfire or SLI for my future, I just cant decide.I keep hearing that Nvidia's 8800 have a better visual quality, so if I go the Nvidia SLI route, what is the best SLI Intel board you guys would recommend now or in the next 30 days or so? I also will want to OC my Q6600:), so keep that in mind with your suggestions.

2. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    I reckon evga has one of the nicest 680 boards. Pretty sure MSI make a good one too...

I would tell you to go x fire instead, only coz I like ati..... :) sli is just as good though...

3. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    read post 9, http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=39084&highlight=680i

yeah Im pretty sure MSI makes an awsome 680i board.. or was that a x35? I looked around cant find the topic.

maybe it was this... 2x 16 pci-e and 1x 8 pci-e for physics.. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23761&vpn=IN9 32X-MAX WIFI&manufacture=ABit

Yeah I was just looking around at the store b4 and came across some cool ones.. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25468&vpn=LP UT NF680I LT SLI-T2R/S&manufacture=DFI http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25124&vpn=N68S7AA-8EKRS2H&manufacture=Foxconn Group some interesting ones I guess... go with what newtekie said though and get a non-reference design.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
    SK-1 says thanks.
  4. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Looks like it is ASUS for the non reference design would be a nice choice.
    I have been ATI sooo long 9700--->on, that I think I need a change.

5. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    this one here? ASUS P5N32-E SLI Nforce 680I? Im to tired to comprehend the reference and non-reference design as usual lol been dling crap all day and converting it :p

6. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    yea Evga, Msi makes some good boards and i say go with Nvidia

7. fafa21 New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
  9. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Asus makes the best 680i boards right now, next to that I would say eVGA.

10. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    Looove my P5N32-E SLI, beats the EVGA in my opinion, have used both. Although the EVGA has more bios options so better for extreme OC'ers.

11. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    i have both a evga and the asus 680i the asus was better for overclocking but i get better gaming performance out of the evga dont no why probably because it made by nvidia and i had so many problems with the asus with crashs but think it was just my ram but if your goin to oc go with the asus striker extreme and make shore its not the 1st revision thats 1.0g try to find the newer revision 1.3 and thebeephaha the asus striker extreme is not the same as the P5N32-E SLI my look it but its designed different for better oc and so on thats why there is a board just called the asus striker and its with out all the extras the the extreme has

12. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would go with the Dfi.

13. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    Well, as far as my board being different, thats obvious but its built on the same PCB (u can see empty spots where stuff would be on the Striker Extreme) and it has the exact same chipset revisions if u remove the heatpipes and check and the only other major differences are the addition of LEDS, swithces, eSATA, better heatpipes, and slightly different BIOS. BUT I could be wrong, I've not looked into it much further than that.

14. Flamingsupernova

Flamingsupernova New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte make a great 680sli motherboard, the GA-N680SLi-DQ6.

15. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    ok 1.In the middle of the CPU socket the capacitor pads is full a sure sign of quality that also improves the overclockability of the board unlike the P5N32-E SLi were its not full 2. Only solid capacitors are used on the Striker Extreme, and seeing that they are manufactured by Fujitsu, there should be no quality concerns whatsoever and i no the board layout looks the same board but the asus striker extreme is made for overclocking when the P5N32-E SLI is not would you like me to go on :laugh: here man take a closer look http://sg.vr-zone.com/articles/ASUS_Striker_Extreme_&_P5N32-E_SLi/4528-4.html

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  16. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    LOOK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  17. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    Okay okay, you got me they are different!! :banghead: But... even VR-Zone says they pretty damn identical when it comes to performance.

"The most obvious difference at first sight is the simpler heatpipe setup found on lower-end ASUS boards. Comparing both boards however it is obvious that the P5N32-E's PCB is identical to that of the Striker Extreme. The northbridge and southbridge remained unchanged, the 680i SLi SPP (C55XE) and the 590 MCP (MCP55) are used here as well."

"Most of the downgrades from the Striker Extreme to the P5N32-E SLi are those of the bling-bling and convenience category, ones which one can easily live without. As for the removal of several electrical components, we believe that overclocking performance should not be affected much except in extreme overclocking scenarios. While we will have to look at the performance of the P5N32-E before making conclusions, so far nothing extremely important seems to have been thrown out."

"Fortunately for those wanting nForce 680i without the large hole in the wallet normally associated with high-end purchases, the P5N32-E SLi offers the same performance and overclocks at a much cheaper price of (US$234 / S$359), albeit without the bells and whistles of the Striker Extreme. And unlike the Striker Extreme, the P5N32-E SLi sits below the competition in terms of price, offering probably the most bang-for-buck nForce 680i solution."

But if you got the money, get the Striker Extreme! Anyways thats all I have to say! :toast:

18. MicroUnC

MicroUnC New Member

Thanks Received:
  19. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, if you are looking for a Striker Extreme.... I have a BRAND NEW one, still sealed and has not been opened.

If you are interested in it, shoot me a PM

:toast: