• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BFG Ageia PhysX Accelerator

regan1985

Processor yorkfield core 2 quad Q8200 3.2ghz 1.26v
Motherboard asus p5Q SE
Cooling akasa ak965
Memory Kingston 1066 2x2gb 1104mhz 2.2v
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE HD 2600 XT DDR3 857/1078
Storage 2X Samsung spinpoint 500GB 7200 4x 1tb samsung eco 5400
Display(s) 2xSamsung P2270 22" Widescreen
Case NZXT Hush Quiet Case in Black
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 500w Silent Power Supply
Software windows 7 64

satan_2.7

Yes Phsyx

ya this is gerat it improves profomance by takeing over all the phsyx aspects like lighting and well all the other stuff but i wouldent get it yet only ghost recon AW supports it i would wait some time befor getting it so more games support it as for the price WTF im not paieing that much i would pay $150 not $300-$400.

I don't know about it being great, but it does offer some slight improvements in the visuals and physics in games.
These cards are also meant to take the load off of the CPU and GPU for physic calculations.
However, the funny thing is, these physics cards actually lower FPS in games since there is more to make visual now with these (Don't know if that makes sense).
Right now they are not even close to worth it since it makes small and minor improvements to graphics.
Also, they are just way too expensive at the moment.
I would wait a while and let them evolve into something much better (if they stick around that long).

inZane

Processor AMD 4200+ AM2
Motherboard Asus M2N-e BIOS 0304
Cooling Stock
Memory 2 gig - OCZ Platinum DDR800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1900XT 512MB
Storage 2x Seagate 250gig SATAII
Display(s) Dell 19" CRT (POS)
Case Thermaltake Armor
Power Supply OCZ Modstream 520W
I think it supports 4 games now. JTF, GRAW, and a couple others that I can't think if right now (at work).

I don't think that it is worth it at this point due to the fact that it may not even stick. I am reading more and more about HavoX integration into games and GPU's that can handle the physics calculations on their own.

This is such a hot topic still that I know that some people will disagree with me. ( I think I encourage it, maybe I will learn something more)

Hey inZane,

I agree with your above statement. I just wanted to clarify something you said. Currently GPUs do handle the physics calculations on their own. All these companies are now doing is making a seperate card that can do the physics calculation. This allows for better calculation, since it is the only thing that this card does and less stress on the GPU. However, the reason there is a drop in FPS is bc the physic cards creates more detailed pictures.

It is kind of like how the sound card works. The CPU can handle sound. However, a sound card relieves the stress on the CPU, allowing it to work more effieciently. On top of that the sound quality is better.