1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best SSD => 120GB =< $319 US

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Mindweaver, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all I need a little help or a push!

I have an Intel 40gb G2. Now I would like to update my laptop that I use mainly for work. I want to install XP on to the drive (Please no one say WHY XP you should use Win7). I plain to upgrade to Win7 down the road when some of the programs i use support Win7.

Now for the big question! What is the best SSD greater than or equal to 120gb and under $319. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Sandforce 1200 is the latest and greatest for SSD. I'm looking for fastest read and fastest write possible for the price. And something that has XP software to use the Trim support feature.

I have been looking at the OWC Mercury Extreme pro, but I've seen some reviews and its not the fastest. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. ron732

ron732

Thanks Received:
    I don't think you can get TRIM support with XP. You could run Win 7 and use your legacy XP programs in Win 7 XP mode.

3. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. ron732

ron732

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried running XP in a virtual machine? At work we use Oracle VirtualBox to do Red Hat Linux development on Windows XP machines. Never had any problems running Red Hat in a virtual machine. We also just started doing Android development in a virtual machine running Ubuntu. If I had Windows 7 I would try XP in a virtual machine for you but I haven't upgraded yet.

5. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can definitely get a 120gb Agility 2 or Vertex 2 for less than $300. Crucial C300 has the highest read speed though.

6. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I've thought about running it in a VM and I do have a few VM's on my machine now, but I don't want to share space on an SSD for 2 OS's. If i could afford a 240gb..lol maybe.. I'm also running a good number of test DB's on this machine as well.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. ron732

ron732

Thanks Received:
  8. joytime360

joytime360 New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    u want my advice, if u look for extreme speed and equal to 120GB also 320$ range
    2xOCZ vertex 2 60GB on raid 0 , nothing better at all

Mindweaver says thanks.
  10. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Actually with Intel SSD drives you get an on-demand TRIM tool which can also be scheduled to run daily/weekly or whatever interval you prefer. Not automatic on OS level, but it does the job.

Mindweaver says thanks.
  11. GENTLEMEN New Member

Thanks Received:
    He's using a lappy, so it may or may not support 2 drives. Single SSD would be better if the lappy can't raid.

Mindweaver says thanks.
  12. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    A-DATA S599 AS599S-128GM-C 2.5" 128GB SATA II Inte...

A-Data, not the best known but according to it's spec's it has the great speeds. Idk how A-data does with their SSD's, but i had a set of ram from em that ran fine and still do in my bro's comp.

EDIT: saw the g.skill ones that people posted up, the phoenix Pro forsure.

Mindweaver says thanks.
  13. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    I just pulled the trigger on the G.Skill Phoenix Pro with sandforce sf-1200 chip for 279.99 @ the Egg. It thought about the Intel but I couldn't drop down to 80gb and the 160 is out of my price range. I like my 40gb drive reads, but the write leaves a little to be disired. The indilinx chip is good, but I like the specs on the sandforce sf-1200 with it's dura last tech (wear leveling).

I've read a lot of reviews from mac users and they were good. I say mac because it doesn't support trim command like XP. I've already purchased win7 pro x64 a few weeks ago to test all the software myself, but i have one SQL server running sql 2000, and i'm worried it won't let me install query analyzer or the manager. I guess i'll see. hehehe Thanks guys for all the help! :respect:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I own the G.Skill Pheonix Pro 120Gb. Pretty solid drive, I wouldn't settle for anything less that is unless you RAID 0 some Cheaper SSDs but you def lose TRIM.

15. surfingerman

surfingerman New Member

Thanks Received:
    OHH this is GOOD, SSD prices are finally dropping like a stone, they used to just stay flat for months!!

[​IMG]

looks like the golden age of SSD is coming, id say golden age is when 120GB costs under 120$, looks like maybe 14 months?

also anyone know if all this SSD mania, will lead to increase in ram performance, or drop in ram prices, due to volume>? just curious would be awesome to have some 3500hmz DDR4 lol

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  16. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope within 3-5 years HD's will be phased out completely and replaced with SSDs.

17. surfingerman

surfingerman New Member

Thanks Received:
    HDs will always have a place as long as they're cheaper than SSD's

18. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I heard that about floppies in 1995.

19. surfingerman

surfingerman New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok smart guy,
    Floopies arnt chepaer than CDs per GB, i guess i should have added in cheaper per GB,

if i could put 600MBs on a floppy for 1/2 the cost of CDs then i would probably be doing it even if it was slower, however the point is almost moot as cds are so low cost the difference is in cents which kind of defeats the price issue altogether in which case the only decision point left is convenience and performance, if a SSD cost 10$ and a HD cost $1 id buy the SSD, however were talking much larger figures

so lat me qualify my original statement that HDs will always be here while they are margin-ably cheaper than SSDs per storage volume AND their cost has not become completely trivial