1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best motherboard to complement a 5000BE?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Black Panther, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is going to be a 'budget' gaming build, in which I'll put an 8800GT and a 550W PSU (both of which currently form part of my own desktop).

I have spare DDR2 800Mhz as well, so what I need to buy essentially is just a mobo and a case...

I would like your suggestions for a mobo which would enable me to oc the 5000BE reasonably using aftermarket air cooler.
    I dunno if I'm saying something stupid (I am not much up to date on AMD.... :eek:) but is the only choice of mobo that of an AM2+ socket or perhaps do mobos which take DDR3 still be compatible with the 5000BE?

Btw, it's quite likely that unless I find a better deal I'd have to choose from the motherboards here...

Thanks.
    :toast:

2. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Yes, AM2 or AM2+ are the only board options. Please note AM3 chips will work in an AM2 socket as well so boards labelled AM3/AM2+ are also perfectly ok.

AMD's memory controller is built into the processor so DDR2 is the only RAM a 5000 BE will be able to handle.

This was a nice board, full of options, good OC, and is currently in stock on that site.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-180-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1482

I would wait for other to chime in because they may know a better place to shop in the UK.