1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bitcoins!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by pantherx12, Feb 17, 2011.

1. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Give BTC a month to recover from the disaster and over-speculation IMO

2. P1n3apqlExpr3ss New Member

Thanks Received:
    You expecting it to go up in other words?

3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    buy low, sell high.

4. matteumayo New Member

Thanks Received:
    :toast:

5. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Or the far more common; buy low, sell lower, pull hair.

6. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Mine lots, sell 1/4 at a price, see the price shoot up the next day, sell at what looked like a peak (another ~1/3), then see the price reach incredible amounts and sell the rest that you have and stop mining and making money cuz you can't live in the heat during summer

lost a few finger nails in the process

7. twilyth Guest

Sell high, buy low.

Go balls to the wall and do it on leverage.

Yeeeeaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaa!

8. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
  9. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone want to start up a TPU mining pool for fun? I know it's a bad time to start, but it would at least increase our rate of finding the block each round. Either that, or I am part of a small private pool that has 0% fees so you keep all of your coins. Let me know if you are interested in joining.

10. P1n3apqlExpr3ss New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^ Could be interested

11. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    is this even remotely profitable anymore? seems any money to be made is in playing the market and not by farming

12. P1n3apqlExpr3ss New Member

Thanks Received:
    Approx power usage for me is 1$ ish a day, while daily BTC worth is like $2-2.5

13. twilyth Guest

Great article. Short selling is what my last post was referring to but I don't know if people got that.

From the article:
    Short selling is when you think something is over valued. You then borrow that security from someone (at least in theory) and sell it as if it's your own. If the price drops as you expect, then you buy it back and return the loan - for a profit. Of course if you're wrong, well . . . .

Since there are always going to be people who think any particular security is over valued, there will always be short sellers in the market. This helps stabilize prices because if there is a sudden drop, these people, who are short-term traders anyway, will come in to buy and lock in their profit. If the price suddenly spikes, those same people will come in and buy to cover their losses.

14. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    my guess is it is still pretty profitable

Just calculated, I would do about 5.50$ worth of BTC per day, which is about 4.30$~4.50$ profit per day, so about 30$ a week. far from what I did in the past :(

15. Platibus

Platibus New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's more than the minimum wage here.

16. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I used to be able to do 20~30$ a day lol

17. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    oh yea, im a noob. bitcoins still fail though.

18. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I'm actually happy it is declining... Hopefully enough people leave so that we can start from almost scratch, and them make more money by being early adopters xD

Theses declines recently were predicted though

19. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    No you aren't.

Good luck having difficulty go down...

Cause when difficulty FINALLY DROPS the value will be below electricity cost.

Not really, nobody sold their BTC off, so they all got screwed. Nobody could really predict the decline after it hit $10.

20. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Considering there are way better investments both long term and short term. Absolutely.

21. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    The decline from 5$ to now was predicted (or at least speculated), and I have 0 BTC, I only bought low sold high (day-trading) lately and got bored. If BTC slows down even more than now, we could be looking at a dead period, and that could mean 2 things, BTC never comes back up, or there will be a short amount of time where mining will be as profitable as it was in the rapid increase. So if you mine when BTC is down (and when difficulty is down), then stockpiling could work in the LONG term. Where the most money will be at though, is at the beginning of the increase, where Bitcoin may go high quickly, and difficulty will go back up just as quickly. During that time,20$ per day with 2x 6870 may be plausible

I'm not saying this scenario is probable, I'm saying it is a good possibility, enough to get me excited. If it does happen, and you know how to milk the cow, then you can get easy money for a month or 2.
    So all we need is a stagnation for a few months, hopefully at below 1$ and where people will start selling off their BTC

22. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I must be thick, but this entire premise of making money out of nothing with nothing backing it up just screams of a scam where someone somewhere is getting rich. And the fact that this hasn't spread outside of the tech forum circles is reason enough to believe its a waste of time.

23. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Reason why the majority are tech forum users is becomes it's them who have the hardware to mine!

The concept is good, it just needs something to stabilize it's value a bit better

24. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Any fork that is made off of bitcoins has the creator premining MILLIONS of coins for themselves, and then releasing it to the public. That way, then the coins are worth something they can sell and make money!

25. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I actually profited well with Bitcoins.

Managed to buy a few games I wanted BF2, Crysis 2 (Waste lol) some hardware and have some left over to go towards a new GPU.

I've since stopped though after I had to reformat my computer and forgot to backup my wallet... :banghead:
    I lost the few coins I had left plus the difficulty increased just made it so I didn't turn back. It was good while it lasted and I hope something like this happens again so I can make use of it again.