1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BIOS flash Problem!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Lionheart, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, just need some help with my new computer, basically its not working, for example when I turn my computer on it just powers up and the moniter says no signal.

This has only started to happen recently when I tried updating my motherboard BIOS, I checked if it was the right motherboard and everything and it was so I wouldnt have any screw ups ans I used WINflash to update the BIOS, it was working at first but then it stopped at 56% for about a minute and it just restart and it hasnt worked since.

I have also tried resetting the CMOS with the jumpers and that hasnt done anything at all, I tried that for hours on end so I tried taking the battery out and that didnt do anything, have botherd with the ram yet but seriously I dont think ram would stop the screen from loading.

Does anyone have any ideas on whats wrong, obviously I asume my MOBo maybe f..k..d up but just want to find out if there is any other solution that I haven't tried yet, any help guys would appreciate it alot, cheers.:toast:

2. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, i think u r in serious trouble, this why i NEVER use a Windows based flashing method. Your only hopes at this point is the removable BIOS chip on the board itself and taking out the CMOS battery over night. If the BIOS chip is removable and clearing over night doesnt work you can look for one on ebay for your board or contact DFI and ask them to send you one. I actually just bought a DFI X48 but for the life of me cant remember if the chip is removable or not. If its not removable you have to RMA then.

In the future, dont use the Windows method, some people like it but i personally think its way too risky. Some manufacturers (Abit, for instance) tell the end user up front that there is 50% chance of a failed flash. Others are more reliable but even if the chance is small why take the risk? Of course, flashing is always a risk but i beleive its greater when flashing in Windows. DFI has Diamond Image Flash procedure with a floppy that is very easy. If you dont have one they also give instructions for USB key flashing method which a lot people like to use nowadays

3. kyle2020 Guest

Ouch, sounds like you have killed your motherboard with a bad flash :ohwell:

NEVER EVER EVER use windows based flashing methods! its just not worth the risk!

If its still under warranty, try and send it back for a cheeky replacement - if not, youll have to buy a new bios chip im afraid :(

BUT! before that, try reseating everything, test without your graphics card (so force it through onboard), try your ram sticks individually, etc. There may be light at the end of the tunnel just yet!

4. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:

the new BIOS chip will only work if the original can be taken out. Some manufacturers like to solder theirs to the board itself so if thats case he needs a new board.

And as you said, and i forgot to meantion, he should try different components, reseat, etc. there is a slim chance it will come to life. I truly hope that it does and he just learns a valuable lesson about flashing.

5. DMF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most modern BIOS have two sections: the main BIOS code and a "Boot" section. The two sections are flashed separately; the Boot section only after the main section succeeds, so your Boot section should still be intact.

Even if the thing won't POST due to corrupted main section, you should be able to boot to a flash floppy. You need to pull everything. Install a PCI VGA card and a floppy drive. Power up and the floppy should boot (you'll need a bootable floppy disc of course). You should then be able to flash again from a floppy with the flash utility and image.

Some BIOS are too big for a floppy. I *think* Boot section will look for a USB drive in that case but I'm not sure.

-----------
    An alternative is called a Hot Flash. You need a removable BIOS chip and another MB that takes the same type of BIOS chip. Pull the bad chip. Boot the other board, then pull it's BIOS chip while it's still powered up. Insert the bad chip and flash it.

Obviously this is dangerous but I've had good luck with it.

If you can find the same model MB, you can pull the good chip and use your board to hot flash. That way there's no risk to the good MB or BIOS.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
    Thrackan says thanks.
  6. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    remember this, bad bios flash + not removable bios chip or not double bios = a piece of DEAD ELECTRONIC

7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    damn it, had a feeling it was dead. thanks for the helps guys, i'll take it back and get a new one, cheers.

8. DMF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, did you even read my post ???

9. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    may be its just easier for him to RMA and get it over with?

But then again it will take time and he'll be without a board for a while.

I would try all the things recomended first though.

10. DMF New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can understand not wanting to hot flash, but the bare boot is a gimme (assuming you can lay hands on a PCI VGA card).

11. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    I did, quality info, thanks!

12. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    By your description everything is spinning up, but no video signal, is this the case?

Just a question. Does that board have built in video?

If yes, you could try moving you monitors plug from the card to the output on the motherboard. It could have defaulted back IGV or Integrated video.:)