1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

best UPS

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MUZAKKIR, Jan 21, 2013.

1. MUZAKKIR New Member

Thanks Received:
    frindz i m looking for a new ups for my system plz tell me which ups is best suited for my system...........i dont attach my monitor in ups.......

my specs:dg41rq,e5400,zotac gts 450,seagate sata 500gb,cx 500,2gb ddr2 kingston,
  2. timta2

Thanks Received:
    So you would probably be fine with something like a 1000VA model. Should give you a decent runtime. You could always pay more or less for more or less runtime.

I used to be a big APC fan, but the last few UPS systems that I have bought from them have been lacking in quality. I buy CyberPower now.
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    this thread will help me out too, as i'm researching a new UPS as well.
  6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I have this one CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series GreenPower UPS C... and it's been great for last 2-3 years and gives me plenty of time to shut the system down and still get around 30 min run time under 200w usage..

If i got another i would try out one of the ones that GTford posted although you do get 1 outlet less i believe.
  7. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    My latest is this one: APC BR1500G 1500 VA 865 Watt 10 Outlets Power Savi...

It will most certainly be overkill for your PC, but great if you want to be future proof.

On a sidenote do any of you guys with UPS ever purposely drain your battery and recharge? whats the best practice to maintain battery life?
    Aquinus says thanks.
  8. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I do not (nor have I ever) have a UPS...
    Maybe it is about time I invest in one:)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps some price class, you are comfortable with or money doesn't matter :D
  10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    +1: I have this UPS and it has done great. It can usually keep my rig plus monitors drawing 500-watts-ish for about 7 minutes or so and up to 15-20 minutes when it's idle and another 10 minutes if I shut off the monitors. It also occasionally switches to battery because of noise on the AC line. I don't think it's pure sine wave, but most hardware can run on a modified sine wave with the exception of certain electrically sensitive equipment.

Do not drain a Lead-Acid battery below 20%. (Don't let output voltage drop below 10v on a 12.6v battery.)
    Recharge the battery immediately after discharging, do not let it sit discharged if you can help it.
    Do not expose the battery to a sizable temperature gradient. (Don't put it on a cold floor in a warm room.)

I think those are the big ones.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    sttubs says thanks.
  11. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    I'm using the OPTI-UPS DS-1500B (Linus unboxing vid) with 2 extra batteries connected to it (it's the max number recommened for extra batteries) and it's been very good. I decided to buy a UPS coz brown outs/black outs are common in our area specially during the rainy season. I've never tried to test how long it would last though.

EDIT: Maybe the only complaint I have now is the fan on the back is starting to get noisy although I could try to replace it with a new one. :)