1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Big Problem!

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Aleksander, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys!
    I bought the new cooler and it really cools too much, even the back of my graphic card.
    I was touching the graphic card during the operation and i touched even the hdd.
    Now i got a disk check for the both partitions of my hdd. In fact the hdd made a sound like a scrach and i touched it even in the green board. It only says to me format the hdd now. Is there a way i can save the files in my hdd??? Or even save the hdd!
    :respect:

2. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Was the computer turned on when you touched it?
    Anyways, you should always avoid touching directly the components on a board and grab the by the edges, and the disks by the body (sides).
    Failing in doing so can damage the components and, in worse cases, cause shorts with finger residue you may leave behind (always keep your hands clean when you touch electronics and grounded).

Well chances are you won't get your data back if you only get those options. Remove the HDD and try it on another computer with a different boot disk. See if windows can recognize it and thus recover the data.

The other way would be to replace the green board from a similar disk (same size, maker, firmware, etc...), since you most likely killed it.

I can't really come up with anything, because from what you're saying the HDD really went kaput.

P.S.: Why would you go touching the green board on the HDD??

Aleksander says thanks.
  3. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    yes the computer was turned on T_T
    I am using a program named: partition Recovery master server edition to get my data back. As far it has found 150 files. I got a garantee for the hdd about 6 months so i am in the garauntee. Do they replace the hdd with another one??? Cuz it got really killed
    I touched it in order to see if it was hotter than last time i touched it or not, but i didnt see the green board cuz it was down side.
    I am using another hdd in order to recover data. The computer recognizes it, but it says is not formatted. I am using my old 160 gb sata hdd.

4. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    How can you have too much cooling?? It's always the more the better.

It sounds like you've messed up the data on the HD somehow. Partition it, format it and reinstall. I doubt your HD is defective.

And next time backup your data. ;)

5. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    +1
    External HDD are very good for this and they aren't that expensive.

Well, I really got to ask, what were you thinking?!

The fact that it was turned on makes the hypothesis of the dead HDD more confirmed. In that case I don't really believe another Windows would recognize it.
    Option 2 would still be a salvation.
    You see, in this cases the data is still in the disk, but the HDD board, that contains the controller and all the other electronics, is damaged. That doesn't mean data loss, the disk just got inaccessible by normal procedures.

Also, warranty doesn't cover improper use and non-technician installation. I guess you could hide that you touched the board and see if they would believe it and still give you the new HDD, but for your data you would have to ask for them to recover it and that would cost you...very much.

And another thing, there are programs to check on temperatures. These are really good and take advantage of the S.M.A.R.T. program on the HDD to read the internal temp on the HDD, which is the one that matters. I can name a few if you want.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
    Aleksander and qubit say thanks.
  6. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Well i can't even believe in touching the hdd would destroy it. Anyway thanks for the replies.
    I would do my best to get the new hdd with the warranty.

7. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    When it's not working, it isn't advised that you touch (because of static electricity) it but chances are slim that it would get it destroyed (if you're properly grounded). But when it's working, besides being advised or almost mandatory not to touch it, touching more than two electronic components or pins causes the odds of causing a short-circuit sky-rocket. And it's really easy to touch a board surface and be touching a couple of resistors or a dozen of pins of a chip.
    This is basic electrical/electronic knowledge.

And, as I said, the HDD isn't likely to be destroyed, the data is still in the plates. The HDD board, that makes the HDD work, may have been damaged, making it malfunctioning in the view of the operating system.

Aleksander says thanks.
  8. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Did you touch the naked circuit board ?

If you did you could have short circuited it.

Aleksander says thanks.
  9. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Just touching the PCB of a graphics card, HD or other device with your bare fingers is extremely unlikely to damage it. You have to apply some force (pushing or impact) catch on a component and pull it off or touch with a metallic object to short it out.

The fact that you can recover files with that recovery program tells you that the HD is working. You messed up the partitions in some way that you haven't told us. It's really not that hard to trash the data on a HD.

And I can only repeat to back up your data. I can't stress enough how important this is. Was it just the OS that got trashed with no backup, or personal data such as emails, pictures, music etc? This is the stuff that's critical to back up.

Aleksander says thanks.
  10. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Yes i have touched the naked circuit board with foots naked T_T
    How can i circuit it out?
    And EVERYTHING got trashed, cuz i have all things in the hdd. OS and everything you can think of.

11. crush3r

crush3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Moisture from your fingers could connect two components that aren't supposed to be connected, blowing it

Aleksander says thanks.
  12. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Not to mention the skin itself is a electrically conductive surface.

13. crush3r

crush3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed!

Also, if he was charged staticly he could've damaged the components by touching them.

14. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Well what happened has happened. What to do now?

15. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Did you recover your files? Yes? Then reinstall as I said above.

16. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    To recover files it says i need more than 10 days T_T
    Should i use a screwdriver to short it out?

17. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    If that's how long it needs and if your data is very important to you...just let it finnish.

Please explain yourself, because what you just said doesn't sound right to me.

18. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Why the hell would you be poking around your case when the power is on?? This is computing 101, it's just not worth it. If you wanted to know the temperature of your components there are monitoring programs that allow you to do this.

Shame you learnt the hard way.

19. qubit

Thanks Received:
    What the hell is T_T??! Short out what?

Do you have any idea what you're doing? People want to help you, but then you talk gibberish in almost every post. :rolleyes:

20. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    I think "T_T" = :cry:
    It's just another way of doing it.
    Electronics is not strong with this one.

qubit says thanks.
  21. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Yes T_T=crying
    @qubit
    You said: catch on a component and pull it off or touch with a metallic object to short it out
    Now i just can't figure what exactly are you trying to say, but what i got is touching a screwdriver with the hdd green board will short it out. If i am wrong pls reply!
    :respect:

22. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    :ohwell:

Please DON'T try to short anything out.

It won't make your HDD do its recovery any faster. If anything it would make your HDD fail all the more.

Perhaps try to be a bit more cautious next time. Do some research on the net or ask about it here.... before and not after... :(

23. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    I think Qbit was referring to what has to be done in order to cause a short-circuit, not what you will have to do to save your HDD.
    Again, causing short-circuits IS BAD!

Not only will it not resolve your problem, it will aggravate the situation by definitely killing what is left of your HDD.
    Take the time needed to recover the data, then do as Qbit said: Format and reinstall.

Aleksander says thanks.
  24. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I was just saying that if you accidentally catch on a component, you can pull it off and damage the board. As I said before, just touching a board with your fingers is extremely unlikely to damage it. Especially if it's plugged into the motherboard, where any static is likely to be dispersed before it can harm it.

Yeah, touching the board with a screwdriver could possibly kill it, depending on exactly how it happens. In most instances I would expect either nothing to happen, or a malfunction from the short which can be cleared with a reset, or switching the PC off and on again.

The fact you can recover your files, suggests that the HD is physically ok and the data is simply corrupted.

Are you trying to recover the operating system, or personal data? If it's the OS, don't bother and just reinstall it.

Aleksander says thanks.
  25. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Normally the thread name is big problem. So i am trying to recover all the data except the os cuz i already installed it in my old hdd.