• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

best way to hook up 2 monitors and 1 tv

cly

Processor i5 6600
Motherboard Gigabyte Gaming 3
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Display(s) LG 34UC88-B 34-Inch 1440
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply EVGA 650G2
Mouse G502
Keyboard Sidewinder
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Here is what I am trying to do. I have a 4850 with 2 DVIs. I had one DVI going to my monitor and the other going to my big screen in the adjacent room. I ran it as a clone because I could not see the tv from my desk and I wanted to see what I was doing. No special DVI-HDMI adapter so I had to run a separate audio cord to the tv. I just bought another monitor so now I need to connect 2 monitors and my tv. Ultimately I would like to run an HDMI cable to the TV so that I do not have to use a separate audio cable since ATI cards can transmit audio. I can do this 2 ways. Either buy the ATI DVI-HDMI adapter that allows audio through the DVI port and connect an HDMI splitter to that to power one monitor and the TV. Then use the second DVI port for my other monitor. This would make my tv and monitor 1 cloned and the second monitor by itself. Or (here is the question) uby a second graphics card that has an HDMI output. Would buying a second 4850 be better because I could also run them on crossfire? If I run crossfire can I not use the video ports on the second card? Could I run monitor 1 and the TV as a clone or all 3 independently if I wanted to?

I know this is a lot of questions. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
personaly i would get the 2nd card, either the 4850 or a very cheap slow card just to run the TV,

i think you may need to disable Crossfire everytime you want to run the TV from the 2nd card however.

Reactions: cly